Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by zimhunter
I live in So Az and as of now I live in fear of the 'check engine'light. Started several years ago on my 2006 Mustang. Light appeared,took it to Ford and $650 later they had spliced the wires on top of the transmission where the Pack rat had chewed it in two.Three months pass and same thing happened but this time they had to drop the Tranny to make the repairs - $800. On to a new 2013 Hyundai Veloster and same thing happened twice more. So I have been out over $2000 for check engine lights. Damage in all cases have included the o2 sensors. So I live in fear of the 'check engine' light. I have lights under my car (an led droplight) a floodlight at shoetop level shining under it,- all on a timer to come on at dusk and go off at daylight - and a strobe light in the engine compartment hooked to the car battery, all to no avail sadly. I even have mothballs and a bar of Irish Spring soap in the engine compartment. So if you have ideas lets hear them.

Keep a big, nasty cat in the garage.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You guys are scarey. I wonder what advice I would get on how to start a campfire?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by zimhunter
I live in So Az and as of now I live in fear of the 'check engine'light. Started several years ago on my 2006 Mustang. Light appeared,took it to Ford and $650 later they had spliced the wires on top of the transmission where the Pack rat had chewed it in two.Three months pass and same thing happened but this time they had to drop the Tranny to make the repairs - $800. On to a new 2013 Hyundai Veloster and same thing happened twice more. So I have been out over $2000 for check engine lights. Damage in all cases have included the o2 sensors. So I live in fear of the 'check engine' light. I have lights under my car (an led droplight) a floodlight at shoetop level shining under it,- all on a timer to come on at dusk and go off at daylight - and a strobe light in the engine compartment hooked to the car battery, all to no avail sadly. I even have mothballs and a bar of Irish Spring soap in the engine compartment. So if you have ideas lets hear them.

Keep a big, nasty cat in the garage.

Couple of rattle snakes which could be found locally might do.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I'd check the MAS, we had this very same issue a few years ago on my wifes 4 Runner and it gave us fits trying to figure out what was wrong with it.

It can be a real PIA ! Been trying to fix it myself , but looks like the car is going to the dealer for repair.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you try cleaning the MAS Hotload?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Kitch
I saw a chart today while there at the dealer and they charge up to $130 for spark plugs!! I nearly dropped my teeth. Use to those things were a little over a buck a piece and simple to replace in an older car. In this car I don't even see them or the ignition wires.

I've done the plugs on our '03 and '06 Corolla. It was about $10 per plug (Denso Iridiums), and maybe 35 min. of labor to do ('cause I'm slow). So, given dealer markups, labor rates, and shop charges, I can see them asking for $130.

It's really easy to do yourself, if you'd like to try.

1) Disconnect the battery.

2) The plugs are under the big plastic engine shroud, which comes off by unbolting 2 bolts, and giving a firm tug upward.

3) There are no wires - it's coil-on-plug. You unbolt 1 10mm screw, disconnect the wire clip, and pull straight up off the plug. You may wanna spend $8 on a magnetic, deep spark plug socket extension, and you'll push it down into the hole over the plug. Unscrew it like normal, and pull it right out.

4) Be sure to use Denso plugs with the exact product number and heat range specified in the book. A little anti-sieze compound on the threads, and dielectric grease on the resistor, and put them into the hole using the magnetic socket extension. Once they go in, turn counterclockwise 'til you feel them "click", having engaged the threads in the head. Now gently turn clockwise to tighten. Use a torque wrench if you'd like, or just go 1/4 turn or 1/3 turn past finger tight.

5) Reinstall the coil plugs, connecting the wires and installing the 10mm retaining bolts.

6) Reconnect the battery, and start 'er up. After confirming that everything sounds perfect, shut 'er down, and...

7) Reinstall the black engine shroud. Line-up the connection points, and press down firmly 'til they click into place. Reinstall the 2 retaining bolts and marvel both at how good you are, and how much $ you saved.

I believe both the '03 and the '06 models called for new plugs at 120k miles. However, the '03 began running rough at 108k. New plugs and MAF cleaning made it purr like new again. The '06, on the other hand, was running strong at 130k with the original plugs - go figure.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, it's been five days since I was at the dealer. They have the sensor in now for installation but at this point it seems useless to do it. I've got about 60 miles on it now and it's been started at least half a dozen times and the light hasn't come back on. Why spend more money it the light hasn't come on?

thanks for that explanation on changing the plugs...looks to be a PITA compared to my old Cuda.

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oxygen sensor.

Kitch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Even though the light hasn't come back on?

Kids are for people that can't have dogs
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by Kitch
I saw a chart today while there at the dealer and they charge up to $130 for spark plugs!! I nearly dropped my teeth. Use to those things were a little over a buck a piece and simple to replace in an older car. In this car I don't even see them or the ignition wires.

I've done the plugs on our '03 and '06 Corolla. It was about $10 per plug (Denso Iridiums), and maybe 35 min. of labor to do ('cause I'm slow). So, given dealer markups, labor rates, and shop charges, I can see them asking for $130.

It's really easy to do yourself, if you'd like to try.

1) Disconnect the battery.

2) The plugs are under the big plastic engine shroud, which comes off by unbolting 2 bolts, and giving a firm tug upward.

3) There are no wires - it's coil-on-plug. You unbolt 1 10mm screw, disconnect the wire clip, and pull straight up off the plug. You may wanna spend $8 on a magnetic, deep spark plug socket extension, and you'll push it down into the hole over the plug. Unscrew it like normal, and pull it right out.

4) Be sure to use Denso plugs with the exact product number and heat range specified in the book. A little anti-sieze compound on the threads, and dielectric grease on the resistor, and put them into the hole using the magnetic socket extension. Once they go in, turn counterclockwise 'til you feel them "click", having engaged the threads in the head. Now gently turn clockwise to tighten. Use a torque wrench if you'd like, or just go 1/4 turn or 1/3 turn past finger tight.

5) Reinstall the coil plugs, connecting the wires and installing the 10mm retaining bolts.

6) Reconnect the battery, and start 'er up. After confirming that everything sounds perfect, shut 'er down, and...

7) Reinstall the black engine shroud. Line-up the connection points, and press down firmly 'til they click into place. Reinstall the 2 retaining bolts and marvel both at how good you are, and how much $ you saved.

I believe both the '03 and the '06 models called for new plugs at 120k miles. However, the '03 began running rough at 108k. New plugs and MAF cleaning made it purr like new again. The '06, on the other hand, was running strong at 130k with the original plugs - go figure.

FC

I'll add change the plugs with a cold engine. I know a guy that didn't know this and stripped the threads in the head.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a habit when filling our vehicles of putting more gas in after the nozzle kicked off to round up the price. Our '04 Trailbazer got a check engine light so I had the code checked. There's a sensor in the vent tank and I screwed it up by getting gas in the vent system. I drove it at least another 80k miles with the problem before trading it off. I wasn't going to pay to drop the gas tank to fix it! whistle

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
You guys are scarey. I wonder what advice I would get on how to start a campfire?

No kidding. There is so much misinformation and guessing in this thread.

OP should have asked for advice on a circumcision. crazy

Sean
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Go to auto zone and have them read the code...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Swamp rats ate through my spark plug wires.

Check engine light came on and a miss started up intermittently. Pulled plugs and they looked and gapped fine. Then I noticed the ends by the cap nearly chewed all the way through.

Little fuggers.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 14 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,651
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.