Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I just checked the weather forecasts for my hunting area in the western Sierra's of Ka.
<br> I might get some rain and even some snow tomorrow, and freezing temperatures for the next 10 days. That should make the deer more active.
<br> If I get some significant rain to green up the winter range, they could start moving down. The winter range of my area is where most of the bucks are taken. It is much more open in nature.
<br> Mtn. Hunter, capt_e ?
<br> I'm headed out in a few hours to see if I can catch them feeding before the storm. E

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
E-
<br>
<br>We're getting snow here at 4,000 ft, I'm sure there were some surprised deer hunters this weekend. I missed the opener but will be heading out Wednesday. I talked to my friend who's ranch I hunt on and he and his wife took two nice mulies, he's getting his mounted. Their place is about 5,000ft elevation so it could get interesting as there is a storm blowing there direction. I usually hunt in t-shirt and jeans and 100 degree weather...think I'll take my wooly's this year, it was 28 degrees this morning.
<br>
<br>Good luck and let us know how you do. Take a camera.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
E,
<br> Sounds like a winner. I went up yesterday and did some scouting/hunting. The manzanita berry crop is gone, ripened and harvested by the bears already! I jumped a large bear while on the trail going thru some brush, he almost ran smack into me as he was trying to figure which way to go - a tense moment indeed! I got a quick glimpse of him, a chocolate furball making a "uuf......uff.......uff " as he scrambled around. The woods look great, lotsa acorns on the ground, big bluish grey squirrels scampering about gathering nuts. And lotsa mtn quail, from double hatches this year?
<br>
<br> And now for the bad news: My hunting vacation(Oct18-Nov3) may be cancelled due to a looming labor strike where I work. My dept is non-union so if the unionized employees decide to strike in the next few weeks, I have to be on duty to fill in. This is really playing with my emotions, I was really looking forward to hunting the Sierras this year with the season running a week later than most years. Watch the local news next week, you'll be able to figure out whom I'm employed with. Good luck to ya, kill one for me. MtnHtr

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Got just a touch of frost here in very northern CA this morning. Raining up in Medford, OR this evening, but all we have so far is clouds. Supposed to warm back up again by the end of the week.

E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Really sorry to hear that MH. In my younger days, I was known to walk away from a job to go hunting.
<br> Sometimes I wonder how I made it to retirement.
<br> I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
<br> My Mtn. Quail double hatched last year, apparently not this year.
<br> On my last scouting trip, I saw about four turkeys. Right where they've been since the snow open the mid ranges. In among the oaks and pines with the gray squirrels. E

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
E,
<br> The strike may start next week, the sooner the better in my opinion. It will end sooner hopefully. Pretty hard to walk away from a job which offers me 4 weeks paid vacation a year. This labor dispute comes around every 5 yrs, the company usually wins. I just hate to see my hunting trip go down the tubes, alot of preparation went into this one. I think I will get to go, just not as long as I hoped for. Mtn Htr

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 49 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,765
Posts18,515,337
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.