-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got a German Shepherd, best coon dog in these parts. Never see any Nappy Roots wanna be's stopping around here.

I'm pretty good at drinking beer
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by manydogs
Hand signals. Teach him to lay down, sit, come etc with only hand signals.

What a way to impress everyone.

This is an excellent idea...its also handy to move the dog when you don't want to make any noise ( depending on what you have planned for him)...and really handy if the dog eventually goes deaf.
I train all of mine with hand signals as swell as verbal and my last dog did go deaf in her old age. The transition from hearing to deaf was barely noticeable.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by tbear99
ok as promised here is pics of my gsd pup arthur

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

He is gonna be a good looking dog! I love the sables.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Appreciate the info, Gents and the offers...Isaac PM sent.

Here you go tbear. I love the Sables. My sister and BIL hunting pard's sable died old and left a big hole in BIL's heart. They moved to town for grandkids and he can't have a GSD there...so I didn't want to make things worse for him...:)

The first pic is on his 4 mo birthday today and following was 7 wks. He looks portly lying in the snow but he is lanky

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]
[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Defend the Constitution
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
great looking pup

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
they do grow into their ears smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty smart, he's already fetched you a vette!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by manydogs
Hand signals. Teach him to lay down, sit, come etc with only hand signals.

What a way to impress everyone.

This is an excellent idea...its also handy to move the dog when you don't want to make any noise ( depending on what you have planned for him)...and really handy if the dog eventually goes deaf.
I train all of mine with hand signals as swell as verbal and my last dog did go deaf in her old age. The transition from hearing to deaf was barely noticeable.

Same here my lab was deaf the last 3 or 4 years of her life, hardly noticed the transition. The only issue I ever had was getting her to come in from outside when she wasn't looking at me, once she could see me she would come running.

T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
we got him at 8wks....from silver spoon to podunk...:)

we were duck hunting and watched a guy direct his lab at umpteen yards with hand signals--permanently impressed me and the guys with me

GSDs probably could learn sign...will be a nice complement to service dog stuff...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Get the dog out and socialize him...have him meet as many people as humanly possible. It pays huge dividends down the road. ( i.e. meeting/greeting a delivery guy isn't such a big deal , so the dog is more calm about it.)

+1
I made the mistake of not socializing my GSD. At 2 years old, Ranger would only let 5 people in the house.
On the plus side ... I could have left the front door unlocked at night. No one was coming in.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tomk - great looking GSD. If I remember correct, at 4 mos Ranger's ears
had me upset. As in ... one would be up and the other ear was down.
A week later the second ear was up and first down. By 6 or 7 mos
both ears stayed up.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
We have a 10 y/o GSD laying around here somewhere--he is still pretty active...at shedding fur. His ears were up and down too, for all of 6-7mo, maybe longer. The little guys ears were up to stay by 3 months easily.

I hear you guys on the socialization. FWIW, IME, would add it's good to socialize them in the places you frequent. The old dog is fine here at the house and about, where we did spend the effort to socialize the bugger, but when we go to camp he's considerably more growly (TT).

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shortly after getting Ranger, I got a book called The Art of Raising a Puppy.
The book helped me a lot. Sounds like you already know GSDs but when
I get home tonite I'll dig around for it. You can have it IF I can find it.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Socialization is vital unless you are a regular attendant of 24H gatherings.

No dog, even yorkies, deserve such a display of debauchery.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
tomk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Hotload. I appreciate the offer and the advice you guys have given.

We have raised a few pups...

But I've never specifically trained one to do anything outside the normal expected dog stuff like: tracking (with hounds), killing coons at the birdfeeder, sit, stay, tie flies, etc...this little guy is sharp and his Dad is a cop dog, so I thought I would put some effort forth.

disclaimer: I never trained nor encouraged Amos to kill the neighbor's cat--that was completely on him.

Have picked up a few good idears from this thread to keep both of us busy...:)

Defend the Constitution
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

328 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 309coug, 17CalFan, 16penny, 39 invisible), 2,543 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,881
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.