Print Thread
Hop To
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anybody have one/either? Any thoughts or comments?

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Have both. What do you want to know?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Having owned quite a few Handi rifles I will venture to say that the absolute best one overall is the 45/70 Govt. followed close by the two mentioned by the OP.
45/70 gives you all that a .444 does in all categories and in addition gives you a much greater choice of bullet weights for reloading.
Just my opinion.YMMV.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Stan: Have often heard the same, and read the same about the 45-70, mostly about bullet choices, thank you. Recoil perception with the Handi Rifle in the 45-70?

aboltfan: Availability as far as ammo/and or reloading supplies in either caliber? Recoil differences between the calibers in the same weight rifle? Accuracy differences between the two in your experience? Do you reload for either, any differences/advantages to either?

Don't need any of the three of the above rifles, just an itch.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
maggie,

I have all three calibers mentioned. I started with two 45-70s when Mississippi made it legal for primitive weapon season. After shooting the .444 I liked it enough to buy two of them. About that time I also bought two 35 Whelen barrels for my Encores. Later I came across a deal on an H&R Handi in 35 Whelen that I couldn't pass up. All these were bought primarily for primitive weapon seasons for myself, family and friends to use. Over the years I've liked them enough to use in general season and hunting trips.

Now for opinions. First let me say that I love my Encores with 35 Whelen barrels. However when cost versus performance is taken into account I find the Handi rifle a better deal.

Secondly, most large stores will have multiple brands and types of factory ammo in all three calibers.

I load for all three calibers. I like all three but use the Whelen the most. I've used it on deer, hogs, bear and moose. It has a trajectory close to the 30-06 and that makes it pretty much useable in whatever type hunting you may anticipate. It has a broad range of bullet weights that makes it very versatile.

The .444 is a underrated cartridge. It's accurate and handloaded with heavier bullets very effective. It also has a bit better trajectory than the 45-70. My handload uses the Speer 270gr. Gold Dot flat point. I've used it for deer and hogs with complete satisfaction.

The 45-70 is a great cartridge. How it's loaded changes it's personality. Standard loads and lighter bullets are comfortable to shoot. Heavy bullets and level 2 and 3 loads can start to hammer you pretty hard. Because of the other two cartridges I use my 45-70s with heavy bullets at level two loadings. Mine are very accurate and obviously do a fine job on deer and hogs. They may be considered more than needed for that job but I've never heard an animal complain about over kill.

So there's my thoughts. All that to say find one in 35 Whelen and drive on.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't have a 444 in a Handi Rifle... but wouldn't hesitate to buy one... I have one in a Marlin that I bought 35 years ago...

its a different animal that a 45/70, but with all the 44 mag bullets on the Market, there is a lot of things that caliber is capable of under 150 yds...

and it can be done with cast bullet load data, which abounds for it...or even 44 Rem Mag load data...

loaded mine for kids, with 180 grain XTPs at 1000 fps, up to 300 grainers at 1800 fps..., and those will more than do a job on any deer that ever walked within 100 to 125 yds... and further if someone knows how to do some Kentucky Windage...

and those NEFs are pretty simple and trouble free...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
maggie,

I just recently purchased the 444 / 35 Rem combo in camo. Sold the 444 barrel because I didn't want to get back into that caliber. My Encore set-up had the 444 barrel and shot extremely well. Never took an animal with it. I have a Remington Model 7 KS 35 Rem and that's why I purchased the NEF. Fit and finish is really nice. Now I need to work-up some loads. I also have a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. I did own a 45/70 which I loaded with black powder and it was very accurate. Again, never took an animal with it. Here is a picture with a T/C Hawkens scope 4 power circle X reticle with enough eye relief that I can mount it in front of the hammer.

[Linked Image]

Ken

M
maggie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback and opinions. I have several Handi Rifles, but none in the larger calibers, a sorry situation which I obviously need to rectify. A friend has a .444 in the Encore, so I was leaning that way so we could both reload, but am now leaning more towards the 35 Whelen. Having said that, I'd surely like a 45-70 in the buffalo gun configuration as well. Perhaps I'll "need" to get one of each? smile Thanks again for all of your input.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started with the H&R 45/70 "buffalo" rifle and after they lowered the bore restriction size for primative weapons season I bought a 35 Whelen.

I really like both of them but if I had to choose the Whelen is my choice.

I really didn't care for the long heavy barrel on the 45/70. I sold my barrel after finding a deal on a short one. I now have a H&R 45/70 Buffalo carbine crazy

The 35Whelen got left in the woods for a week and became a rusted mess (long story.) I did a DIY cerakote job on it and have extremely happy with it. I use it exclusively during primative weapons season.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I can usually get around 1 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100yds. It's not a tackdriver but good enough for what I need.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Maggie,AAboltfan captured it very well in regard to recoil.The hotter you load it the harder it thumps.I do not load hot and recoil is very mild although I get great accuracy.
300 grain hard cast are my main diet but I have loaded and use on occasion a 300 Grain JHPj.It is a great deer,hog and coyote stopper out to 150 yards or so although most of my shots are less than 50 yards.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I have a Contender in 444 Marlin that shoots well with factory ammo. The barrel was a 44 Mag rechambered to 444, 23" long. Next there's a 375JDJ it shoots aswell as I am able, its in a Contender as well. MGM made me a 30/40 Krag that is outstanding, on a Contender. I also have a 35 W on a 7600 Rem. All harvest deer well if I manage to stay awake.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have 45/70, .357, and just got a .270 barrel. I actually only wanted the .357 version. But now I'm trying to decide what new barrel to get for a shorty. I would love to find a 30-30 barrel.

S
S
I have a 45-70 and the 35 Whelen
I fell in love with the 35,it's all I use all season long,no need for anything else

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I have an Encore 444 Katahdin 18 inch ported barrel. It is the go-to in thick Ga bottoms and pop up ground blinds.
It is coupled to a Flex Tech stock with a Limb Saver pad making the recoil very manageable.
It shoots 1 -1.5 MOA @ 100 yards and that is further than I can usually see in the spots I hunt.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (6mmbrfan, 35, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338Rules, 6 invisible), 1,544 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,948
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.