Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Booze is like anything else. If you have the connections, yau can get anything you want. From my trashcan:

[Linked Image]

Those empty Pappy bottles can be sold on ebay! I keep mine for olive oil and such but....

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice. I need some more Pappy. Been a few years now.

And some Elmer T.....

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
ETL can be had in VA for 30 bucks. I stashed a few aside... grin

Who has Black Maple Hill(nas)?

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'd like some Pappy on hand as well..And some Stranahans Colorado..Pretty rare

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by byc
Booze is like anything else. If you have the connections, yau can get anything you want. From my trashcan:

[Linked Image]

Those empty Pappy bottles can be sold on ebay! I keep mine for olive oil and such but....

My wife chews my azz out for tossing them because she uses them for making "vanilla infusion" with Grey Goose or Tito's and vanilla beans...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had to stop drinking Wild Turkey the spring of '83. I felt like I owed it to the good people of Raleigh.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Supposedly whiskey doesn't 'age' in the bottle as does wine. It's more accurate to state that whiskey doesn't change as quickly or as much, but it does change. American bourbon whiskeys can change significantly due to the tannins leached from fresh oak barrels.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good stuff. Especially when it is brought up from Tennessee.

[Linked Image]

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
giddy'up

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'm in the biz and "Yes", this truly is the "Golden Age" for American bourbons. By and large, forget about Pappy, Orphan Barrel, and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection stuff these days. Can't find it and, if you do, you'll pay through the nose. Incredibly over-priced, at least for the time being. This phenomenon is even spilling over into "every day" bourbons - Weller Antique 107, Weller 12 Year, Basil Hayden's, etc. Hell, this past Fall, I grabbed a bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon for about $44 and could have easily flipped it for $250 - $300 on the gray market. Chose to hold on to it and am enjoying it slowly, as I think I'm appreciating it for the right reasons.

Bottom line - it is pure insanity right now when it comes to "collectible" bourbons. This will pass but it may take a while. As noted earlier, the Asian market isn't helping things. They caused a stir about 8 - 10 years ago with Bordeaux/Burgundy but that bubble eventually burst, so things should return to normal. Here's hoping, at least.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JOG
Supposedly whiskey doesn't 'age' in the bottle as does wine. It's more accurate to state that whiskey doesn't change as quickly or as much, but it does change. American bourbon whiskeys can change significantly due to the tannins leached from fresh oak barrels.

Yeah, whiskey doesn't age in the bottle, but it can change if the seal is bad and oxygen gets in. I looked at this as a time capsule. A glimpse at what a standard quality whiskey at the time was like. I can tell you that there was certainly older whiskey than 8 years (you have to put the youngest whiskey in the batch/barrel dump on the label) in this bottle. The 10 and 12 year old whiskeys I've had in the past few years didn't have anywhere near the color or complexity of flavors that this old WT 101 has. It's to be expected I guess, the more popular it becomes, the more it is rushed out the door. Have you noticed more and more whiskeys are losing their age statements? While there are still some pretty decent and enjoyable bourbons out there, it appears the golden age of bourbon was back when demand was down and the quality was way up. I'm happy the industry is doing well, and when the demand goes down, like it did with vodka, and with rickhouses full of whiskey, there could once again be older whiskey available at reasonable prices. Hope I live long enough to see it. Til then, the golden age of whiskey is long behind us.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/25/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pinotguy
I'm in the biz and "Yes", this truly is the "Golden Age" for American bourbons. By and large, forget about Pappy, Orphan Barrel, and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection stuff these days. Can't find it and, if you do, you'll pay through the nose. Incredibly over-priced, at least for the time being. This phenomenon is even spilling over into "every day" bourbons - Weller Antique 107, Weller 12 Year, Basil Hayden's, etc. Hell, this past Fall, I grabbed a bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon for about $44 and could have easily flipped it for $250 - $300 on the gray market. Chose to hold on to it and am enjoying it slowly, as I think I'm appreciating it for the right reasons.

Bottom line - it is pure insanity right now when it comes to "collectible" bourbons. This will pass but it may take a while. As noted earlier, the Asian market isn't helping things. They caused a stir about 8 - 10 years ago with Bordeaux/Burgundy but that bubble eventually burst, so things should return to normal. Here's hoping, at least.

Interesting. My family is big time "in the biz" and have no problem at all getting me any of the Pappy's, Blanton's, Col E.H. Taylor, Eagle Rare, Booker's, and all the misc "small batches" etc, etc at a pretty good discount.... maybe a regional thing?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
one thing for sure it's a $$ thing...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
God bless America and Capitalism!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by pinotguy

Interesting. My family is big time "in the biz" and have no problem at all getting me any of the Pappy's, Blanton's, Col E.H. Taylor, Eagle Rare, Booker's, and all the misc "small batches" etc, etc at a pretty good discount.... maybe a regional thing?

More than likely. It's interesting from where I sit as well because, what we've discovered is that proximity doesn't necessarily mean access is any better. When it comes to the actual distribution of these "boutique" bourbons, there's a lot of "back scratching" that goes on. Same as what happens with Opus One, Dominus, Quintessa, and even some beers now - Pliny The Elder, from Russian River Brewing, comes to mind. I don't doubt for a minute that politics and preferential treatment are in play.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Charlie Sisk had a bottle of this at SHOT and it made a serious impression on me!
http://www.knobcreek.com/knob-creek-single-barrel-reserve

At 120 proof it was pretty lethal, and sipping it was an incredible experience. I have never tasted any whisky/whiskey that smooth and complex, regardless the proof.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Interesting. I found it to be "hot" even when reduced with spring water, and I'm accustomed to stuff even higher than 120 proof. Maybe the barrel mine was drawn from was a hot one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As a single malt slut with a preference for Islays and such I found it anything but hot with just a tiny touch of water.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I found my bottle hotter than a couple of bottles of George T. Stagg at 140+ proof.

I'm no stranger to Islay whisky. A favorite of mine is my cask strength, unfiltered Laphroaig. I don't cut that one either. Nor do I cut my Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Port Ellen, Caol Ila, Bruichladdich, or Bowmore.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, Aero, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 14 invisible), 1,350 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,676
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.