-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would it be a pretty good assumption that the margins are higher for ammo than components?

Lotsa Walmarts in this world.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
try finding .375winchester brass.
or bullets, for that matter.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 01/26/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't believe the "everybody's hoarding"and the company's are cranking out 24/7 bullchit.Never in my 45yrs of loading was I not able to buy 6mm Rem,257Rob and especially 30-30 or 35Rem brass or ammo among others.You can find ammo in a few small shop's here and there,but when almost all the big distributer's are empty on brass & ammo something's going on.There ain't that many friggin hoarders.Kinda strange nobody's hoarding Nosler brass for $75 for 50.

Last edited by sqweeler; 01/26/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Phhhft-

So a fella has to look around a bit. Big Whoop. You need any .32 Winchester Self Loading brass? No problem. .30-30...no problem. It's out there.

Question I have for those inclined to stockpile, how big is your bug out truck? Really? I read of people with 20-30K rounds of rimfire...who is going to haul it around?

Correction in the market supply and prices? Oh hell yeah. Just a matter of time.

Saw some ads the other day for $3 a pop bullets and some brass up around $2 if memory serves. Luck with that...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You find it "kinda strange" that brass that costs less is less available than brass that costs more?

There's plenty of Eley and other .22 rimfire match ammo for sale at normal prices, along with Nosler, Norma and Lapua brass, plus other stuff the average shooter doesn't want to pay for. There are also plenty of primers and .223 ammo at decent prices, and if the shortages were due to a conspiracy by either manufacturers or the government neither would be available.

No, not everybody's hoarding, but a lot of people are buying more than they used to, when they can find it. But because YOU can't easily find the brass and ammo YOU want, there's gotta be a conspiracy.

As I noted earlier in this thread, I've purchased a bunch of .22 ammo for $30 or less per brick, plus brass some people claim isn't available, off major sites on the Internet in the past six months. I do it by checking sites frequently, not once a week or once a month, and buying BEFORE they run out, which usually happens quickly because, yes, many shooters ARE buying more than they normally do.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's called a diverse portfolio. Lottery tickets, Dale Earnhardt collectibles, and 22LR.

Very attractive Redneck 401k, no offense to Lee.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Phhhft-

So a fella has to look around a bit. Big Whoop. You need any .32 Winchester Self Loading brass? No problem. .30-30...no problem. It's out there.

Question I have for those inclined to stockpile, how big is your bug out truck? Really? I read of people with 20-30K rounds of rimfire...who is going to haul it around?

Correction in the market supply and prices? Oh hell yeah. Just a matter of time.

Saw some ads the other day for $3 a pop bullets and some brass up around $2 if memory serves. Luck with that...

they can trade 22 rimfire for food and water when the SHTF. How long before someone post they will trade 22 ammo for sex

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love the SHTF stuff. If a fella is hungry, the guy with the food gets a gun in his face. The handholding pioneer idea that every will run to the woods and "survive" is laughable.

Drugs and booze will be a hotter commodity.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
try finding .375winchester brass.
or bullets, for that matter.

They aren't even making oddball stuff like that. Remington hasn't made/loaded RUM/SAUM brass for some time, even though its in demand, other stuff is in MORE demand.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by sqweeler
I don't believe the "everybody's hoarding"and the company's are cranking out 24/7 bullchit.Never in my 45yrs of loading was I not able to buy 6mm Rem,257Rob and especially 30-30 or 35Rem brass or ammo among others.You can find ammo in a few small shop's here and there,but when almost all the big distributer's are empty on brass & ammo something's going on.There ain't that many friggin hoarders.Kinda strange nobody's hoarding Nosler brass for $75 for 50.

Frankly I think you're putting more effort into complaining than you are into finding ammo. On Saturday I went into 4 different stores that sell ammo. In 3 of them I found .30-30 ammo, in 3 of them I found .257 Roberts ammo. One was Sportsman's Warehouse, a national chain. One was BiMart, a NW regional chain. The other two were local "mom 'n' pop" stores. At Sportsman's Warehouse there were at least 5 different choices of .30-30 loads on the shelf and there were multiple -> many boxes of each.

Yep, brass for some things is hard to find. You may have to buy factory ammo and shoot it or pull the bullets. I don't like that either. Beats whining though.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
All I'm saying is I never had to hunt the country for 30-30 or 35 Rem.When it come's to 250,300Sav,6mm Rem etc the bullchit"Oh it's seasonal"is heard.I guess they missed the season.375Win..... forget it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Driving home from the gun show the old fellow pulled his pick-up into the first gas station he came to for gas. He took notice of the young, hot blond in short shorts and a halter top filling up her BMW at the next pump.

He also noticed she was eye-balling a case of .223 ammo in the bed of the truck that he had gotten a good deal on at the gun show.

She throws him a sexy smile and says, "Would you consider trading some ammo for sex?"

He takes another good look at her long beautiful legs, and her ample cleavage, and answers back,

"Have you got any 22 rimfire?"

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 16bore

Drugs and booze will be a hotter commodity.

You should go to SERE or read Maslow's Hiearchy of Needs.

Getting laid or drunk is pretty low on the scale, for quite a while anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I suspect part of the upsurge in shooting "sports" is partly due to people who've gotten concealed carry permits, who never even considered it before, but there's also been a general rise in shooting and hunting due to good promotion by the National Shooting Sports Foundation and other organizations.

So is it new shooters creating demand? If so, are those new shooters at some point going to stop shooting and at that time we will see the ammunition supply return to normal?

Or is it hoarders? Actually most are not hoarders but flippers.. They frequent the classifieds here.

I guess if a druggie needs dope and his doc won't prescribe it, he finds it on the street...at street prices. Same principal applies.

If it is in fact new shooters, why aren't manufactures increasing supply to meet the increased demand created by new shooters?

I've not seen a single round of 22LR in any larger sporting goods store here, not at $35 a brick, $50 a brick, or $75 a brick... I'm still waiting for the link, expired or not, to the $35 a brick 22LR that you have mentioned on several occasions smile

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GeoW

If it is in fact new shooters, why aren't manufactures increasing supply to meet the increased demand created by new shooters?

I've not seen a single round of 22LR in any larger sporting goods store here, not at $35 a brick, $50 a brick, or $75 a brick... I'm still waiting for the link, expired or not, to the $35 a brick 22LR that you have mentioned on several occasions smile

Academy here has Aquila in quantiy at customer service. I bought CCI there for six-cents/rd last month. I bought a 100rd box of Green Tag as well. It was spendy, don't recall exactly what it cost.

MD explained to you why the makers aren't increasing production more than they have. Remington did just set up a new facility for 22lr in Arkansas, I'm told. Good stuff they are producing too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not 35 bucks but it's available. The local Big R had Remington 22lr on the shelf not that long ago but at $6.00 for 50, I had no need for it.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/cci-22lr-standard-velocity-500rd-box-50035.html

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr.

I have ordered some rimfire ammo that I found through this website.

Unfortunately, this type of website also helps the hoarders and re-sellers, as Mule Deer mentioned in his post. Some of the prices displayed are fairly reasonable while some are not.

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 01/26/15.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Glocktard

MD explained to you why the makers aren't increasing production more than they have. Remington did just set up a new facility for 22lr in Arkansas, I'm told. Good stuff they are producing too.

No, if I read his numerous post correctly, MD said that because the hoarding would cease, the ammo makers did not want to increase production because the spike in the demand was temporary, caused by politics, hoarders, preppers, panic buying...

As for the $6 a box ammo, that's $60 a brick, more than our beloved CampFire Classified scalpers.. until they add shipping wink

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
GeoW,
That's the very biggest reason I left it right there on the shelf. I was in that same store last week and there was no 22lr readily visible. They did have bricks of 22short, but I didn't notice the price.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Brass shortage....... I thought brass was extinct . shortage would imply there was some available!!!!
There is plenty of .338 lapua and .50 bmg in casper, other calibers NONE!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,904
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.