Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
So I was all set to buy a Stainless 4" Ruger GP100 .357 Mag and send it off to Dave Clements to convert to 10mm and a few other custom touches and then Glock brings out the Model 40. I know it is apples and oranges but the discretionary funds only allow for one. The Glock and optic will end up around $1000 - $1200 and the work on the Ruger will be $765 plus $500-$600 for the gun. Any suggestions?

Last edited by pacecars; 01/26/15. Reason: dang autocorrect

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If your thinking 10mm in a revolver take it to the next level and go to 41 magnum. With some hunting you could find astainless redhawk factory chambered in 41 have it chopped to whatever length you want and still be spending way less then a custom 10mm. With what your going to lose between barrel length and cylinder gap your going to probable be down near 40 s+w instead of true 10mm ballistics. Only real advantage with the revolver is no possible feeding issues.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And with a revo - no chasing the expensive, hard-to-find brass in the woods smile

Ruger made a few Blackhawks in .38-40/10mm, and they should be less expensive yet.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=465259402

S&W 610's are fine weapons and very desirable among collectors; I have a 5" and it shoots well.

You can find good Kimbers/Colt Deltas for a grand or so.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
If your thinking 10mm in a revolver take it to the next level and go to 41 magnum. With some hunting you could find astainless redhawk factory chambered in 41 have it chopped to whatever length you want and still be spending way less then a custom 10mm. With what your going to lose between barrel length and cylinder gap your going to probable be down near 40 s+w instead of true 10mm ballistics. Only real advantage with the revolver is no possible feeding issues.

Exactly. I don't see the appeal of a 10mm in a revolver when the 41 mag is available.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by mike7mm08

Exactly why a 10mm over a 41 mag in a revolver. The 10's appeal is in a semi auto IMHO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I have had several S&W Model 57s and Ruger Blackhawks in .41 Mag and while I love the .41 I like the 10 more. I have had several model 610s but always thought they should have been on the "L" frame. I have always wanted to have a custom gun built so I may just do it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
an L frame or GP 6 shot using moon clips would be a very slick gun in my view , and you could also shoot the cheap .40 ammo

the fourties loaded in moon clips would fit in fairly compact belt pouches

a four inch M57 runs about 48 ounces.....a 10mm sixgun could come in at around a half lb. lighter.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do you want to do with it?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by pacecars
So I was all set to buy a Stainless 4" Ruger GP100 .357 Mag and send it off to Dave Clements to convert to 10mm and a few other custom touches and then Glock brings out the Model 40. I know it is apples and oranges but the discretionary funds only allow for one. The Glock and optic will end up around $1000 - $1200 and the work on the Ruger will be $765 plus $500-$600 for the gun. Any suggestions?

The best advice I can give you, is to make sure you like moonclips before moving forward on the revolver.

I would also advise you try an optic on a pistol before taking the plunge.

If you decide you like moonclips, I'd go that route. Easier to keep track of brass and .40 brass is abundant even during tough times.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have a friend who has a Leup red dot on a S&W 625, and a Trijicon red dot on a FN 45 auto. I've played with both and find myself searching for the dot in the light. It takes me alot longer to line up/find the dot than regular irons. It could be I don't have enough rounds down range for it to work for me.

10mm Glock is never a bad choice, as long as your not firing thermo nuclear rounds. Gunbroker has a dealer in Ohio that's taking Lone Wolf slides and putting them on Glock frames. You get a choice in barrel length, and a ported barrel or compensator should you want one. About 800.00ish if I recall correctly.

Or you can get one of five Sig 220's that should be out by May. All of the semi auto's on the market have more rounds on tap than a revolver.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I tend to like the 10mm as an auto pistol round myself. On the other hand, I can easily see why you'd like a lighter 10mm revolver.
Since you've had both the 10mm and the .41 Mag in revolvers, I need not point out the differences to you.
In auto pistols, no way would I ever consider a Glock, especially for hunting. Their "stapler" trigger break would be enough. Their inability to handle high pressure loads is another. It's easy to overload a 10mm with handloads.
I see no reason why you shouldn't do the custom revolver. But, if you go with an auto pistol, I'd recommend a stronger gun with a much better trigger break. E

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Just get a 45 Colt and be done with it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I did have a Model 25 that I had cut for moon clips so it would shoot .45 ACP, .460 Rowland and .45 Colt. I should have kept that one. I guess I am kinda fickle but I do realize that if I go the custom route you never get out of it what you put in it if you sell it so I better make sure that is what I want.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I say "be sure" because some people grow to hate moonclips.

But I can say if you didn't like it, I'd buy it.

I think a Flattop Ruger with two cylinders would be cool as fugg. One of these days I'm going to stop being a pussy and get it done.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

In auto pistols, no way would I ever consider a Glock, especially for hunting. Their "stapler" trigger break would be enough. Their inability to handle high pressure loads is another. It's easy to overload a 10mm with handloads.

Everyone has an opinion, but not everyone's opinion is based on facts. Yours seems to fit that description. What "stronger" 10mm auto are you referring to?

Personally I wouldn't bother with a revolver for a 10mm, but if a guy just "wants" one, that should be all the reason you need.

Last edited by Yondering; 01/27/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glock will take loads a Delta cannot, according to Underwoods ammo. Not much of a difference between Glock loads and Delta loads, but the difference swings in Glocks favor, not the other way around.

10mm in a revolver would be fine if you like or want moon clips and if you perhaps want to load only one caliber for auto and revolver. Barring moon clip preferences, I would probably go another way with my caliber choice, but there is nothing wrong with a 10mm revolver.

Last edited by K1500; 01/27/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 1006 is a nice option to consider as well. If you're comfortable with the weight of the GP100, the 1006 ought to have some thought.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like the 10mm in both revolver and auto. One nice thing about the moon clipped 10mm's it the ability to shoot 40S&W ammo. On the same note, you can pick up a KKM 10 to 40 conversion barrel and shoot 40 out of the G20. Not sure if they will do a conversion barrel for the G40.

I think I'd look for a S&W 610 rather than convert a GP100. It would probably be about the same cost (via Gunbroker) and no wait for the work. You'd also likely be able to sell the 610 in the future for no loss...which is doubtful with the custom GP100.

...now if you want to convert a 4.2" SP101 to a 5 shot/moon clipped 10mm I'm all for it! ...and I'm willing to purchase it from you for ~1/2 price a year from now!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 4ager

well geez , shoot hell out of it I suppose

what do you do with any handgun ?

180 gr XTP will shoot right thru a whitetail , side to side

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
Originally Posted by 4ager

well geez , shoot hell out of it I suppose

what do you do with any handgun ?

180 gr XTP will shoot right thru a whitetail , side to side

Hell, I don't know...maybe because hiking with one vs tree stand hunting means different things are important? Maybe because home defense is a lot different than CCW or target shooting? Silly things like form following function and use dictating preference?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 19 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.