OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That should really up the entertainment value while being on the river. It will be interesting to see the crowds reaction when they slide that net out into the river, and you know there will be a crowd watching. It will be even better when they start tossing rainbows and dollies into the boat. I can't wait!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Unbelievable!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great!!! Once again giving a Native "agency" the "right" to do that which they explicitly gave up in return for all of the good Federal land they could claim and use to block access for everyone else to land which they do not own...

Tony POS Knowles really put it to us on this one and it may take a long, long time before another good test case makes it to the SCOTUS and gets us out of this mess.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep. Uncle Tony wrote himself one hell of a legacy in the history books; he sold out his entire state for the '98 Native vote... to win an election!!

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Like I said on AOD, give em a choice. Food stamps or Federal Subsistance. Shouldn't be able to double dip and live the "subsistance" lifestyle by getting special privelages and then go down to the AC and swipe your EBT card, which is a higher rate in rural areas.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
They should have something similar set up for the negros in this country also. They should have subsistence fishing and hunting; but only in the best areas.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
Like I said on AOD, give em a choice. Food stamps or Federal Subsistance. Shouldn't be able to double dip and live the "subsistance" lifestyle by getting special privelages and then go down to the AC and swipe your EBT card, which is a higher rate in rural areas.

Hahaha! I bet that went over like a lead balloon.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The council argued that the current dipnet, rod and reel, and fish wheel allowances are not sufficient for their subsistence needs.

The council argued that the current dipnet, rod and reel, and fish wheel allowances are not sufficient for their subsistence needs.

I'm not sure how a 25 sockeye per household limit is going to be sufficient for subsistence needs anyway, though I would think it might be possible to get that with legal methods presently allowed.

Money talks and the trawls have it, not to mention the fact that salmon are undoubtedly affected by foreign drift nets that we can't do much, if anything, about. Virtually every entity which is party to salmon harvest needs to look at what is being done, and what can be done, to enhance production. Throwing another subsistence net or three probably isn't going to have much affect as they are, but people need to realize that these affects are cumulative. Everybody wants theirs - and rightly so- as long as all parties are not being held accountable in parity.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
25 per household head plus 10 per dependent. Each fish provides at least 6 person-meals, probably 8. Lets call it 6, making 60 dependent meals, or 5 per month. Combined with the 25, plus sport catch, this seems sufficient for the
"average" family, combined with shellfish, other fish, game, and store- bought.

The wife and I eat fish at least once per week , usually twice, not always salmon, so I seldom take our limit of 35 personal use salmon and have t used a rod in years

The bottom line is some people are lazy, do not want to compete on a level field, or consider themselves "more than equal"..

Lets keep in mind that neither gill nets nor fish wheels are traditional in these two rivers, and in fact were introduced across Alaska from outside just over a century ago.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The bottom line is some people are lazy, do not want to compete on a level field, or consider themselves "more than equal"..

I imagine they'll be able to legally sell their subsistence catch to keep things equal also.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It's a cash economy.

SINO
Subsistence In Name Only.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Getting the Feds involved is never the secret to good management of wildlife resources (or education, or income assistance benefits: "SNAP", or ��..).

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This is not about income assistance programs. There is no reason that anyone from this group could not take as many fish as they might need the same way other users must.

I for one understand the "educational fishery" on the Kenai and have always supported it. It is the best way to teach new generations about the old ways. No different than the "educational Moose hunts" I have been involved with for ten years (along side guys like Ironbender and Spartan Gunner.)

Putting nets across the Kenai and Kasilof is not about the old ways but about a new way for getting "mine" regardless of other Alaskans. Not a single family or person will ever go hungry without this.

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
May the best fish win

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
�We only have the one thing to look after, and it�s the interests of the subsistence community,� he said. I�m here to fight for the people. I�m here to look after their needs, and their need is food, not money.�

So you're saying this means just exactly what it looks like it means, huh?

I don't believe I have heard people who actually depend on these resources not refer to preservation for the future when they make these kinds of requests or demands. I thought it ironic that that was left out. The people I know often include the idea of future, not just the past, in their concept of "time immemorial".

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So you're saying this means just exactly what it looks like it means, huh?

Yup!

The people I know often include the idea of future, not just the past, in their concept of "time immemorial".

You are a wise gent, Klik!

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"all are created equal but some are more equal than others"

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Requests for reconsideration are open to the public by mail, fax, and email at the Federal Subsistence Board�s website, http://www.doi.gov/subsistence/proposal/reconsideration/index.cfm. The January meeting concluded the fisheries regulatory cycle for the year. The board will now focus on wildlife. The next board meetings will be held in June of 2015, January and April of 2016. Dates have not yet been set.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
No one I know or have heard of in CooperLanding and Hope use or support "subsistence" special use. It is all Ninilchik , which has a well documented history of nepotism and corruption.

Kinda the Appalatia of the Kenai.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Akhutr, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.