Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
it seems like folks out there are taking issue with WWII, and tghe fact we did all we could to end the war.

while Pres. Roosevelt did not authorize the bomb, it was authorized by his replacement.

and it was important that it did occur.

so, if something had "changed" a bit early on, would the outcome have been any different?

anyone know for sure?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nothing I hate more than 'what ifs'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
if we could have had more, or better information we might have arrived at a different conclusion?

using all the information at our disposal, what should we do next? does that about sum it up?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How you going to abort baby Jesus?

He woulda blown that pu$$y up and carried on. He's Jesus, you dumbazz.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
It is what it is. Why be concerned with history and events you cannot change.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If Gus's Mom were a carpet muncher, would the urth's collective IQ be greater?

anyone know for sure?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What I do know, your penchant for moon-bat-kook posts is unequaled.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
we might need to look at the past, to see where we are now?

we can take that information and project the information available to us into the future, to form a trajectory?

history must have value, or why would we bother to invest resources in maintaining and preserving it.

in other words, if the past had been different, would the present be differnt or the same?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you every contributed anything Worthwhile to this forum.?

Been here since 09,..still waiting.....

Everybody's getting tired of your same ol' Pothead questions.!

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Nothing I hate more than 'what ifs'

===========

Exactly what I said to Jen.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gus's post sound far out but if you can read between the lines and grasp the meaning of what he's saying their not that crazy. maybe its not to late for man kind to learn from history but i doubt it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus
it seems like folks out there are taking issue with WWII, and tghe fact we did all we could to end the war.

while Pres. Roosevelt did not authorize the bomb, it was authorized by his replacement.

so, if something had "changed" a bit early on, would the outcome have been any different?

anyone know for sure?

Mom and dad leave the medicine cabinet open???

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Gus

anyone know for sure?

Mom and dad leave the medicine cabinet open???

an age old solution was to kill the hell out of the messenger. then, later came the hordes who overran the dug-in positions.

the messenger was kilt, as was the opposing king, his family, and his related bureaucrats.

if the Muslims are a variation, clone, or off-shoot of the Judastic Tradition, how do we Christians fit into a niche?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is threads like this leading the Campfire into the toilet...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by shrapnel

It is threads like this leading the Campfire into the toilet...

the roman empire failed for some reason?

i have expected the xtians to come roaring out of the woodwork, and offer endless defenses.

so far, nada.

but, the day is not over yet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
20/20 hindsight is always more accurate than decisions made under pressure, when the situation is fluid, and with less than perfect information.

If the leaders of the UK had the courage/will to step in when Hitler started down the road that led to WW2, WW2 might not have happened. If PM Stanley Baldwin had stepped in when Germany violated the terms of the Treaty at Versailles by remilitarizing the Rhineland in 1936, it is possible that Hitler would have been inhibited from the annexation of Austria and the occupation of Czechoslovakia, both in 1938. Of course, Baldwin had to deal with the crisis of Edward VIII abdicating and George VI assuming The Throne, so he has to get a little latitude/consideration for being preoccupied.

OTOH, Chamberlain clearly appeased Hilter and Hitler, being a "given an inch, take a mile" sort of person recognized that Chamberlain would do anything to avoid war. In contrast, Hilter saw war as a reasonable means by which to further his goals. The rest, as they say, is history.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is one of the more historically diseased threads I've seen in here.

1) The Manhattan Project was balls-to-the-wall from the start. I've known a couple that worked on it. Guys took years off their life working on that gig. Any dithering at the top did not effect day-to-day operation
2) There was no slow down after VE. The few disgruntled team members who pushed to kill the project after it was clear the Germans had lost had a gun put to their head: shut up and keep working, or we'll put you away where you can't harm the project.
3) Trinity was touched off on 16 July, and VJ-day was less than a month later. In the interim, folks involved had barely time for a shower let alone waiting for the go-ahead.
4) The Invasion of Japan was on schedule for November '45. If the bombs were a dud, we needed as much time as possible to get the logistics for that invasion in order. My Dad was slated for that shindig, and was on his way to Okinawa, one of the staging areas, when the bombs dropped. It took 2 years to get ready for the Normandy landings and the Mainland Invasion was going to be much bigger. You could not delay those bombs for a day.
5) The only delay, if you could call it that, was holding off on Hiroshima, Nygoya, Nagasaki, and the other potential A-Bomb target cities. They wanted clean targets so they could assess the damage.

This is just a theory, but I think it's a good one: Whoever was at the top (FDR or HST) knew we were going to have one mother of a bomb coming on line, and it was an important strategic tool against Uncle Joe. However, it needed to be used and it needed to be used on a live target so there would be no question as to its effect.

One thing I do know-- no theory-- is that the best thing that happened to the Japanese was those two bombs, because they kept Curtis LeMay from doing what he did best. LeMay's operation was extremely efficient and committed. He was doing with conventional munitions every day and night what folks were trying to do with nukes. The Bomb saved Japan from Lemay.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gus
the roman empire failed for some reason?

Yeah, thanks to emperor Guseus Retardus Maximus..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If Obammy's mammy twer't a Ho, would liberals still come back fo mo?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 16gage, 52 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,404
Posts18,470,164
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.