Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Gents:
I'm not sure of the regulations for posting here and I will be vague to avoid a "flame war" but, after reading this, you can email me for details.

I booked a caribou hunt for last August from a service I've been with three years prior. Long story short, I signed a contract that if my party shot too many animals we would be charged $1500 for an "extra meat haul." In the end we were charged this fee but no extra flight was needed!

Three email from me to clear up the matter were ignored by the owner. Three requests by the BBB to mediate the matter were also ignored by the owner. Two letters from the Attorney General's office have been ignored.

I have a good lawyer (you Alaskans will all recognize his name) and he is assisting me me in fillsing out small claims paperwork which we will file upon receipt of the final letter from the AG's office.

This flight service also charges different rates for different clients. We were charged high as my two friends on the trip were an MD and a CEO of a big corporation. Others were charged far less, some as much as 50% less. Some have the "extra meat haul" and are not charged. All this is documented.

I have posted this on my website and will share with any of you who contact me.
Cheers, and be careful. This is a bad outfit.
Cal[spoiler][/spoiler]

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You need to name names.

This has no value otherwise.

...and sorry for your troubles.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.calpappas.com/search/label/Updates

His blog names 70 North FWIW. Will be interesting to see how it plays out in court I guess.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This site isn't run by an Alaskan outfitter... it's OK to name names...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
70� North, can't say I'm too surprised.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
OK Gents. The Alaska Outdoors won't allow any negative posts. If it's OK here, all the better. The flight service is 70 North Air Taxi. Bob Gill and Mike McCrary are the owners who have snubbed me, the BBB, and the AG. Shortly I will file with the small claims courts and it will be interesting to see if Bob and Mike snub the courts. As soon as the final letter comes from the AG I will file. A great attorney has found past case law that will be of great help in my situation. It is so simple. The contract calls for a charge if an extra flight is taken. But, no flight AND a charge.

For some, Bob and Mike charge $2000 for the drop off and pickup. Others are charged $1750 and still others are charged $750 per hour--which equates to about 1/2 of the flat fee.

I will keep you all posted. Thanks for your interest.
Cal

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cal_Pappas
OK Gents. The Alaska Outdoors won't allow any negative posts.

They can't handle the truth.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd think it can't happen to charge IF you have extra flights, but since you didn't, they can't charge.

As to charging some one rate and others another, I doubt that stands up at all.

Good luck!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This flight service also charges different rates for different clients. We were charged high as my two friends on the trip were an MD and a CEO of a big corporation.

Sounds fishy to me. Flight time is charged by the hour.

In the end we were charged this fee but no extra flight was needed!

After 4 years as a return client, did you happen to mention to them as to where you wanted to be transported to, or did they pick the spot?

my party

So the 1500.00 cost is split between your "party"?

Were you able to harvest caribou this last year?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
This flight service also charges different rates for different clients. We were charged high as my two friends on the trip were an MD and a CEO of a big corporation.

Sounds fishy to me. Flight time is charged by the hour.

In the end we were charged this fee but no extra flight was needed!

After 4 years as a return client, did you happen to mention to them as to where you wanted to be transported to, or did they pick the spot?

my party

So the 1500.00 cost is split between your "party"?

Were you able to harvest caribou this last year?

That depends, most air services I've ever flown with charge a flat rate depending on location and number of passengers.

Steelhead

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
most air services I've ever flown with charge a flat rate depending on location and number of passengers.

Exactly. What changed?

We were charged high as my two friends on the trip were an MD and a CEO of a big corporation.

This means something, though I'm not sure what.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
You need to name names.

This has no value otherwise.

...and sorry for your troubles.

Chicken. You're just jealous cause you don't appreciate the fun of calling up random air service operators and giving them an earful. laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
most air services I've ever flown with charge a flat rate depending on location and number of passengers.

Exactly. What changed?

We were charged high as my two friends on the trip were an MD and a CEO of a big corporation.

This means something, though I'm not sure what.

Nothing, it's been that way ever since I started doing fly in hunts, which has been probably 20 years or so.

Steelhead

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks for your input, gentlemen. To answer your questions.
70 North charges a flat rate, not by the hour--for some of us.
The flat rate varies between customers.
The hourly rate was charged to six the week prior to my hunt--price was about 1/2 of what we paid.
We did get our caribou but did not exceed the weight limits for the return to base. However, we were charged for an extra flight as called out in the contract as an "extra meat haul."
The flight service set us down in a vacant area, away from other hunters. They picked the spot. In the area we wanted to go, in the Brooks Range, was void of caribou.
You gents can see the details of the situation on the Updates page of calpappas.com. Also some of my caribou taken with double rifles are on the double rifles and hunting trophies page.
By traveling with two gents who are upper income, it is only a guess we were charged a higher rate than others. Only speculation as to why, but a fact as to the prices charged.
I paid the fee and later split it with one other member of my party. If I get the refund in the court case, I will (of course) send 50% of it to my mate. As the contract was in my name, the complaint and other communication is in my name.
Again, thanks for your comments.
Cal

S
S
I have made dozens and dozens of fly in hunts in Alaska with many different flying services. (over a dozen in the Brooks Range and on the North Slope alone). I have never flown with any flying service that is more honest and was treated more fair than Seventy Degrees North. I have flown with close to a hundred small plane pilots and it is my observation that Mike and Bob are excellent pilots with safety as their major concern. Their care for their clients before and after the schedule trips is above and beyond what is expected.
I don't understand when a person agrees to the terms of the cost of the transportation for a hunting trip and the service was provided as stated in the agreement, then complain afterwards.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I think it was clear, they get charged extra for extra trips. Those extras never happened or were needed. But still they were charged.

If thats the case, thats a BIG problem.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Interesting that Samson as a new member just happens to pick this subject to do his first post . . . his motive for being here?

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Samson:
Read my post. I was charged for an extra meat haul but the extra flight was not needed or flown. I was charged the $1500 but no flight. That is a problem. I tried to contact Mike and he ignored all three of my attempts. He and Bob ignored three contacts from the BBB. They also snubbed the Attorney General. So, what is it you don't understand? If I can be more clear, please let me know. To simplify, if you were charged for two flights but only took one, would you have a problem?

Last edited by Cal_Pappas; 01/30/15.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm far from rich I emailed 70 north last yr they told me $2,000 a person wtf and extra for a meat haul. Needless to say I will go a different route... At one time when 70 north was getting back into the game 09-10 they were charging $1500 a flight. mike strahan was really pushing people towards 70 north as well. Far as Samson probably one of the owners from 70north.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by samson
I have made dozens and dozens of fly in hunts in Alaska with many different flying services. (over a dozen in the Brooks Range and on the North Slope alone). I have never flown with any flying service that is more honest and was treated more fair than Seventy Degrees North. I have flown with close to a hundred small plane pilots and it is my observation that Mike and Bob are excellent pilots with safety as their major concern. Their care for their clients before and after the schedule trips is above and beyond what is expected.
I don't understand when a person agrees to the terms of the cost of the transportation for a hunting trip and the service was provided as stated in the agreement, then complain afterwards.

Well this isn't AOD so better put on your big boy britches over here... [bleep] they were charged for a meat haul that never happened that's what op is complaining about. 70 north got greedy and are going to pay for it hell already a bunch of sheep hunters that are cussing them..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1eyedmule, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,332 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,378
Posts18,469,479
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.