Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Shodd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
What measures are you taking?

A practical shared ideas thread to better prepare those who feel its necessary.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
generally ive got enough stuff around to get through a major winter storm or 3.....no point in me preparing for more cause the shelf life of a very vital med i need is quite short....chit hits the fan, society dies and im long dead before things get real bad anyways.....not worth loosing sleep over.....massive snows that strand us on our own for awhile however are quite possible and for those in outlying areas around me, some not that far from town it has happened to quite recently....we only have climatic records for here for lil more than a century....had a record shattering total winter snow accumulation just a few years ago.....no clue if thats a once a century thing once every 500 years or if this was an odd dry century and we havent seen what really happens here....

i care bout blizzrds and similar and not much else....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A large amount of ammo in .223, 9mm, 243 and 12 gauge.

A months supply worth of food.

Camping gear and boxes to pack up most of my stuff on my vehicle.

Need more food, a water filtration system and a bug out place.

Check out this website: Survivalist Boards

Last edited by ConradCA; 01/29/15.

[Linked Image from ]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Plenty of ammo, stores laid up for at least a year, add to them every time I go shopping. Read the series by A American (author) 5 books now, to get an idea what it would come to. Makes you think about how inadequately prepared you really are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

SHTF protocol says never to divulge what you have at your locale.

Only kidding....sort of....

- Rogue
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Shodd

Shod

Proper preparedness would require knowledge of:

1) what type of schit is hitting;
2) what type of fan is involved;
3) the velocity of the schit pre- and post-blade engagement;
4) the spray pattern of the schit after hitting said fan;
5) the time of the initial impact;
6) the volume of schit involved;
7) whether the stream of schit is constant or attenuated;
8) whether the fan maintains a constant velocity or not;
9) the location of the fan;
10) the direction of the flow of schit pre- and post-fan engagement.

I doubt you know these, nor that any one does. Therefore, proper preparedness is impossible.

Now, if you want to go off on tangents about "defending the homestead", just look up safariman's rant on that recently. If you want to fantasize about "heading to the hills", there are plenty of sites for that stupidity.

I doubt seriously as to whether your inquiry will be taken seriously here, or whether any that have a clue will clue you in on what they're doing (or not).

It can best be summed up as "even if you knew what to do, you still wouldn't know what to do".

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have everything I need so I don't have to leave the house for 2 months. That should get me through most natural disasters.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I have everything I need so I don't have to leave the house for 2 months. That should get me through most natural disasters.

But, what about the UN? Oh, and zombies? Maybe even UN zombies? How will you deal with them?

Oh, and the Apocalypse? Rapture? A comet impacting the Earth? The death of all the bees?

What about a new Ice Age? Or, what if it stops raining instead?

Are you prepared, man? Are you?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got a Glock and a generator.

But seriously there are a few things I need to to get, water purification should be towards the top of the list for me.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have an imagination.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I have the skills to get by the same way my ancestors did and enough food to get through until I raise more if needed.

My dad, who's 83, didn't live in a house with electricity until he was in the eighth grade when they moved to town. He taught me alot about raising food and the practicalities of butchering meat without the niceties of freezers and such. My grandmother was a wealth of knowledge also.

Chit you can't read in a book.

Kent

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Shodd

Shod

op sec. Why would I share with the OP? smile

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got decent rain-gear in the closet, and the wife carrys a blankie in the back of the Honda.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
.no clue if thats a once a century thing once every 500 years or if this was an odd dry century and we havent seen what really happens here....

Those are just talking points. A few years ago we had what was termed a 500 year flood and the next year was about 12 inches below normal and then another 500 year flood. Weather does as it wants too. I think it was Will Rogers that said, "everybody talks about the weather but no one does anything about it." miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yupinz given I own a place in north Idaho where upon I can kill and eats bear, moose, deer and elk whilst spinning milk to mske huckleberry ice cream.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
if the scenario is I get to stay in place and tough it out, I'm good

If I have to g.o.o.d. , then I'm not so good - but I'm working on that.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the skills to get by the same way my ancestors did and enough food to get through until I raise more if needed.

I have enough food to last quite a while. Lots of it is frozen and I will have to can some before it goes bad, but I have a generator to keep the freezers going for a while and propane cook stove with a large tank. I could even jerk some of the meat. Ammunition for all of my guns and reloading supplies for most. Water should not be much of a problem but would have to boil a lot of it. Plenty of wood for that. I think that I am as well off as most. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
American Express Platinum card....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenneth
I've got decent rain-gear in the closet, and the wife carrys a blankie in the back of the Honda.

you might be more ready than any of us.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not have to head for the hills, I am already there.

Food, water, shelter, guns and ammo. The only difficulty I foresee is getting an Angus beef cow to stand still for milking.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,383 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,081
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.