Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
raamw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The settlement covers more than a dozen models, specifically the Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725
They where sued earlier on certain 700's but it appears the G has forced them to repair the triggers on every last one due to unexplained discharges....this will take years to complete

At least two dozen deaths and more than 100 serious injuries have been linked to inadvertent discharges of Remington 700 series rifles.

In court filings, Remington denied the allegations, calling them "inaccurate, misleading, (and) taken out of context." And last year, a judge dismissed several of the claims, including negligence and fraudulent concealment. But by this July, the parties announced they were working out details of a "nationwide class settlement" involving the controversial gun.

Under the settlement, which still must be approved by a judge, Remington has agreed to retrofit the rifles in question at no cost to the owner. Many users had new trigger mechanisms installed on their own, and Remington will reimburse them as part of the settlement. For guns that cannot be retrofitted, the company plans to offer vouchers for Remington products.

Last edited by raamw; 01/30/15.

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe they'll get a government bail out when they go bankrupt.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I looked up the serial number on my model 7 and they said no replacement but offered me 20 percent off at their website??
Is that normal??

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's for the X mark recall. The Walker recall isn't a 'recall' per se and your S/N won't show up. If you send a Walker gun in they are supposed to send it back with an updated X mark trigger in it. I would just put a Timney in it and be done myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by raamw
The settlement covers more than a dozen models, specifically the Model 700, Seven, Sportsman 78, 673, 710, 715, 770, 600, 660, XP-100, 721, 722 and 725
They where sued earlier on certain 700's but it appears the G has forced them to repair the triggers on every last one due to unexplained discharges....this will take years to complete

At least two dozen deaths and more than 100 serious injuries have been linked to inadvertent discharges of Remington 700 series rifles.

In court filings, Remington denied the allegations, calling them "inaccurate, misleading, (and) taken out of context." And last year, a judge dismissed several of the claims, including negligence and fraudulent concealment. But by this July, the parties announced they were working out details of a "nationwide class settlement" involving the controversial gun.

Under the settlement, which still must be approved by a judge, Remington has agreed to retrofit the rifles in question at no cost to the owner. Many users had new trigger mechanisms installed on their own, and Remington will reimburse them as part of the settlement. For guns that cannot be retrofitted, the company plans to offer vouchers for Remington products.

We tell all of the hunters safety students, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, keep you finger of the trigger.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I sent my 700 SPS in for a trigger replacement early last year after the first recall. I called before sending it back and was told there was "about a 2-week turnaround time from the time they get the gun" It took them 3 weeks just to send me the box that it had to be shipped back in and 6 MONTHS later I got my gun back. As for the 20% off voucher for Remington merchandise, they sent me one of those too and it could only be used for useless Remington branded crap like apparel, not for ammo or reloading components. Remington is basically dead to me as far as future gun purchases.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Well that covers all 4 of my rifles. Wonder if I can get a job just replacing triggers for them?? They did just open a plant here..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the trigger that they are replacing with worth a damn? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Beyond being emphasized in drivers' ed classes, it seems like it would just be good common sense to not let people run into the rear of your car, but those ignorant Pinto drivers just kept on letting it happen.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Safe firearm handling cannot be emphasized enough......

I have just one 700, Thankfully Mine has yet to fire its self upon loading.... Its ALWAYS in the back of my mind though.

My life long friend not so fortunate. His older BDL got all exited one elk season years ago and fired itself after we cut elk tracks while driving down a road. BOOM said the rifle as it was pointed in the air. when my buddy closed the bolt as were readying ourselves to take after the smoking hot tracks....He was more pissed he potentially screwed up a close quick elk, he just about left in the ditch after that, No elk was killed.

He had a M-77 the next elk season. He still has the old 270 win BDL, just seems to reside in the cabinet any more....

I think I would rather do the trigger myself, other than wait for who knows how long to just to get my rifle back.

This is a bad deal for ol' Remington frown

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by raamw

Moral to the story is you can't fix stupid

Last edited by ldholton; 02/01/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sure do love my New Haven Model 70's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just sent mine out on Thursday , will update back when it comes home from the factory for its replacement trigger. If it had been anywhere near hunting season I would have put a timney on it and be done, but no hurry so off it went.

Mm

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 02/01/15.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I just wanna' know where I can pick up all those original trigger assemblies on the cheap........

Especially SS triggers, and ones with the first few years of production safety levers.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by winchester70
Sure do love my New Haven Model 70's

Sure do love my New Haven Model 70's, too. More so all the time...

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
my New Haven M70s do nothing my M700s can't, except weigh more...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Some of you guys say you can't fix stupid or practice safe handleing. Well I had 2 Model 700's, a 25-06, and a 270. I turned around from every thing, pointed the rifle in a safe direction so as to unload, finger was not on trigger, pushed the safety off, rifle fired. After 2nd episode I got rid of my Remingtons. I might not be the smartest guy, but I am not sure how I could be any safer. I have 3 Model 700's now, 2 with Model 70 safeties, and a late Model with X Mark, that I replaced with a Jewell. Sometimes the rifles are at fault, and stupid has nothing to do with it. If it happens to you smart guys, you will feel stupid also.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I think the point was that, stupid is pointing your rifle at something you don't intend to shoot, loaded, unloaded, safety on, safety off or in any condition. You obviously don't fall into this category since you didn't shoot anything. After having been chastised by my grandfather, parents and uncles (even the dog looked at me funny) for having poor muzzle control w/ my single shot .22, the lesson sunk in deeply. Another such incident would have resulted in a trip behind the woodshed. Seems like both our countries have suffered as a result of fewer woodsheds, but at least the lawyers are making a living.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by KennyA
Some of you guys say you can't fix stupid or practice safe handleing. Well I had 2 Model 700's, a 25-06, and a 270. I turned around from every thing, pointed the rifle in a safe direction so as to unload, finger was not on trigger, pushed the safety off, rifle fired. After 2nd episode I got rid of my Remingtons. I might not be the smartest guy, but I am not sure how I could be any safer. I have 3 Model 700's now, 2 with Model 70 safeties, and a late Model with X Mark, that I replaced with a Jewell. Sometimes the rifles are at fault, and stupid has nothing to do with it. If it happens to you smart guys, you will feel stupid also.

Well-said, Kenny!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
cry cry wink

Finally some will grin grin grin

Sheesh!!

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 808outdoors, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 13 invisible), 1,405 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.