"And three ducks left on the pond".

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you ever visit Branson,MO. there's a five and dime downtown that specializes in the more obscure older type of merchandise such as candies and housewares.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by milespatton
They changed to Enco, then discovered that "enco" in Japanese meant "stalled car", so it was rapidly changed to Exxon after research revealed that the word was not in any vocabulary in existence.

I think that ESSO was a step in that change too. Did a little more research and am now more confused than ever. Esso was Standard oil although both signs looked alike except for the letters. Somewhere along the line they both became Exxon, and were maybe part of the same company before that, either Humble or Standard. miles

Yeah, I forgot ESSO. And... if you weren't confused enough, seems like Gulf Oil got into the mix as well.

Dont know who owned what, but in the south it was Esso and as you went north, it became Enco. I remember well when they took down the Esso sign and put up the new Exxon sign, at the local station.

Dad traveled all over the US in the '60's working on missle sites and dams. I remember the Esso credit card was accepted at the Enco stations. You could also buy tires, get a motel room, get meals, and get money with the Esso Card.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shakey's pizza and Schlitz dark on tap was a winning combination. Both left my town. Is Shakey's still out there?

Last edited by byc; 02/01/15.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How about Sambos burger joint. Not political correct today but they were great when I was a kid.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bush Hog by Stan-Hoist

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by byc
Shakey's pizza and Schlitz dark on tap was a winning combination. Both let my town. Is Shakey's still out there?

When I was young Shakey's were all over the place. I looked at Wiki and there are only 59 left in the entire US, 50 of them in California.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know if its still around or not,but I used to see a lot of Dominion brand ammo when I was starting out deer hunting,in the mid 70's.
I believe it was made in Canada,but I haven't seen it in a long time.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by wink_man
The International Harvester line of passenger vehicles/trucks, the Scout, Pickup, and Travelall 200. Loved those trucks.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just helped a buddy put the hood back on the twin to that Scout II!
How about Newberry's five & dime?
Typewriters as a whole (I used to clean Underwoods, Remingtons, Smith Coronas, Royals, etc)
Garrett Brothers snuff
Brown's Mule
Wasn't Sinclair Oil Co the one with the dinosaur logo?

Last edited by mark shubert; 02/01/15.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Those are still around, Carroll, Iowa has one.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The chili dogs used to be fantastic; then they changed the chili and went to those god-awful all-beef hot dogs.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TBREW401

Bon Ami

http://www.bonami.com/

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by milespatton
They changed to Enco, then discovered that "enco" in Japanese meant "stalled car", so it was rapidly changed to Exxon after research revealed that the word was not in any vocabulary in existence.

I think that ESSO was a step in that change too. Did a little more research and am now more confused than ever. Esso was Standard oil although both signs looked alike except for the letters. Somewhere along the line they both became Exxon, and were maybe part of the same company before that, either Humble or Standard. miles

Yeah, I forgot ESSO. And... if you weren't confused enough, seems like Gulf Oil got into the mix as well.

Dont know who owned what, but in the south it was Esso and as you went north, it became Enco. I remember well when they took down the Esso sign and put up the new Exxon sign, at the local station.

Dad traveled all over the US in the '60's working on missle sites and dams. I remember the Esso credit card was accepted at the Enco stations. You could also buy tires, get a motel room, get meals, and get money with the Esso Card.

I remember writing car license plate numbers down when using gas cards.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The complaints about the light bulbs are interesting.

Do many of you stick to Krypton bulbed flash lights to drain a set of batteries faster than those new fangled LED lights can do?

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sherp

Not even close to being the same quality product. Junk. You can thank the meth druggies for this one.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by sherp

Not even close to being the same quality product. Junk. You can thank the meth druggies for this one.

Why is that?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I always confused the secretary at work when going to the Exxon refinery I would say "Going to Esso" or "Going to standard oil". I think it took her several months to realise I was going to Exxon each time and not another refinery.

Last edited by NathanL; 02/01/15.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I would love to have a recording of Dean singing The Wabash Cannon Ball!

If I remember correctly, they held up the start of a inning once for Ole Diz to finish the song when they put him on the stadium PA.

Last edited by NathanL; 02/01/15.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (300_savage, 35, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 44automag, 7 invisible), 792 guests, and 777 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,387
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.