Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Patterson_%28author%29

I know, Wikipedia, but factual. Read down to game warden and Blyth. Quite the scandal. Even John Hunter alludes to the incident, briefly in his book "Hunter".

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I was hedging that should I write "dumb [bleep]", it may have required you to use your imagination, resulting in my having to then explain it to you. That consideration has of course been negated. About that sense of brevity Hem employees... see what you think.

I was wrong about you being a prick because that's a part on a man. You are something smaller and less masculine.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bart, add GFY and you'll sound just like Ole Ernest!

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

"I did not mind killing anything, any animal, if I killed it cleanly, they all had to die and my interference with the nightly and the seasonal killing that went on all the time was very minute and I had no guilty feeling at all. We ate the meat and kept the hides and horns." —Green Hills of Africa -

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
GHoA is a great read.

Hard to finish The Sun Also Rises without feeling your life has been changed.

Last edited by Steve; 02/02/15.

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
(I couldn't finish War and Peace though)
Was that because you didn't have time to finish it or because you couldn't dig your way through it? WP has been translated many times and each one is different. A good translation makes all the difference. The big problem is Russian names. A Russian will have a half dozen names or more. Which is used depends on who is talking to him. It gets completely confused for a non-Russian speaker. A good translation will use the same name for the person all the way through and it makes the reading far less confusing and much more enjoyable.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Steve
GHoA is a great read.

Hard to finish The Sun Also Rises without feeling your life has been changed.

Very true! I have a first edition "For Whom The Bell Tolls" in my library. A friend once described it to me as "as a young guy I learned everything about love reading that book."

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hemingway is the Remington 870 of writers, his writings are for just about anyone capable of reading the written word.For whom the bell tolls is a good enough read to make any one a fan.

Now is you want to step up to the fine doubles of writers, look at Ruark, "Something of value" is top shelf, his words make you want believe that you are there, where as Hemingway's writing tells you what it would of been like, had you been there.

Both were great writers who's styles are far from the same.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I'd like to tap into the vast Campfire knowledge base with a question about Hemingway's book "Green Hills of Africa".

This book isn't fiction so I wonder if it's worth my time.
Thanks Gang...

It is well worth your read, and it is especially valuable to read it before you read Ruark's Horn of the Hunter.

Hemingway set up the safari with Phillip Percival, who is arguably the Dean of the East African professional hunters. He was Harry Selby's mentor and passed his native staff on to Selby when he retired. Some of these same staff members were on Ruark's first safari some 20 years later.

Percival, given the nickname POP had to deal with EH's hyper competitiveness and moodiness. "Momma" was EH's 2nd wife Pauline Pfiffer. Charles Thompson (Karl) was Hemingway's companion, and close friend from Key West. Thompson owned the cannery there.

Hemingway always weaves the themes of bravery, cowardice, jealously, etc., into his stuff, and there is plenty of it here. He got a good lecture from Percival when he started to brood and steam about the fact that Thompson was getting the better trophies.

The story is more or less very factual with little made up. It is a DEFINITE read for all those into Africa and safari. I'd tell anyone to read this as the first and Horn of the Hunter next. After that, you'll book your own safari. I did!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks abunch Mr.H... That's what I was looking for.
I grudgingly put it down last night right in the middle of chapter 5. I have work to do this morning and it's all I can do not to pick it up.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Told U hatari was THE man on Hemingway...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I honestly enjoy reading Ruark more than Hemingway, and enjoy reading about EH.

He was near sighted and had confidence issues for which he compensated with a hyper macho persona. That's what all the hard drinking, womanizing, let's box behavior was all about.

He was great to be around, certainly never a dull moment. A long time White House staffer said that in 40 years of receiving Heads of State, diplomats, Royalty, etc, that the only personality that could command a room more than Hemingway was Winston Churchill. Strong company for that title.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I liked it but For Whom The Bell Toils is a better read.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari

The one the really like reading is Michael McIntosh. This man really knew shotguns.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger

I'd agree. Ruark is fun and exciting. EH can be a bit melancholy in general.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Having read both, and I believe all of both book wise, I enjoyed Hem much more. I believe to some degree, Ruark was attempting to duplicate Hems experience, right down to the follow up book. No knock on Ruark, as I remember enjoying his work, but quite frankly that is all I remember. Hem influenced the next 100 years of writers and left a lasting memory of his work.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hatari, my take on EH and Green Hills of Africa is much the same as yours. I loved the book when I first read it, oh, about 1976, and I've re-read is several times since. His account of the eland hunt was/is one that has stuck in my mind over the years, and is probably one of the reasons I have set eland as a high priority for my hunt in Zimbabwe this coming August.

Hemingway was incredibly popular/famous during his lifetime, the leading light among American novelists for many years. The feminist movement in literature in the 70's and 80's really slammed him hard, though, and his work is still much-derided even today... but there are still a surprising number of scholars who really enjoy Hem. My elder daughter, who graduated magna cum laude in English Literature, read Hemingway for the first time when I gave her a copy of The Sun Also Rises in her junior year. She loved it, and went on to write her senior seminar on Hemingway, successfully defending his work fiercely against the feminazi's who populated her college's English department.

I quite enjoyed Baker's biography of EH, and recently finished Mellow's 1992 biography. His life story was larger than many fictional characters!

Ruark's Horn of the Hunter may have been inspired by GHoA, but I think Ruark took the concept above and beyond Hemingway's effort. Ruark's account was much more personal and personable. Not many people were inspired by Hemingway to go on safari; a LOT of people were inspired by Ruark. I think Hemingway was more descriptive of the game and the country, whereas Ruark seemed to capture the excitement of the personal experience.

Just my dos centavos.

Last edited by DocRocket; 02/03/15. Reason: Ruark

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Certainly agree with you on Baker. IMO on of the few of Hem's biographers not tinted in professional jealousy. I also believe your comment correct in that RR helped launch Shelby's career, whereas Hem's account was met with some distaste; more professional jealousy imo. Funny, I can't remember any of Hemingway's critics of now or the period, but live with Hemingway's accounts.

Last edited by RichardAustin; 02/03/15.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Doc,

Based on what you say, get this book:

With Hemingway: A Year in Key West and Cuba
Samuelson, Arno
ld

http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/isbn/0394539834/

I promise you will enjoy every page. The best snapshot of life with EH during the 1930's by a college kid who went to meet him and got invited to spend a year with him.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
A recent publication, I think it's called "The Guns of Ernest Hemingway," is worth a look. The authors don't know as much about guns as they think they do, but it's an interesting read about Papa and his firearms.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 71 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,699
Posts18,513,696
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.