-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Follow what the manufacturer of the ammunition suggests. No ports for the fed heavyweight/flitecontrol.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the problem with flite-control wads comes not from the porting. It comes from the wad-stripping facility built into many ported tubes. I had a ported barrel with an older ported choke for many years, and shot lead Federal #4's through it just fine. In fact, I did not notice the addition of the flite-control wad until I fired one at a gobbler and it stuck in his breast.

When my son came online, I gave him my choke tube and bought a Carlson's Dead Coyote and we both were happy with the results. My barrel is still ported.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think ports tend to catch the wad and or rear wad fins. Found this article below. I love the Trulock choke for the Fed #7 load in my Benelli and am buying another Trulock for my son's Benelli. I know it's not needed, but the 3.5" #7 shell and the Trulock tube will absolutely put a dense deadly pattern out to 50 yards. I have not tested it any farther.

http://www.turkeycountrymagazine.com/12MA/MembersOnly/shootingsavvy.html

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Whatever choke and shell combo nitro ray recommends

^^^ This ^^^

Now if I could only find a Rhino .575 for the Benelli M1 Super 90, 20ga that's been crying to be shot with some of Ray's Nitro 7's, I'd be happy.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you plan to use the Federal HW 7s(The most lethal 20ga factory turkey load on the market period), a good cheap option is the Remington Extended Super Full. It's a non-ported, extended, .572 choke and does quite well with the HW 7s as well as others. Walmart online sells the choke for $23.

I've rolled many heads with that combo and it flat pulverizes them.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ShortMagFan
Whatever choke and shell combo nitro ray recommends

+1

Nitro Company Ray will not lead you wrong!!

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Indian Creek or Kicks Gobbling Thunder

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
If you plan to use the Federal HW 7s(The most lethal 20ga factory turkey load on the market period), a good cheap option is the Remington Extended Super Full. It's a non-ported, extended, .572 choke and does quite well with the HW 7s as well as others. Walmart online sells the choke for $23.

I've rolled many heads with that combo and it flat pulverizes them.

This one. Find the Rem chokes and don't look back. Spend the money you save on more shells...

[Linked Image]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really surprised no one mentioned Kicks. Both my kids still hunt with their 20ga. 870 Youth's using Kicks Gobblin' Thunder .560's and Hvy 13 #7's...

Does birds just fine to 40yds.....

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My benelli m1 20 shot best with tight wad and heavy shot. Tried 5 diff chokes and a bunch of ammo and it consistently put the most in the ring at 40. The Indian creek shot 2nd best but cost way more. Plus money saved bought more ammo. I was truly surprised that the cheapest choke performed best consistently during patterning. I have killed 13 turkeys with the gun now, and no longer feel handicap using it instead of the 12. Longest kill was layered at 47 yards.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I set my 12 gauge 870 up before the 20 craze or the explosion of non lead shot. I called Kicks and followed their suggestions, with very good results. Even win an X-card shoot once in a while with my 21" barreled red dot sighted turkey gun. It pisses off the guys with 30 odd inch custom barrels and high power extended focus rifle scopes that cost more than my whole setup, including gunsmithing.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yea I started my 20 before the craze too. Just liked the gun so I started using it. I actually killed quite a few in the woods with ful choke and lead shot. Then converted when I started using it all the time instead of a 12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We over think things now. My pap hunted deer with an open sighted marlin 30-30. He wore his winter work clothes with a brown and red small game vest. He smoked and carried pine knots for a fire when it was cold. No grunt tubes, bait, scents, tree stands or blinds. He had an old Winchester 37 12 gauge and used #6 low brass 1 1/8 Oz for rabbits and high brass 1 1/4 oz #5 for everything else. Of course the turkeys were not as smart as today's birds. Ours need a small cannon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ain't that the truth... Old men in blue denim bib overalls and packing an assortment of shotguns from ragged single shots and pump guns to various SxS shotguns dang near shot turkeys into extinction with paper hulled shells. Woodsmen...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
We over think things now. My pap hunted deer with an open sighted marlin 30-30. He wore his winter work clothes with a brown and red small game vest. He smoked and carried pine knots for a fire when it was cold. No grunt tubes, bait, scents, tree stands or blinds. He had an old Winchester 37 12 gauge and used #6 low brass 1 1/8 Oz for rabbits and high brass 1 1/4 oz #5 for everything else. Of course the turkeys were not as smart as today's birds. Ours need a small cannon.

Your absolutely right and your post reminds me that I need to quit spending so much money on guns and gear and more money on gas and tags!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 870' forcing cones have been lengthened and polished, mounted an expensive choke, buy expensive shells, drilled and tapped receiver for a scope. However has anyone else thought about how turkey hunters are trying to get the bird to come close, we brag about being good at calling and how we are responsible in our shots. Then we try to make a shotgun into a rifle????????????????

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
sumtoy. The great thing with William is if the choke does not shoot like you want he will gladly send you different ones to try

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Trulock does the same. Great company and great chokes at a decent price

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kick's and Indian Creek will exchange chokes with you also until you find the pattern you are looking for.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by xverminator
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Your absolutely right and your post reminds me that I need to quit spending so much money on guns and gear and more money on gas and tags!

X-VERMINATOR

Amen...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (219DW, 44mc, 007FJ, 7887mm08, 35, 11 invisible), 1,378 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,698
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.