Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 26 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 25 26
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I'm sure the 1% of the market represented here at the Campfire will welcome faster twist rates. They rest of their market never even bother to ask about twist rates, nor care.

They wouldn't care if the twist rate was done faster, either. The faster twist in 6mm and .22, especially, wouldn't hurt anything and could only help in allowing the use of heavier, higher BC bullets.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I'm sure the 1% of the market represented here at the Campfire will welcome faster twist rates. They rest of their market never even bother to ask about twist rates, nor care.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm happy to see more quality rifles coming to the market and wish them luck. I don't see a problem with a single announcement by a new manufacturer. But while we're hammering away on twist rates, how about 3 different twist rates for 4 different .284 bores? That doesn't seem very efficient from a manufacturing standpoint. Stick a 9 on all of them and call it a day.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
At least someone is asking. Old enough to notice everyone is charging WAAAAAY more for garbage just cause'... Remmy wants a GRAND to start.. Lighten up. You have a custom manufacturer asking questions. What more can you want?

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At least someone is asking. Old enough to notice everyone is charging WAAAAAY more for garbage just cause'... Remmy wants a GRAND to start.. Lighten up. You have a custom manufacturer asking questions. What more can you want?

A manufacturer who actually asks because he plans to incorporate what the people he asked says. Otherwise he is just trying to get some cheap advertising; and that to the wrong crowd.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ringman

A manufacturer who actually asks because he plans to incorporate what the people he asked says. Otherwise he is just trying to get some cheap advertising; and that to the wrong crowd.

DingKchunt,

You sorry,sorry,sorry...STUPID fhuqking piece of schit! Bless your heart!!!

The OP is as fhuqking SRTUPID as you and both you DUMB Kchunts are oblivious to looooooonnngggggg established FACTS. Hint. Laughing!!!

The 1903 was wearing a 1-10" spout at inception. Though a 1-12" 20" long 308Win tube will pinwheel 208A-Max at sealevel,when supersonic. Hint. Laughing!!!

These STUPID fhuqkers put 1-12" spouts on their 22-250. Mebbe you and Brad can guess(if only because you HAVE to),which of these will hit headfirst?!?

[Linked Image]

Or perhaps muse 6mm's?!? Laughing!

Cheer up..I don't shoot any of 'em either,except for ALL of 'em. Hint. laughing!!!

[Linked Image]

I'll yet again feign my "suprise",that the dumbfhuqking Drooling OP skirted ALL things The Rifle and Windows keep getting licked. Laughing!

COAL constraints and throat geometry matter,to them with a clue.

RE-hint!!!!!

Wowwwwwwwwwwww.

Ooopsie..the Garand was 1-10" on inception too.

My bad.

[Linked Image]

Laughing!!!!!

Mebbe send an EMERGENCY Coke-bottle PM and get Shrapnel to "help".

Fhuqking LAUGHING!!!!..............

Cheer up...a 1-10" Liljee SAAMI 7-08 will pinwheel 162A-Max to 1200yds and beyond,despite The Milford Sea Level. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just sayin'..............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reed

Brad: Yes we do have a scale in the shop and all the stocks have and have had weights assigned to them on the High Tech Specialties Web site. As you stated in your post there has been no change to that Web site and the stock weights for a number of years. It is action dependent of course so the weighs are different. I weighed one of the stocks that we are using on the Legendary Arms Works rifles and it weighs 25 ounces, painted, with the aluminum bedding blocks and a Pachmayr Decelerator pad installed.

Stocks and Sales: We will continue to maintain the High Tech Specialties Web site and sell aftermarket stocks there as available. As available means that we will be focusing initially in the stocks for the Legendary Arms Works rifles and fill in the other stocks in production as we can. Mark had over 30 molds including most in left hand. The construction of the stocks has not changed in either the High Tech aftermarkets or the Legendary Arms Works stocks with the exception that the LAWS stocks will now have the aluminum bedding construction. The stocks are hand laid with multiple layers of fiberglass cloth (I believe 8 ounce weight) and the same high strength epoxy materials that Mark has always used. We will be broadening the line late 2015

So got an email from Hope yesterday... apparently you (LAW) don't inlet your M70 stocks for the factory 1-piece bottom metal.

Since that's the only metal used on M70's since around 2005 or a bit earlier (both the last of the CT M70's and newer SC made ones) it seems a shame to lose such a large portion of the market.

I find it difficult to believe you all can't set up for a 1-piece inlet...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find it hard to believe how little business sense you have Brad. Mr. Reed has made this so clear that a [bleep] could understand what apparently is going right over your head. Stocks will be made to supply their new rifles first. After that, they'll get to the aftermarket segment. Mark Bansner made most of his customs in the beginning around Remington actions and then went with to the custom clones (Nesika's IIRC) for most of his builds and mod 70's for a dangerous game model, again IIRC. The name of this venture is Legendary Arms Works, not Legends in their own Minds Works. I'm betting that no matter what they make available down the road, you'll still be asking questions and won't be blowing the dust off your credit card to place an order regardless of what they make available.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RD, go phhuck yourself.

Even a [bleep] can understand that...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Same goes for the Ruger M77. Last I called they only made a stock for the old tanger. How long has that been out of production?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Brad
RD, go phhuck yourself.

OOO-OOO-AHHH-AHHHH!

OOO-OOO-AHHH-AHHHHH!

(chest pound font)

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
RD, go phhuck yourself.

I'm not that flexible and I have decent resources available to satisfy those needs. But geeeze Bradley how many times in how many threads did you birddog this guy for the weight of their stocks ? How many times did you ask him how they were made when he made it very clear that they were made the same way Mark Bansner made them but increased the volume ? The guy (Reed) comes here to #1 announce the product and #2 answer questions and even takes the suggestions seriously enough to make changes (twist rates) and your way of showing your appreciation is to ankle bite the guy day after day about production methods and stamp your little feet until you got an answer to your question. I probably won't sleep tonight knowing a person of your caliber told me to go phhuck myself.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Okbow87
JasonH, go and look at how many members are on this site. It has the most of any gun forum on the web that I visit by a huge margin. And if you don't think people will by stuff that is done right, think again. Matter of fact I just saw 50 rifles spec'd right in a custom order from kimber sell in less than two days on another forum. The order isn't finalized yet, but I don't forsee many backing out of their word on that one. I'm more than willing to give one of these rifles a go, but if I can't shoot the bullets I want to run, there's no point. Why give a great accuracy guarantee and not twist it for the bullets used where that accuracy will matter. A 1.5 moa rifle will kill a lot of stuff to 300 yards no problem shooting ping pong balls.

As far as the gun writers and tv show hosts go. You said it yourself. They have to pay the bills. So you are never going to get a 100% real review from 99% of them. I prefer to stay in my career field, run my side business with my wife, and buy/build stuff as I see fit. Not pimp somebody else's [bleep] up for a few dollars and some free ammo.

Where was this Kimber group buy?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
Also, any chance of having a prototype at the Great Outdoor Show in Harrisburg next week?

They have a booth at the show and I'm heading out there next week. If I see Paul Reed there, I'm going to walk right up to him and ask him....."what's the twist rate in this rifle" just to see his reaction........... grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I might do the same thing to them. smile

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
so if they change the twist rate how many of you are going to pony up the money for one ...........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm quite seriously considering it; twist rate or not. The barrels can get changed. For the price, if it is what they say it is, even with a barrel change it's a damned good deal.

I want to see one in person first, though.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Still don't know how they are throated in relationship to mag constraints. With the right twist and ample room in mag for the right bullets I would entertain purchasing one inspite of the stock

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Reed Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Greetings The Campfire,

My apologies for the delayed responses, it has been hard to keep up with all the postings on the various forums as well as make a few rifles! I just realized that my last posting update was way back on page 6. We greatly appreciate all the feedback, input, criticism and comments on our rifles. Passion with a bit of Poison at times is the way I would describe this thread and the number of responses is almost overwhelming to us at the company. I hope we can be civil with each other and those who offer up poison will be ignored by us I suspect. I will try to catch up with the questions and comments but it might take me a day or so...

Blackbrush: Your question about the design and construction of the bolt and bolt head is a valid one and an astute observation. My short answer is that it is safe but of course you want facts. I am in the process of gathering some engineering data and information that I will provide to you shortly, just be a bit patient with my timing. If you look at some other photo angles of the bolt you will see that despite the cuts there is still a substantial amount of material on the lugs and it is not a one lug configuration. I am trying to get some other photos together to post on the Website to allow shooters to see it...please stay tuned.

Twist Rates: Yes, we got the message, twist rates are important of certainly to this group of shooters. It is a bit of a challenge to configure barrels and twist rates that will satisfy everybody. The shooter's on this forum are more advanced in their skills and shooting requirements when compare it to the average hunter who really doesn't pay attention to twist rates. For us, trying to keep our rifles at a price point that is competitive, it is difficult to offer a variety of options. I will say in general we are making an effort overall to move to faster twists. We will be looking at each caliber chambering again with an eye to “modernize" the twist rates more. As I stated in an earlier posting, we will be reestablishing our custom business, but probably not until late 2015 or early 2016. There the sky is the limit. The information that all of you are providing has been very helpful. Shortactionsmoker has a pretty good suggestion to market to the rifle guys, the others won't know the difference or care.

Taylorforce1: your observation about the industry moving towards sub $500 rifles your spot on. We call it “the race to the bottom". We wonder where it will end. I am not suggesting that those rifles don't have a purpose, but that is not where we want to be with our rifles.

Tedthorn: thanks for your comments. I guess I would say “different strokes, for different folks" when it comes to our action configuration and the sharp edges you refer to. I think it makes the rifle look distinctive but at the same time still comfortable to carry in the hand. Your point about the scope base hanging over the rear action bridge is a valid one. Part of the reason is the size and configuration of the Talley style base and weaver style bases that we are using. In reality the real issue is the length of the rear receiver bridge is generally shorter than most other rifles. I will take that suggestion back to Mark and the team and see if we can make a modification. With regard to the bolt handle welding, that is a good comment but TIG welding is a bit harder to do and can be more expensive. We have tested the bolt handles under significant stress and have been satisfied with their strength. However if you are a handloader who likes to run in the world of maximum pressure, and end up sticking a bolt shut, we can't guarantee it when you whack at it with a 2x4! For normal hunting and shooting use the bolt handles have held up well. 28 Nosler...looks like an interesting cartridge and new can be good...not going to say anymore to avoid divulging company secrets. With regard to bottom metal, no immediate plans for a blind magazine. I personally don't like them but understand that there is a desire for that in the market.

Skane: Nope, not Hawkins bottom metal but one of equal quality. You are correct on the blind magazine issue...it seems to be a true split down the middle.

Steelhead, tedtthorn: Regarding the stock "2x4 look" that you suggest is perhaps the way the picture is configures. Yes the stock does have a squarish flat bottom and it sits well in the bags but at the same time feels well and carries well. This design has been on Mark's stocks for over 20 years and has been widely accepted. I suggest reserving judgment until you can get one in your hand. Ted-I'll take that bet, I don't think you carry the gun that far up on the forearm of the stock but rather at the floorplate where it is slightly rounded. They feel well in the hand. I used a Big Five in Mozambique on a buffalo hunt last September and carried it for 10 days and never once felt it was uncomfortable.

JasonH: You are correct with regard to prices. We took pretty hard look at the market and you see two "peaks" one under $500 and the other over ~$2500. Considering a Winchester Model 70 is selling in the $1100 to $1200 range we think we have a market price point that is attractive considering the features offered. And you are correct, we are spoiled in the US with our options...but I submit that there is one rifle out there that will make you happy smirk

Deflave: The 243 with a 1 in 8" really seems to me to be on he extreme end of the shooting community wishes but as I said we are looking at all twists. I do not have personal experience with a 243 so can't offer real life fact based opinion. Do you have experience with that twist rate and shooting bullets at the extreme light and heavy ends of the spectrum? If so how did they shoot?

Tedthorn: The bottom metal pocket is both cut and molded, the fit is excellent IMO. Utter the phrase “Injection Molded” and that will get you fired at LAW after Mark tears you a new one. Okay, no more company secrets...

RDfinn: $20K for a mold...I wish! I had no idea what was involved to make a stock and I'll bet most others would be surprised too. Knowing what I know makes our rifles an even better value IMO.

Tedthorn: You are absolutely right on, I am overwhelmed at the amount of advice we have received from this and other forums. I can't keep up and of course not all of it is actionable for us but the test bed is something unique to our sport I suspect. Maybe the car guys get as passionate but for us in the gun industry we can't even begin to put a value on the advice...thanks again to all.

Steelhead: COAL and mag box information...Heard it, I just put the final touches of an Action Specification Sheet and it will be up on the LAW Website next week in the Model 704 Action Specs link here: http://www.legendaryarmsworks.com/704-action/. It should give all the information people want. Yes, looking at the 7mm cartridge twists...we chose the industry accepted standards but are reviewing them

Tedthorn/taylorforce: Regarding the statement: This company won't be around in 5 years if they want to build $1500 rifles that a company in Yonkers already builds for 500 less.... you refer to a Kimber. I have one in our shop and have compared them side by side...not even close on many fronts, stock is not as comfortable to me, not Cerakoted etc. Melvin Forbes is a great gunsmith with tremendous experience and he and Mark are friends but it is a push feed rifle.

JasonH: Correct, we are not marketing an ultra light rifle but rather a sporter rifle and you are correct in our competitive environment being Nosler and perhaps a Montana. With most of the other rifles the separator is the controlled round feed action.

10thgeneration/thekid/fosteology/rwe: As I stated above, we appreciate the advice and yes it is equivalent to an R&D department. We are listening, may not mean we can act on everything though. And yes I’d like to think it takes balls to come here and “run the gauntlet” but I will say that the response has been at least 90% positive constructive criticism for the forum both publicly and in PMs. There are some members who should be sent to their room without milk and cookies however…

Moosemike: We will be at the Great American Outdoor Show in booth 457. Please stop by and introduce yourself.

Mmgravy: I don’t think we are “afraid” of changing twists but we are taking both a measured and fact based approach to producing rifles that will appeal to most shooters. I’m not saying we are trying to make our rifles “generic” but each change is being very well researched and thought out primarily because changes translate to one thing-expense. I think we have shown that we are adaptable at LAW. We heard the message-reconsider your twist rates.

Regarding the Ron Spomer video: Jesus guys, before you go off the rails further please take a breath, get a glass of single malt and relax cool … Yes the commentary may seem misleading, but here are the FACTS. SHOT Show range day is huge amount of activity for many gun companies. Our team was set up and was shooting at a steel gong at 500 yards. Ron shot about midway through the day and the gong was obliterated with hits (yes I said hits at 500 yards) making it hard to determine a group. It was not possible to go downrange, nor permitted and no there was no snow, just bullets flying around! And yes there were optics there and yes there was an attempt to spot the gong but after so much shooting it was not truly possible to judge a group. I thought I remember someone here posting that they were at the Range Day event so perhaps they would corroborate my summary. The event was really meant to allow the writers and dealers to shoot the rifle a bit, get familiar with the fit, feel and finish not an extensive testing for accuracy. That will come later when they rifles in the hands at their home ranges. Currently there are at least three articles in the works by writers and those will be more detailed. Really the SHOT Show range day is more akin to a beauty pageant than a full blown rifle test. There is so much activity going on that all writers and dealers get to do is quick review. Spomer is a man of high ethics and a good writer IMO with boundless energy and I think he was impressed with the gun. Deflave….an unemployed alcoholic with a Zeiss spotter and camera….maybe you should replace your milk carton with beverage that is a little more calming

Ringman: We are trying to answer questions, get feedback and be transparent. As for my postings just being a commercial to get cheap advertising, I think that would be insulting for me to do that to the Forum members. No question that we want to sell guns, we probably could spend our money on the typical advertising avenues with less effort but that is not the goal. I think I’ve shown that LAW is giving in return for getting. If the moderator views this as advertising they always have the option to remove the thread but that has not happened on any of the forums where I have been commenting.

Brad: Hope told me about the communication with you and I’m sorry that we can’t immediately fulfill your needs for a M70 configuration you seek. As I said in earlier posts nearly all of our efforts in stock making are being devoted to the M704 rifles and we “fill in” as we can on the secondary market. Yes the market is probably strong for a variety of rifle fits, I think at last count we had 35 variations in house. Yes we can set up to fit that M70 and probably will hopefully in the near future. I would submit however that you would be aghast if I told you the amount of effort and finances to do one rifle stock mold…not done overnight.

Gents, Let’s try to keep the thread positive or I will be forced to send some of you guys to detention grin

RDFinn: Yep, as I said above we will be at the Great American Outdoor Show booth 457. I will be there towards the end of the show with Craig at our booth. Please visit and introduce yourself. If you ask me “what is the twist rate on this rifle” my answer will be “Oh, all our guns are twisted fast, they shoot any bullet you can find” smile

I’ll end this long winded response again with a genuine “Thank You” to the forum for the feedback…I gotta go help make a rifle.

Paul

Last edited by Reed; 02/07/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Reed
I would submit however that you would be aghast if I told you the amount of effort and finances to do one rifle stock mold…not done overnight.

I know what it costs for the mold so I wouldn't be "aghast"... milling out the bottom a bit more for 1-piece bottom metal vs. 2 piece doesn't require a new mold, it just requires milling it out differently. Sheesh. CNC can be programmed for that.

Bansners/High Tech did a 1-piece M70 inlet for me summer of 2012, but for some reason won't do it now. Obviously it doesn't take a new mold.

No worries, I have a McMillan on order instead.

Thanks.

PS, I wish you all the best with LAW... if you're able to deliver at the quoted prices I think you'll have a winner. Looks like a lot of rifle for the money.

Last edited by Brad; 02/07/15.

Page 9 of 26 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 257_X_50, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,498 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,834
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.