Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotload
I liked it but For Whom The Bell Toils is a better read.

+1

"He could feel his heart beating against the pine needle floor of the forest."

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of his best, the Boss shotgun he used to kill himself, got cut up and buried somewhere near the Idaho house.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm impressed by the fact that he liked his Springfield and Mannlicher rifles over his Double rifle. Or at least that's what I get through chapter 8.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good read. Economical.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
All Hemingway's writing is pithy and "economical", totally unlike the flowery writing with complex sentence structures that had come before. I don't know that he thought he was a great writer -- he thought Flaubert was the best, and Flaubert's style is unlike his.

I think what made Hemingway popular was his "modernness". He wrote about sex, psychological issues, and heavy drinking which was quite the contrast to the Victorian writers.

My favorite of his has always been "The Sun Also Rises" which he wrote when only twenty-six. I'm not even sure he understood the underlying sexual and psychological issues which he portrayed there.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hemingway was quoted more than once that the quality of work should be judged not by what it included by rather what edited, how much and what he was able to leave out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by postoak
... I'm not even sure he understood the underlying sexual and psychological issues which he portrayed there.

Which, of course, would never keep some literature teacher from expecting his/her students to be able to figure them out, even though Hemingway himself didn't.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Originally Posted by Boise
Hemmingway's Green Hills of Africa is far easier for me to read than Teddy Roosevelt's African Game Trails.

I was impressed with their writing, not so much with their hunting prowess.

True for me too. I found TR's style laborious to read.

thank you two....im an African hunting literature fanatic and i gave up on African Game Trails half way through....rarely hear anyone else say they didnt care for it....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Hatari, my take on EH and Green Hills of Africa is much the same as yours. I loved the book when I first read it, oh, about 1976, and I've re-read is several times since. His account of the eland hunt was/is one that has stuck in my mind over the years, and is probably one of the reasons I have set eland as a high priority for my hunt in Zimbabwe this coming August.

Hemingway was incredibly popular/famous during his lifetime, the leading light among American novelists for many years. The feminist movement in literature in the 70's and 80's really slammed him hard, though, and his work is still much-derided even today... but there are still a surprising number of scholars who really enjoy Hem. My elder daughter, who graduated magna cum laude in English Literature, read Hemingway for the first time when I gave her a copy of The Sun Also Rises in her junior year. She loved it, and went on to write her senior seminar on Hemingway, successfully defending his work fiercely against the feminazi's who populated her college's English department.

I quite enjoyed Baker's biography of EH, and recently finished Mellow's 1992 biography. His life story was larger than many fictional characters!

Ruark's Horn of the Hunter may have been inspired by GHoA, but I think Ruark took the concept above and beyond Hemingway's effort. Ruark's account was much more personal and personable. Not many people were inspired by Hemingway to go on safari; a LOT of people were inspired by Ruark. I think Hemingway was more descriptive of the game and the country, whereas Ruark seemed to capture the excitement of the personal experience.

Just my dos centavos.

Excellent post, Doc and mirrors my views, even given my family's connection to Hemingway, I never did warm up to his style, and I'll descend even deeper into blasphemy by saying I enjoy Capstick much better than Ruark OR Hemingway! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Jorge... I really, really enjoy Capstick as well. As far as writing about Africa in particular and dangerous game hunting in general goes, I think PHC set the bar and no one has matched him yet.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
postoak... There is no question that Hemingway thought of himself as a great writer, perhaps "the greatest" writer of his generation. He was to 20th century fiction writing what Muhammed Ali was to boxing in his prime, and he knew it.

I have to disagree that Hemingway's content was all that revolutionary... if you read his contemporaries, Joyce and Fitzgerald, they're equally frank about sex and conflict and drinking. His style and disciplined writing technique was what set him apart, and he drew that from both his journalist background as well as his tutelage by Gertrude Stein.

As for his understanding of the "underlying issues" in The Sun Also Rises, EH was very much aware of what he was writing about. Reading his letters and his biographers makes that abundantly clear.

As Richard Austin points out, EH's style was much more poetical than most prose writers of his--or most any other--day, in that he said almost as much by what he didn't write as by what he did write.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hatari, I believe I've read excerpts from that book... I'll see if I can find it on Amazon.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Jorge... I really, really enjoy Capstick as well. As far as writing about Africa in particular and dangerous game hunting in general goes, I think PHC set the bar and no one has matched him yet.

Capstick certainly had the best imagination.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
... he said almost as much by what he didn't write as by what he did write.

I tried and tried to convince my English teachers of just that in regards to my writing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
grin

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 5sdad
... he said almost as much by what he didn't write as by what he did write.

I tried and tried to convince my English teachers of just that in regards to my writing.

Roflmao!!!! Jameson's all over the screen!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if you've read Stein, but it is not what I would call disciplined, and I'm not certain she always used actual words. Hem attributed his style more to writing for news papers, or just news as a correspondent, than what he got from Stein. He did attribute the repetitive content to Stein, and they may have both been influenced by James more than each other.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Capstick certainly had the best imagination.

I caught that! smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those not in the know, Griz also knew PHC, but let's not open that can of worm on a Hemingway thread.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea that was a chuckle; at the tim I was pre-occupied with the inaccrochable Doc. I was unable to recall the person I wanted to name.

The name I couldn't think of previously, Ring Laudner (sp?), a journalist with one of the papers of the day, was the author Hemingway said he most tried to style himself after.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 66 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,698
Posts18,513,676
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.