Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I don't know if you've read Stein, but it is not what I would call disciplined, and I'm not certain she always used actual words. Hem attributed his style more to writing for news papers, or just news as a correspondent, than what he got from Stein. He did attribute the repetitive content to Stein, and they may have both been influenced by James more than each other.

Early (very early) in his career he worked as a reporter for The Kansas City Star. He said it was the early foundation for his "style," giving credit to his editors.

If one wants to see tight writing, read his short stories. There are numerous collections of them.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
toltecgriz, thanks. Some of his best work was as a WW II correspondent; his trans Atlantic cables were a study in brevity. I have read - I think - all of his articles, published letters, articles he wrote under pen names (to avoid breeching contracts), all his short stories and books at least twice, sometimes more than twice. I quite like Hemingway's writing. I think it time to re-read either one of his works or something written about him. Thee only thing I haven't read that I know of is Gelhorn's book.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
D
D
Like others have mentioned, I have enjoyed reading about EH even more than reading his works. My 2nd cousin's father-in-law went to high school with H and they were buds (they had nicknames for each other but I don't recall what they were.) H wrote to him many times during adulthood, and my cousin's wife had the letters. I remember one story she told me about H and her father canoeing on the Illinois river, and H writing something on a town's welcome sign. I can't remember exactly, but the sign had something like, family first, Illinois second. Hemingway wrote, "and God third."

Last edited by DaveCo; 02/05/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave I feel certain Hemingway wrote about that adventure, although it could have been one of his biographers, or both. He was Hemstein I believe, a joke about the local pawn brokers.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Close, I think it was Hemingstein, a nickname he carried for a long time.

Any of the Michigan short stories would probably work for you.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any man that could bang Marlena Dietrich after dinner on the stairs at "21" in NYC has to admired. smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hmmm...lots of those writers & artists in that day were a lusty lot.

Beryl Markham, who was mentioned earlier, was the mistress of Baron von Blixen, the husband of Karen von Blixen, who write Out of Africa. Without discussing the affair, she wrote about elephant hunting with the Baron, and it was a pretty funny chapter.

Imagination or not, Capstick could write. At some point in Florida he acquired a Freon-powered, fully automatic bb gun. He fantasized being a WWI gunner shooting at biplanes, while he was actually shooting at dragonflies. I hurt my ribs laughing at that story.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I always enjoy reading Capstick. He was very gracious about acknowledging newspaper articles that I sent him regarding animal attacks. While the primary motivation for 99.99% of writers is to make money (even though Mrs. Mefferd would never accept that as an answer to "What was the writer's purpose?"), for some reason it is held against PHC while not against others.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I always enjoy reading Capstick. He was very gracious about acknowledging newspaper articles that I sent him regarding animal attacks. While the primary motivation for 99.99% of writers is to make money (even though Mrs. Mefferd would never accept that as an answer to "What was the writer's purpose?"), for some reason it is held against PHC while not against others.

have a book by the guy that did PHC's half dozen African hunting videos and it has a few chapters about PHC including personal communication between them....shows pretty well that PHC liked to poke fun at himself and didnt take himself to damn seriously....he is one hell of a story teller, love reading his stories....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ken Wilson? Great guy!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
Close, I think it was Hemingstein, a nickname he carried for a long time.

Any of the Michigan short stories would probably work for you.

That sounds right. Seems they later also shortened it to just Stein or Stien. I think you right about the short stories as well. I enjoyed those immensely as I think he wrote about his childhood with a certain passion.

Hatari, his son (Bumby? maybe) wrote an account of walking in to the kitchen for breakfast and he (Hem) had Mary in what he described as an athletic round of morning sex.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DaveCo
Like others have mentioned, I have enjoyed reading about EH even more than reading his works. My 2nd cousin's father-in-law went to high school with H and they were buds (they had nicknames for each other but I don't recall what they were.) H wrote to him many times during adulthood, and my cousin's wife had the letters. I remember one story she told me about H and her father canoeing on the Illinois river, and H writing something on a town's welcome sign. I can't remember exactly, but the sign had something like, family first, Illinois second. Hemingway wrote, "and God third."

And Dave, just noticed your post count. Pardon the lack of manners; welcome, and thank you for adding to a topic of interest.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[/quote]

Hatari, his son (Bumby? maybe) wrote an account of walking in to the kitchen for breakfast and he (Hem) had Mary in what he described as an athletic round of morning sex.

The incident is from Misadventures of a Fly Fisherman by Jack Hemingway. Jack walked by Hemingway's bedromm midday while he was engaged with Gelhorn. It happened in Cuba.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jack was Bumby, his childhood nick name. I could have swore it was on the kitchen table, but I wouldn't bet a little finger or anything. Didn't he say something about cereal being everywhere? Wasn't Mary? My memory may not be worth crap; it's been quite awhile since reading that.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Another story about Papa was a Literary agent approaching him to write a short novel of his (E.H.'s) choosing and told E.H. that he could, in fact, get 50k$ upfront with just a simple nod from E.H. to do so.

E.H. allegedly told the agent to proceed immediately and when he got the 50k$ in hand to covert the $ to nickels and shove'em up his big nosed Jew ass.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
And on one occasion, IIRC he was speaking to the New York City Press Club when this little old lady walked up to Hemingway and asked him what motivated him to write such wonderful novels? His reply was "I write novels so I can hunt!"

He enjoyed building a big fire when in Africa and he'd sit with his choice whiskey and when the hyena showed their glaring eyes....he'd shoot them in the gut and get a big laugh out of hearing the pack eat the wounded beast!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hemingway admired Ring Lardner's writings as a teenager and he actually used his Lardner's name while writing articles at times for his school's newspaper.

Lardner wrote some pretty good short stories.

Yea that was a chuckle; at the tim I was pre-occupied with the inaccrochable Doc. I was unable to recall the person I wanted to name.

The name I couldn't think of previously, Ring Laudner (sp?), a journalist with one of the papers of the day, was the author Hemingway said he most tried to style himself after.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the update BRYMoore. I really appreciate everyone that contributes to a Hemingway thread.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the update BRYMoore. I really appreciate everyone that contributes to a Hemingway thread.

Did you look up the passage?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by RMulhern

He enjoyed building a big fire when in Africa and he'd sit with his choice whiskey and when the hyena showed their glaring eyes....he'd shoot them in the gut and get a big laugh out of hearing the pack eat the wounded beast!

Chapter and verse?

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1lessdog, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1234, 48 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,107
Posts18,502,189
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.