Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by swarf
FYI: I have a Grizzly 12x36 that I bought brand new. It is a Model 1001.

My big bitch with it is that it was in some respects like the one that someone pictured. To go from the "high" range of speeds to the "low" range of speeds you had to pull the end cover off, remove a bolt, and turn a gear over about the size of a small dinner plate, and then engage a quadrant gear differently. Too much of a PIA for me. I was very disappointed.
Think: Drill a big hole, drill a little hole. Face something big, and then get it down to 3 inches. A PIA....

My correction to this was to buy a phase converter, a 3 phase motor, and put a different pulley on the input shaft. I can now run it dead slow to thread. Before this it's slowest speed was something like 70 RPM. I hated to do coarse threads on it. I now do wrinkle paint stock jobs at about 4RPMs, and fly rod guides the same way.

My first lathe, was a 12x36 Atlas. I bought it new, and figured out how to set it up myself. I had never run a lathe until I bought it. I taught myself threading, setups, etc., by reading books and figuring things out. If I'd started at 70RPM learning to cut threads rather than 28 I'd still be down there busting things up. I had read books for years, and thought a lot.

My lathe is essentially the cheapest Grizzly Gunsmith's lathe with enhancements. They put a switch on the apron, and lengthened the bed to 40 inches. If you are looking at the cheapest of the Grizzly gunsmithing lathes you might check some of these things out. I got a taper attachment with mine and would want one.

I also wish I presently had a milling attachment. I am getting to the point where old age and poverty is preventing me from doing more work. I chamber through the headstock mostly, and would mount a good floating reamer holder in that. If you had a DRO you could also use it then to move your carriage back-and- forth to add and gauge any chambering depth. You would still want to use your depth mike against your headspace gauges, but it would make things much quicker. You would still have to watch for flex, deflection, work hardening, etc. Experience with YOUR equipment would teach you that if you weren't too dumb to learn from it.

I might have missed something in my thoughts, but I am certain that someone here will square me away. Oh, I also use one of Greg Tannels' muzzle flushers when I chamber through the headstock. I use a Bald Eagle floating holder. I got mine from the guy who invented it, about the time he did so.

Just brainstorming for you. Hope it helps. Hope others pitch in that have experience. If I suffered some type of brain lock forgive me.

I started with books, a few brains, and common sense. I learned a lot along the way.

I have a Precision Matthews pm1440bv which has the freq drive built into the control panel and the high/low is a simple lever. The variable speed is awesome.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I recently retired after a 40 year career as a Journeyman Tool & Die Maker, most of the companies I worked for had 15" Clausing Colchester lathes, in later years clones of the same. I was always satisfied with those lathes, for a brief time I worked at a company that had a Hardinge Toolroom lathe. That was pretty much the top of the line as far as a lathe goes, the nice part about a Hardinge is that they have a lever that allows your to retract the cross slide quickly and not have to worry about disengaging the half nut and backing the cross slide off manually. An immense help when threading up to a shoulder or into a blind hole. In later years I learned to set-up the threading tool upside down and backwards and run the lathe in reverse when threading a blind hole. An old gunsmith taught me that trick many years ago.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bought the Clausing-Colchester 13x36 for $1,200. It is a working machine with the usual accessories and a complete set of collets but the collet chuck is missing. Anyone have one? It was built in 1960. It is filthy and greasy but no rust and the ways seem good.

The sweet thing about this deal is, after considering the $1,000.00 profit I made on the sale of my SB11, I'm only out of pocket $200.00. And it is only a little over one mile from its new home.

The downside is that since it is 5hp 3phase my small rotary converter won't drive it. So I'm searching CL for a larger unit. Anyone have one?

Overall I am very well pleased. Grizzly losses a $4,600 sale.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
Bought the Clausing-Colchester 13x36 for $1,200. It is a working machine with the usual accessories and a complete set of collets but the collet chuck is missing. Anyone have one? It was built in 1960. It is filthy and greasy but no rust and the ways seem good.

My 1967 Clausing 13x36 was $1200 in 2002, came with a quarter ton of tooling, and was so dirty that I could not see the 70's Boeing Seafoam green shop paint. My wife saw it in the carport and was shocked, and said I needed a shop, and she was not going to wait for me to pour the slab. She hired a slab contractor. I framed and sided the shop. She wired the panels and boxes, and I pulled the wires.

It was a mistake to own a worn out old piece of lathe, but I got a shop in the deal. Now there is a Chinese lathe in there.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

No doubt the ChiComs do make good machinery.

If this Clausing hadn't presented I would most likely be in line for a new Grizz. Especially if my livelihood depended upon it.

I'm an amateur amateur hobby machinist and love to breath new life into old iron. Also I do a lot of repairs to our farm equipment.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have bought, fixed, sold a number of old American lathes for gunsmithing.

I have paid for a number of old American mills for gunsmithing.

The current marketplace of supply and demand makes old lathes for gunsmithing as impractical as everyone using 1950s cars like Cuba.

An old lathe on today's market is a poor investment for gunsmithing.

But the marketplace for used American mills for gunsmithing is like buying 5 year old American cars for commuting.

A used American mill surplused by industry, for gunsmithing is very competitive with buying a new Chinese mill.

This is the kind of thing some people cannot understand.
"But I got a good one!"

"Did you go to Vegas and tripled your money, too? Are you telling everyone to go to Vegas?"

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Two manufacturers who produce quality equipment are Supermax and Emco Maier (NOT ENCO). I have used their equipment for many years and have yet to find anything better. Emco Maier is rather pricey purchased new, but well worth the effort to seek out on the secondary market. As for DRO's for the last 30 years of my career I have used TRAK DRO's from Southwest Industries. Like the Trav-A-Dial that many old timers are familiar with, the TRAK uses a rotary encoder rather than a glass scale. Less bulky, easier to mount and reliable if kept clean. Keeping them clean consists of replacing the reader head wiper/seals occasionally and NOT using compress air anywhere around them.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A good piece of equipment when it comes to collets is the collet check manufactured by Bison (Polish), it looks like a lathe check and mounts on the spindle nose of the lathe. Collets are loosened/tightened with a chuck key just like a 3 jaw chuck. Bison brand is reasonably priced and there are knock offs sold by the catalog suppliers, I have seen them on sale for $99.00. You need to purchase a back plate to match the type of spindle nose of your lathe but it is stall a cost effective accessory to give your lathe collet capability.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
rather than a glass scale. ..

Yes, I have a replacement glass scale and TTL encoder en route from China right now. The original from China, installed with the DRO by Machine Tools On line in Pittsburgh, failed in 5.5 years.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have bought, fixed, sold a number of old American lathes for gunsmithing.

I have paid for a number of old American mills for gunsmithing.

The current marketplace of supply and demand makes old lathes for gunsmithing as impractical as everyone using 1950s cars like Cuba.

An old lathe on today's market is a poor investment for gunsmithing.

But the marketplace for used American mills for gunsmithing is like buying 5 year old American cars for commuting.

A used American mill surplused by industry, for gunsmithing is very competitive with buying a new Chinese mill.

This is the kind of thing some people cannot understand.
"But I got a good one!"

"Did you go to Vegas and tripled your money, too? Are you telling everyone to go to Vegas?"

I'm not a gunsmith, never have been, never will be.

I'm an amateur, amateur machinist who repairs his own farm equipment and occasionally makes a (very) few bucks machining parts for friends and neighbors.

I've been to Vegas...

www.paracay.com

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
A good piece of equipment when it comes to collets is the collet check manufactured by Bison (Polish), it looks like a lathe check and mounts on the spindle nose of the lathe. Collets are loosened/tightened with a chuck key just like a 3 jaw chuck. Bison brand is reasonably priced and there are knock offs sold by the catalog suppliers, I have seen them on sale for $99.00. You need to purchase a back plate to match the type of spindle nose of your lathe but it is stall a cost effective accessory to give your lathe collet capability.

Thank you.

I went to their site and might do business with them. First I want to get the lathe on site and make sure the collet chuck isn't hiding somewhere. I have a feeling it may be in the mess surrounding the machine and will magically appear when we move it.

www.paracay.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That lathe chucks that I have owned are Buck, Rohm, interstate, and whatever comes on a lathe from china.

You can see the price herarchy in a couple pages here:
Buck
Bison
Gibralter
Interstate
Chinese generic

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=440&PMCTLG=00

The disadvantage of the Interstate compared to the three levels above it is, in 3 jaw or 6 jaw, that it only has one key hole. Kind of hard to rotate the lathe spindle by hand when in a low gear.

But as far as gunsmithing goes, my dial through 6 jaw intestate zeros as well as my dial through 6 jaw Buck Chuck.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I found the collet chuck except it is not a "chuck" which is why we could not find it. It is a drawbar. Anyway I now have a complete set of collets from .0625" to 1.125" and the means to employ them.

Can't wait to get this beast moved in and cleaned up.

I have a line on a NIB 7.5hp rotary converter that I think I'll buy.

www.paracay.com

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Got the rotary converter. The lathe is cleaned up and running. I am well pleased.

www.paracay.com

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,513 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,084
Posts18,482,814
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.