Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by passport
Has anyone ever shot a deer with a Matchking? I know they say not too but dont they say that about the Secnar too?

Hundreds. SMK's main shortcoming is variability. Not just from bullet to bullet from the same model, but from caliber to caliber and weight to weight within the same caliber. Most suffer from fleet yaw variability, some more than others. Newer versions are more prone to deeper penetration before yawing due to the smaller opening in the nose.

Having said that- SMK's don't scare me and I would have little issue using them again depending on the caliber/cartridge. Penetration has never been an issue, and exits typically are around 3-5 inches with the .308 168, 175, 190, and 220gr versions.

As for the TMK's- they were designed for a reason and bonding wasn't one. Despite the misunderstanding of those that believe everything should be bonded, mono, or offer extremely deep penetration with the bullet looking like an ad afterwards, the TMK offers superb wounding characteristics and is an excellent open air bullet.

Formil;

Do you know if the military is going to load these in a new version of MK262??? Are they designed to expand? Are they battlefield legal against uniformed combatants?

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
It would be interesting to see how the tip would change the results, time will tell.

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Formil;

Do you know if the military is going to load these in a new version of MK262??? Are they designed to expand? Are they battlefield legal against uniformed combatants?

They are designed to address SMK's fleet yaw variability. Wound channels are similar to similar weight AMAX's.... In other words excellent for deer sized big game.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Formil;

They are designed to address SMK's fleet yaw variability. Wound channels are similar to similar weight AMAX's.... In other words excellent for deer sized big game.

If they will have the terminal effect of an A-Max then they are worth trying. In my 308 5R I have never seen better results on broadside Deer than with the 178 A-Max.

Last edited by Nomosendero2; 12/24/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fotis
Yeah but the 190 ABLR can be used for hunting without any worries.

Fotis sometimes your Nosler cheer leader act gets old. It is a thread about a Sierra bullet. Start new thread to cheer the ABLR.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well I apologize if I upsetted you.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nomosendero2
It would be interesting to see how the tip would change the results, time will tell.

How? in BC? expansion or which way do you mean?

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah but if it acted like a 190 ABLR on game I would be without any worries.

Intelligent to say like your quote Fotis?

Go ahead an beat your Nosler drum, nobody including me won't say they don't make an awesome product. In fact one I am having a hard time purchasing.
It just gets old hearing the drum pound, i will just put it on ignore so i dont have to hear it. Even the bonded remark was a Nosler reference coming from you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ok sorry if I have upsetted you.

μολὼν λαβέ

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Nomosendero2

How? in BC? expansion or which way do you mean?

The BC#'s have been given if accurate.
In predictable expansion, I was in reference to the chart you showed, I have a copy of that one I have kept over the years, hopefully the tip will give a more reliable/consistent expansion in Deer sized game, as I have said before the 178 A-Max is amazing at 308 velocities at least on broadside Deer shots for as far as I choose to shoot Deer with a 308.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey that would be great if it benefits the bullet's consistency.

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ok sorry if I have upsetted you.

Yeah Fotis! Quit ruining Christmas! Gosh.....

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Off with my head! LOL

And seasons Greetings to all!

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mclevela
Yeah but if it acted like a 190 ABLR on game I would be without any worries.

Intelligent to say like your quote Fotis?

Go ahead an beat your Nosler drum, nobody including me won't say they don't make an awesome product. In fact one I am having a hard time purchasing.
It just gets old hearing the drum pound, i will just put it on ignore so i dont have to hear it. Even the bonded remark was a Nosler reference coming from you.

LOL, sensitive.....

Gerry.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yeah, no need to get upset over a company like Sierra whose products are inferior, imho.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bear:

I would not classify them as inferior. It is just that they are stuck in 1950's technology of cup and core. This then limits their use by shooters who use magnums or high velocity rifles.
I do use them for varmints and targets but that is where it ends. For instance I would never use any sierra bullet in my 30-378 for hunting.

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Building a 308 to hunt with now and will definitely try the tipped matchking. Sierra does not put out inferior products. To me they produce the most consistent bullets out there. What they are for are the average hunter shooting medium sized big game. I'd say they are just as good as any bullet maker at creating a product for killing these sized animals. Their matchkings are to target shooting as the partition is to big game hunting. They do lack the product needed by magnum shooters shooting larger big game and excessive speed cartridges (bonded bullets). However I've shot tons of deer with magnums pushing there bullets with complete success.

I laugh when folks complain bc the Sierra caused to much damage on their game animal.

O
O
Match kings are not hunting bullets. They are not designed to expand. The tipped match kings are also not designed to expand. They may be fine for varmints but should not be used on medium or large game. They are excellent bullets but if you use them to hunt deer it is not ethical and not legal in most states.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So I'm assuming you can post a link or something as to them being illegal in most states to use for hunting?.

I just raised my bull [bleep] flag and I don't use Sierra bullets for hunting....

Last edited by CLB; 02/08/15.
O
O
https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/2275/308-dia-175-gr-HPBT-MatchKing
Although they are recognized around the world for record-setting accuracy, MatchKing bullets are not recommended for hunting.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 18 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.