Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,474 of 1,842 1 2 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1841 1842
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Man...

Sorry to read about more heart ache for our friends of the deer camp. Life is a cruel thing sometimes...

My prayers go out to all of you.

I made it back from Upper Red Lake. All in all we had a great weekend. A good buddy of mine needed this trip. I won't go into details but he really needed to get away. We had a lot of heart to heart talks while waiting for bobbers to go down. The poor guy is just a mess and I feel so bad for him. frown

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Joking?

Very simple.

If you are fascinated or even slightly interested in fine mechanical craftsmanship.

If you are even somewhat intrigued by nastalgia.

Then you might like to have a savage 99.
This coming from a guy that drags around one of those hideous 88's!

88's are actually bad ass. I'd love one. I did pick up a s/w model 63, 22lr. and it shoots fantastic. I love it and can't wait to carry it in the woods.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I also got the kids' new rifle on paper. Ruger AmericanCompact .223rem. It makes tiny groups with those tiny bullets. What a riot to shoot. I'd like an adult sized one. Maybe time to get a Kimber 84m Montana?

Last edited by tzone; 02/09/15.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Maybe time to get a Kimbet 84m Montana?

Get two and store one at my house! lol

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
He likes Beretta's...he doesn't know what you speak of. grin

B-man, they're made in the day when the craftsman and labor type folks took pride in what they built. As the evidence show's that they're still around to this day, many over 100 years old. If they were even taken care of a little bit, they're typically in fine working order and the bluing is wore like it should be, with that perfect patina, the brass rotary magazine shows wear but not enough to function poorly. The hardwood stock has a few dings and maybe even the famous crack on the tang...probably repaired 53 years ago.

When you grab one with a few nicks in the wood, and bluing wore off the barrel and receiver in certain areas you wonder of the stories it tells, and the shoulders the worn leather sling has been on.

The campfires it's been by...the deer it's shot and more interestingly, the one's it's missed.

Has it been in the CO mountains on a frosty October morning listening to the herd bull bugle up his harem?

Has it seen a snowy November morning in the Adirondacks with a fat forked-horn buck sneaking through the spruce with his nose to the ground?

Would it tell you about the chik-a-dee that landed on its front site while it was held perfectly still at sunrise on the PA deer opener because leaves crunched on the hillside below?

What could it tell us about when it was in the rack of a MN deer camp with the cigar filled room with the smell of whiskey and Birch wood smoke?

That story right there makes me want to buy one and sit in the garage with the heat on and ponder everything you talked about.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You won't be sorry if you get a .223 Montana.....

Then you will want to give a fast twist 22-250 or 220 Swift a try. It is addicting and deer don't like them!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do any of our Minnesota boys hunt down by Whitewater? One of my hunting buddies is moving down to Rochester and we're thinking about checking out Whitewater for deer. From what I've heard, yo need to learn to speak Hmong and wear a bullet proof vest. Any truth to these stories from down there?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well have you ever heard of anyone getting shot? Nope. So I think you can save your money on the vest. You won't need to learn a different language. They know what you're saying...even if they don't act like it. smile

That's where the deer in MN seem to be so it you'll probably find some that way. I'm not sure if that's shotgun country or not?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
In Whitewater or surrounding state land in southeast MN there is a large abundance of Hmong,that hunt down there. I have bowhunted down in that area while i was going to school.Nothing real positive to report when there small game hunting.Maybe its better when there deer hunting?

Whitewater is a big area with some scouting and getting off the beaten path.Hunt during the week if season dates allows.It is shotgun down there.

I'll call my buddy who lives in St.Charles and ask him if its gotten any better.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks to all of the well wishers. We spent three full days at the hospital. The sister in law's children from Cheyenne, Wyoming made it here safely. We had only seen them less than a month ago when their dad died. Today at 2:09 my sister in law passed. Her husband died three weeks and two days ago.
My wife just lost her youngest sister last September.
We have had enough losses in the last six months. I refuse to participate in any more for a reasonable amount of time.
Again, thanks for all the prayers and well wishes from the extended family here.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
So sorry Stan....

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Very very sorry Stan. We will continue to pray for your family!
Tom

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
so sorry to hear that Stan. prayers for you and your family.

we made it home last night just before midnight so we could beat the ice storm moving across the dakotas. was great seeing family I haven't seen in 15 years or more. didn't check the thread til now. thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So very sorry Stan.

Praying for peace for you & your family.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Very sorry Stan. Tell your wife that she is in our prayers as well as you and all of your family.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I'd like to get a 300 Savage in any bolt configuration. 788 Rem. would be sweet.
. I might be able to hook you up with a 700 Classic in 300 Savage

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool! How does it shoot? I had one as well. I bought it from Gander and my wife was with me and didn't yell. That's when she was cool. grin The rifle and the wife are both things of the past. I wish I still had one of them back in the gun safe. I'll let you decide which one. laugh

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
It shoots great. My wife has killed 3 bears with it. I am definitely guessing you want the gun in the safe grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
here's a classic 300 sav in the classifieds. decent price too

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/9588275/gonew/1/WTS:Savage_99EG_300_w/Redfield#UNREAD

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Very sorry, Stan.

Something clever here.

Page 1,474 of 1,842 1 2 1472 1473 1474 1475 1476 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.