Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I realize there is a food forum section but I wasn't sure enough Alaskans read it.

My daughters and I have had some very good fishing luck on our trips to SE Alaska. We love the salmon but we're kind of in a recipe rut.

Maple, sugar/sugar-chili rubs, smoked, panko-crusted are our stand-by recipes at this time. Leftover in a salmon salad (like tuna salad) is one of my favorites.

Any local favorites from the natives?

Thanks

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
When I get burnt on my stand-by salmon recipes, salmon patties get me though. (wife makes them)

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thaw a filet and slice the skin off. Pluck the pin bones out and cut it into serving sized pieces.

Melt a quarter stick of butter in a big wok and when it's hot lay the fish in searing one side. Cook until it's almost done and remove the fish from the wok. Put a handful of chopped garlic, a diced onion, and a bunch of sugar snap peas in the butter in the wok and cook until it's all done but crisp and not overcooked. Add the salmon back in and pour bulgolgi sauce over all of it, I like Ronnie's brand but I'm certain others would be just as good. Put a lid on it and let it simmer for about 3-5 minutes to heat the sauce and finish cooking everything.

Stir and spoon a serving of salmon along with your prefered amount of peas and sauce over a bed of white rice. Quick, simple, and easy. My wife goes bananas for it and I don't think we've had salmon for supper any other way since I came up with this recipe about a year ago.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Cut a fillet into chicken finger sized portions. Mix crushed captain crunch cereal with granulated garlic and lemon pepper. Dip salmon strips in milk then breading mix and pan fry in olive oil.

The sweet/savory taste really good together. My kids love this recipe!

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I cook fillets skin on. I fillet, wash in a lemon juice or vinegar solution, rinse with cold water, dry with paper towel then season. I season with whatever is around but garlic and onion are a standard. I place on a hot grill hot enough to hear the scales of the skin crackling. I the drop the lid and cook to whatever level you like. Some like it translucent in the middle which is not a bad place to remove the fish from the grill. Resting will complete the cooking. I like my salmon a tad more done. When I remove the fish from the grill I slide the spatula between the skin and the fish. I leave the skin on the grill till it cools. Some like the skin but I keep it for my dogs who wait patiently for the skin. The quality of your fish begins with the treatment of the fish when it comes out of the water. I bleed and put on ice asap. Calvin is an authority on this and his comments heeded will improve the quality of your dinner.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I pan sear mine and serve with a homemade hollandaise sauce. Quick, easy, and very good.

Try it...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A really simple change-up is to take a whole side (filet), cut off the tail section where the pin bones end, cut the back section off above the pin bones, cut off the strip where the pin bones are (and discard, and then cut the three boneless sections you now have into fat "fingers'. Marinade these 'fingers' in Mr. Yoshida's teriyaki marinade sauce for 20 minutes or so. Then lay them close together -not touching- skin-side down on a metal baking sheet (oiled). Broil on high and close until the edges of the fish just begin to brown. Cooking time is around 10 minutes give or take; you have to watch them close. The metal sheet conducts heat up through to cook them underneath- not turning necessary.

My family enjoys bright chums this way. Silvers work as too, as I'm sure sockeyes would as well.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Salmon with Fennel, Bell Pepper, and Olives
1 navel orange
1 large bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced, 1/4 cup fronds reserved
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 skinless salmon fillets (4 to 6 ounces each)
Salt and pepper
1/3 cup pitted black olives, quartered

1. Heat broiler, with rack 8 inches from heat. Grate 1 tablespoon orange zest, then cut orange into wedges. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss together orange zest and wedges, fennel, bell pepper, and oil and arrange in an even layer. Add salmon and season vegetables and salmon with salt and pepper. Broil until vegetables are browned in spots and salmon is opaque throughout, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with olives and fennel fronds to serve.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Another...

Quinoa-Avocado Salmon Salad
• ⅔ cup quinoa
• 2 fillets salmon
• 1 pint grape tomatoes
• ¼ cup cilantro
• ½ bunch scallions
• ½ red onion
• 2 limes
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 avocado
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 cup water
• kosher salt
• black pepper
1. Cook Quinoa
Rinse quinoa under cold water using a fine mesh strainer. Place quinoa, 1 cup water, and a pinch salt in a medium pot over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until water has evaporated and quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat, cover, and set aside.

2. Sear Salmon
Rinse salmon and pat dry with paper towel. Season on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium nonstick pan over medium heat. When oil is shimmering, add salmon. Sear until browned on outside and slightly opaque, about 5 minutes per side.

3. Prepare Ingredients
Meanwhile, wash tomatoes, cilantro, and scallions. Halve tomatoes and finely chop cilantro and scallions. Peel red onion and mince.

4. Prepare Quinoa Salad
Juice 1½ limes into a large bowl. Add halved tomatoes, chopped cilantro and scallions, minced onion, 1-tablespoon olive oil, and apple cider vinegar. Toss to combine. Stir in cooked quinoa. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.

5. Prepare Avocado
Halve avocado and discard pit. Using a spoon, carefully scoop out flesh and discard skin. Cut into thin slices. Squeeze over remaining half lime and season with salt and pepper.

6. Plated Salad
Flake salmon with a fork. Divide quinoa evenly between two bowls. Top with avocado and salmon and serve.

[Linked Image]

Pistachio-Crusted Salmon
Makes: 6 servings
Preparation time: about 30 minutes
6 salmon fillets (sized to serve 1 each)
¼ cup (50 mL) maple syrup
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
½ cup (125 mL) chopped shelled pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
2. Line a baking sheet or rimmed, low-sided baking dish with foil, and spray with oil, or parchment paper.
Place fillets on the pan.
3. In a small bowl, stir together maple syrup, and Dijon mustard. Spoon half the maple
mixture over the fillets. Sprinkle pistachios over the fillets. Spoon remaining maple mixture over nuts.
4. Bake in centre of preheated oven for about 15 to 25 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fillets) or
until fish flakes easily at its thickest point.

[Linked Image]

Awesome with fennel, date salad.

Cucumber-Date Salad:

2 English (hothouse) seedless cucumbers, peeled and cut into 8 pieces
3/4 cup finely sliced fennel, feathery fronds reserved for the garnish
6 Medjool dates, pitted and cut in slivers
1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1/2 a large lemon)
6 tablespoons fruity olive oil (preferably from Spain)
Medium-coarse sea salt (preferably Maldon from England)
Fresh ground black pepper

Prepare the salad: Roll the cucumber pieces up in a clean linen napkin or towel, and then smash them, pressing down hard with the heels of your hands while ensuring the towel doesn't unroll, to release the juices. Transfer the crushed cucumbers to a cutting board, and then coarsely chop. Combine the cucumbers, sliced fennel, dates, walnuts, chives and some of the fennel fronds in a salad bowl and mix gently.

Meanwhile, dress the cucumber salad with the lemon juice and 4 tablespoons of fruity olive oil. Then season with sea salt and pepper. Toss the salad lightly, and then arrange equal portions on each of six plates. Top each portion of salad with a grilled salmon fillet. Drizzle a little fruity olive oil on top of each portion, garnish each plate with fennel fronds and serve.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my wife makes salmon Olympia, just like halibut Olympia, except it's a much better tasting fish

me I just put the filets skin side down, smear em in butter and salt & pepper, then sprinkle dill or tarragon on them

damnit I gotta go get some reds outa the freezer, just ate a bait of porkchops and now you guys got me craving salmon!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
-Cedar plank from Fred Meyer (around $5.00 for two)
-Charcoal BBQ grill (salmon cooks fast, so don't light too many charcoals)
-Soak the plank in clean water for about one hour (put something heavy on top to immerse the whole plank)

When the charcoal is nice and hot, move them toward the center underneath the grill. Pull the plank out of the water and place a fillet skin down in the center of the plank, but don't place it on the grill now.

Sprinkle a little lemon juice and rub it on the fillet, then sprinkle a little of extra virgin olive oil over the fillet. Now is the time to sprinkle any spices you like, but I use a little Mrs. Dash seasoning, and a little lemon pepper instead of salt. Then cover the fillet with about 1/4" thick of your favorite mayonnaise low-salt, and place the plank in the middle of the grill. (keep in mind that mayonnaise already has salt in it, so don't overdue it with lemon pepper or other salts).

Every few seconds or so watch the plank to make sure it does not catch on fire, or just spray a few droplets of water on the edges of the plank if it gets too hot. Just keep the lid down so the smoke from the cedar plank gets on the salmon. Should take perhaps 10 minutes to cook.

Once done, lift the fillet from the plank as the skin is left behind on the plank, and remove the plank from the grill. It's only good for one time use. Serve the salmon with potatoes of your liking (mashed or not), and a fruit salad.
----------

By the way, when using a cedar plank you can cover or rub the fillet with your favorite spices. It does not have to be mayonnaise nor the spices I have listed. Most of the good flavor will come from the plank; the rest is up to you.

Last edited by Ray; 02/09/15.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lots of great ideas here,like Calvin I also make a lot of salmon patties.I also cut a fillet in sections and boil them with onions and serve at breakfast with sourdough pancakes.
When you fillet Salmon Theres always some bits of meat left on the backbone,if I don't smoke the backbone I cut those small pieces off,roll them in flour,salt and pepper,fry quick and serve with eggs. The kids called them Fish flits.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Skinned, seasoned w/ salt, black pepper, garlic powder. Blacken in a hot CI skillet. Don't overcook.

Skin on w/ same seasonings and grilled skin-side down. Don't flip.

I could eat 90% of our salmon thataway.

On occasion, I'll season w/ garlic powder, a thin shmear of mayo and top w/ parm and bread crumbs. Bake until done. Broil the last few minutes to crisp bread crumbs.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
1 whole fillet with the skin on
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 onion
pepper to taste

Place the fillet on a cutting board skin side down, with a sharp knife,score diagonal lines about halfway thru the fillet.
Place the fillet on a sheet of aluminum foil skin side down.
Curl the edges of the foil to create a bowl shape.
Cover fillet with soy sauce, layer onions across the top, pepper to taste.
Cover with another sheet of foil and wrap it all together.
Place on a hot grill for about 10 minutes on each side.
Fish is done when it flakes apart.

We fight not for glory,nor for wealth,nor honor but only and alone we fight for freedom which no good man surrenders but with his life.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Boy I'd love to have some of Calvin's fried salmon patties buy alas there are no salmon in Texas. powdr

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm a somewhat inspired, (at times), but otherwise lazy cook, and guilty of falling into a meal fixing rut. If it's too cold out for me to grill, I just oil a glass dish, drop the salmon in skin down, make small slices through the flesh, and season to my own tastes, lemon pepper mostly. Foil it, give it a bit, uncover, give it a bit, suppers on. I don't like cluttering up the natural flavor, but I don't have the opportunity to eat it nearly as much as some. Thanks all, some good recipes to try.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by maggie
If it's too cold out for me to grill,...

Don't know what that means. Can you translate to Engrish please?

smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

smile

-60. wink

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by LostArra
I realize there is a food forum section but I wasn't sure enough Alaskans read it.

My daughters and I have had some very good fishing luck on our trips to SE Alaska. We love the salmon but we're kind of in a recipe rut.

Maple, sugar/sugar-chili rubs, smoked, panko-crusted are our stand-by recipes at this time. Leftover in a salmon salad (like tuna salad) is one of my favorites.

Any local favorites from the natives?

Thanks

1. Pull wriggling fish out of net.
2. Drive back to fishcamp.
3. Cut off head, remove guts, save head, stomach and rear fin.
4. Cut steaks or fillets, put on grill over fire, cook, then eat.
5. Boil up some stomachs and eat with seal oil.
6. Boil up some fins and eat with seal oil.
7. Let mom bury heads in ground with blood and guts to cover. After two weeks, dig up, rinse and eat. Yummmmmm.

Those are mine.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by powdr
Boy I'd love to have some of Calvin's fried salmon patties buy alas there are no salmon in Texas. powdr

H-E-B

smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by ironbender

smile

-60. wink

I have a magnetic heater for the propane tank. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (22250rem, 1badf350, 160user, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 204guy, 44 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,231
Posts18,504,371
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.