Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
http://jalopnik.com/darpa-hacks-gms-onstar-to-remote-control-a-chevrolet-i-1684593523

In an effort to show the Auto Industry has not enacted sufficient data security, DARPA hacks into OnStar and takes control of a GM's throttle, brakes, and other items.

Could you imagine what a juicy target this would be for a terrorist organization? Or just some a-hole hackers!

There's two edges to technology.

GB1

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Curious as to how it can control the brakes and throttle. Unless the new car has actuators on the brake pedal or master cylinder and also on the throttle body, I just don't see how it can be done.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Index
Curious as to how it can control the brakes and throttle. Unless the new car has actuators on the brake pedal or master cylinder and also on the throttle body, I just don't see how it can be done.

Throttle is fly by wire...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
http://jalopnik.com/darpa-hacks-gms-onstar-to-remote-control-a-chevrolet-i-1684593523

In an effort to show the Auto Industry has not enacted sufficient data security, DARPA hacks into OnStar and takes control of a GM's throttle, brakes, and other items.

Could you imagine what a juicy target this would be for a terrorist organization? Or just some a-hole hackers!

There's two edges to technology.
Would make it easy for the established powers that be to off dissidents, too. Surprising, therefore, that DARPA, of all organizations, would have been behind publicizing it.

Last edited by The_Real_Hawkeye; 02/10/15.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

Yep.

Likely the brakes can be accessed through the ABS/traction control system.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and today's generation seems absolutely comfortable with industry's blue tooth enabled monitoring. There was some discussion this AM on the new high end voice/motion commanded TV's. Fine print mentions default settings that enable audio and visual monitoring. One must read that fine print and opt out. The default should be "off" and one should have to opt "in." BIG BROTHER is here.

Nearly every type of wireless system out there can be hacked. I see our now generation jumping onto the implanted radio frequency id chips so they can simply wave a hand to gain entry, use the Xerox machine, or pay for a cup of coffee. Soooo convenient. Anyone with a reader can pass nearby, copy that data, and have open access to any of their haunts or accounts.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/10/15.

1Minute
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I

So there is an actuator on the throttle body.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Originally Posted by horse1

Yep.

Which means that they can be released or manipulated individually, but not applied, as that takes pedal pressure, right?

I'm just trying to understand how many favors modern car designers are doing us consumers.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good reason to find a rebuilt a mid '70s pick-up.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by horse1

Yep.

Which means that they can be released or manipulated individually, but not applied, as that takes pedal pressure, right?

I'm just trying to understand how many favors modern car designers are doing us consumers.

You can tell the computer to ignore the pedals and control the functions remotely.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I knew there was a reason i liked my 63 and 71 cars.

The only thing in them is the radio. grin

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And they know every place the car has been and how fast it was going at tany time it was moving.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The data they have is absolutely astounding. Really scary how much we're tracked.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cruise control, ABS, traction control, locks, windows, in dash nav and phone link.......................

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Still waiting for our resident conspiracy paranoics to explain steering.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Soon, all vehicles will be required to have on-board navigation and communications and you'll have usage-based gasoline taxes, licensing, registration, and insurance.

Any pushback will be squashed with the argument that driving is not a right, it's a privilege.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
GM = Gov't Motors. Any questions? wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Still waiting for our resident conspiracy paranoics to explain steering.

Umm, they're working on steer-by-wire in the auto industry. It's already in use in industrial applications. wink

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
GM = Gov't Motors. Any questions? wink

'Yoder uses throttle by wire...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
throttle by wire, stability control and traction control does apply brakes to work. These auto trannies that are pushbutton or knob, no mechanical lever, could be hacked. Applying the brakes is not a big deal. How about full throttle, abs override brakes, you cant put transmission into neutral, and don't forget about the cars with electric power steering. My 93 Dodge Cummins can be push started and, with the electric fuel shutoff disabled, does not need ANY electric to run. P

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,477
Posts18,529,614
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.