Print Thread
Hop To
M
MOA Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Does anyone else have this bug crawling on them, not the HS bug but the WSM?

As many have shot down the 17WSM since her introduction I tend to disagree. Savage attempted to ruin the cartridge with BMAG but have not succeeded. its a great cartridge. Still waiting of lead free as I live in the peoples republic of KA.

Ruger has their "prototype" which is bound to be introduced at the the NRA show and high ups at Ruger said so but I am not waiting.

My rimfires Never get cleaned but annually and I am not about to grab a Franklin upper. VQ has Completely dropped the ball on their offering and the company has all but ripped off the customers who put down deposits at SHOT '14. This is Very surprising from a company like VQ as they have been in the business for Years and should realize they are a "specialty co" and can't pull stunts without a boycott which is what I have done--Never buy a VQ again myself. The prototype at SHOT 14 probably Never shot--no pun intended.

2.5k is a lot to spend on a rimfire but the lightweight version of the HS is just what I want. I called HS to get specific details and left left a message last week for Josh to call me back Tuesday (he was out of state) and he failed to call, or the message wasn't passed on--this is discouraging as Nobody "in house" last week could tell me anything about this rifle. I don't want to put down a deposit on this thing until I get firm details, and a Written agreement to refund money if delivery dates aren't met. Nobody expected for VQ to drop the ball but I imagine it's much easier to chamber it is a non-blowback bolt action.

The VQ depositee's were ripped off and I am not about to jump in their boat. Has anyone put down a deposit on a HS? I want a 5.5# truck gun and this is the ticked for my usage as long as she's twisted in 1/8--the BMAG F-up was because they twisted 1/9. If HS is as Flaky as VQ why not just wait for the Ruger, supposedly coming this spring?

I'm sure many of you want something other than a BMAG -- What are you guys doing? I'm willing to pay 2.5K but don't want to end up making a deposit like many VQ folks did, waiting 18 months. The shot video quotes 6 months from HS.

Thoughts??

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Get Em boy! Yea I'm curious as to who else has had contact with HS precision in regards to this matter?

M
MOA Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Yep--

These Manufacturers best realize that the gun addict community is tight and $hit flies on the net. The video put out by Varminter.com was legit praising the rifle but WTF are they gonna act like a real company and take take of business...

HS better update thier site and realize that they have a "golden period" to capture customers with their 2.5k rifle before CZ and others start chambering it for 1/4 the price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For that kind of money you can get a Cooper or a NULA and no run-around.

The WSM looks interesting, but is still kind of iffy. A centerfire like a .221, Hornet, or .17 Hornet will do everything the WSM will do and once you lay in some brass, won't leave you dangling because there's no ammo.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm waiting for a quality 17 WSM. When I see one, if I like it, I will buy it. I'm not putting a deposit on anything.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
17 WSM will never make it unless the major gun makers other than Savage start producing rifles for this round,

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a full on 17 cal nut, I love the 17 wsm. I was an early adopter for the poorly executed BMAG, and everytime I shoot it I'm not sure if its going to fire...but in spite of all of it the cartridge is very effective on little critters.

I've shot many p-dogs, ground squirrels, rabbits, coons, and yes even 3 coyotes with it. It works for my intended targets well. I wouldn't suggest it to be a go-to coyote rifle but when its all you have at the right moment- then pull the trigger...and make sure you have the next bullet not far behind the first one.

I was enticed by the franklin arms f-17l, until I actually held one. That thing is a boat anchor...granted a very well built one. I'd own one if it was half the cost. $1800 is a bit too much for it.

I will be one of the first to buy a ruger in 17 wsm. I'd also be interested in a CZ version of it.

With all of that said- if you're looking to spend a lot of money on a 17 cal go with the 17 hornet suggestion. Cooper would be a good choice. NULA even better.

In 17 hornet I have owned a cz, 2 of the savage 25's, and finally settled on the ruger 77/17. That cartridge is simply a great round. Uses very little powder, similar ballistic curve to 223, and once you get the brass it actually is on par if not even slightly cheaper than buying factory 17wsm cartridges. Not to mention you can really dial in some consistency if you reload the 17 hornet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The rifle as a whole has me very interested. As I understand, it's essentially a 40X repeater that everyone has been looking for. That said, I'd love to see one in a 22lr sporter version.

I'm still not completely sold on the round though. I'd like to see some other rifles come out and really test the American Eagle and Hornady ammunition to see if the round is really consistent enough to be a long range contender.

The one thing I'm not particularly impressed with is the lack of information out there right now. For crying out loud, they haven't even updated their website since 2013!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger had a m77/17 wsm at the shot. I will definitely be purchasing one when come available. The article I read and pictures I saw were just like 17 hornet predator. Target grey with the green laminate stock. Here is the link to one of the articles.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/19/ruger-m7717-hawkeye-prototype-17-wsm/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,428
Posts18,507,499
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.