Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree, most of Cabela's used firearms are significantly overpriced, at least it seems that way to me. They had several Marlin 336s, none were particularly special, but all were priced over $500. Heck, they even had a Glenfield 30A priced over $500.

I occasionally buy used firearms from Cabela's, but find myself buying more new firearms from them when they are discounted below small dealer wholesale.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No doubt some of the really good stuff is competitively priced. Mostly it seems as if run of the mill older firearms are priced excessive. Example: Model 12 16ga that had some blue left but also adorned with rubbed out rust spots all over the receiver. Selling point was it came with the box. It would have taken a Smithsonian restoration to get it out of the store and home without it falling apart. Can't remember the exact asking price, something like $1200. Beat to hell standard Model 70''s in .30-06 $1400. Well used 94's in common clamberings, pushing $1000.

Last edited by battue; 06/12/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My favorite "example" of pricing vs condition at Cabela's, was the M94 in 30-30 priced above $500, that I handled a few years ago. Nothing exceptional about it, probably late 50s vintage.

It had substantial surface rust on it. Not a little, almost every metal part had "easily rubbed-off" surface rust. Hardly any original finish left under the surface rust.

My question, WTH wouldn't someone have at least given it a rubdown with an oily rag, before putting it in the used gun rack?? Any small gunshop would've done so before putting it out for sale.

But then none of the small shops I frequent, would've had the cajones to put a $500+ tag on it, either.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was in a Cabellas and looked at the square footage and the amount of biz. I asked the employees how the place could stay in business. The consistent answer was gun sales carry the whole store.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If they also own the land the adjacent restaurants, motels and gas stations sit on then there is more money coming in than what they sell inside. I'm betting if they can get it, they do. They also make money on their catalogs and flyers. You pay to have your products listed.

Last edited by battue; 06/13/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
academy had bricks of fancy wooden boxed win .22lr for 32.95 yesterday

didn't say what grain, what coating, what velocity on it anywhere

thought about getting one or 12 to scalp to old fuggers during the next ammo shortage
hahahahaaa!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stopped in a small town gun shop today, they had a good supply of 22lr.

When I asked the price I realized why, .20/ rd. eek

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saw several I believe it was Winchester or federal pack of 333 for right at $24.00 on the shelf in a rural hardware store. Walmart locally still has none here unless you get there when it hits. Cabela's here has a fairly regular amount but doesn't last long. I did buy some at local Academy Sports opening but haven't been back to see if they had stock.

I've seen plenty of bulk packs at area gun shows, mostly over priced.

Last edited by southwind; 06/15/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dubePA
Did see a few M95 Winchesters in there on one trip. Don't recall the prices, but one was in 7x57, looked like it had been strapped on a mule and left out in the rain for months, but it was still well out of my price range.

A Winchester 1895 in 7x57? Wow, that is a rare one!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Scored three, 325 packs of Federal at Dick's on Sunday. No lines like usual.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dick's must have gotten a truck load of those Federal 325 packs. I have picked up 4 boxes over the last few days. No real bargain at 19.99 for 325 - but something to shoot.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by centershot
Dick's must have gotten a truck load of those Federal 325 packs. I have picked up 4 boxes over the last few days. No real bargain at 19.99 for 325 - but something to shoot.

no real bargain unless you compare it to the 40.00 a 325 box that i have seen some folks try to sell it at and even succeed. i would buy a couple of those at 19.99

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I agree, 6 cents a round isn't bad for Automatch !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Automatch was around $18 a box at Wally's before the silliness started, so that isn't all that bad of a price.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've found the dicks automatch too while buying shotgun shells. I suspect they limit how many they put out at any time, but its nice to find something.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the last few weeks, there has been quite a lot of rimfire ammo available here. 17HMR is and has been in stock for quite some time. Ditto for 17WSM. 22WMR is usually on the shelves, particularly the Hornady 30gr., but I did scarf a brick of Remington Accutip a couple weeks ago. In 22LR, lately I've bought Winchester 40gr. Power Points, and the new 42 gr. Power Points, CCI MiniMags. among others. There is quite a lot of other varieties available, including Federal AutoMatch, which I didn't buy. I also grabbed one of those Remington Bucket of Bullets yesterday. grin Seems to me the 22LR shortage is coming to a close.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good to hear about the Power Points showing up! Haven't seen any here yet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remember to spay or neuter your democrat friends wink

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Someone opened the 22 rimfire vault.

I was in Cableas at 6pm tonight and they had cases upon cases of 22 rimfire. CCI, auto match, tac, thunder turds, Eley and more.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 06/17/15.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
little hole in the wall shop in Clarksville
never open except for on Saturdays
drove by it on the way up to fort Campbell to get some smokes
place was open
stopped in
bout shyt my pants!!!!!!
dude had about 80 different types of .22 ammo
mark up on most of his stuff was in the 1 dollar to 3 dollar range
dude had cci small game bullet for 6.99 a box
and with cci making very limited runs of it god knows when
I have called them up numerous times asking about their production of the sgb and distribution of it and they just plain ole said they make very limited runs of it once or twice a year
it actutally was pulled from their line up for 5-6 years at one point in the late 90,s and early 2000,s
but they realized it was a round that had demand and it matched the 40 gr stinger velocity wise and they advertise it as a pair of "mated rounds" somehow
I don't see how
stingers are spray and pray ammo in my rifle and the sgb will make a ragged 1/2-5/8ths inch hole with 10 shots at 50 yds for me
I didn't hesitate to buy some
talked to him for a long while
retired vietnam vet
knows a lot of people that I do in the area
gave the guy my ph #
it was a $1.13 more than midsouth at $5.86 who never has none anyways
been on their notify list for a long time
same with midway
1st I have seen since july of 2014
got 5 boxes
got 2 boxes of federal hv match .22 for 8.99 which was expensive compared to under $5.00 a box on a bunch of websites when they have it which is usually never.. but then ya gotta take into account shipping also and I have always wanted to try the stuff out but have never been able to find it anywhere

going up to the guys place on Saturday when he is open gonna trade him 1for1 for 3 boxes of norma match-22 (which I can get anytime)for 3 boxes of the cci sgb and cash value for what I got 5 boxes of American eagle at $15.24 for 2 boxes of cci sgb
the guy says only 1 other person has bought any sgb from him and he has 26 boxes of it still
also thinking about what he might give for a box of 3.5 in #5 12 ga win longbeard
im thinking 2 boxes of cci sgb
leave some meat on the bone for the guy on everything I geuss
he was selling the 38 gr am eagle stuff for 5.99 also
im gonna buy 2 boxes a week after this trading with him on Saturday until I get most of it in my stash

the guy called me up on Tuesday and said he would be happy to trade anytime after our conversations on Monday and he was thinking about what we was saying the day prior
then he told me that dicks had ammo and he would do cash value trade for the cci sgb on what I bought if I went over their
he said that sgb aint one of great moving rounds cause no one knows about it except me and this 1 other person

all I gotta do is write down the dope on my scope from the norma match 22(very accurate in my rifle) and the fed hv match 22(if that shows itself to be an accurate round) and the cci sgb which I already know is a very accurate hard hitting round in my rifle
and I really don't give a fugg about him marking up a dollar or 2
im just glad to have found some cci small game bullet in the united states since last july finally

Last edited by renegade50; 06/18/15.
Page 15 of 19 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.