Jim Sonia Best way to Fenway!!!
February 11 at 8:14pm · Like · 1

Andrew King That's me on the right
February 11 at 8:20pm · Unlike · 3

Rich Ritter Hahha....
February 11 at 8:22pm · Like

Andrew King
February 11 at 8:23pm · Like · 1

Alfred Donovan The number of times I rolled those dice!!!
Inbound was was much stewier!!
February 11 at 8:25pm · Like · 1

Alfred Donovan Looking again, I always stood on the coupling.
February 11 at 8:27pm · Unlike · 2

Rich Ritter Same here Alfred Donovan....I never stood on that edging before. ....
February 11 at 8:30pm · Like

Juan Miguel Avila I once saw 5 guys with a bike in tow T hopping. 3 at a time was common place for sure. I used to hop the T even going outbound when it was free!
February 11 at 8:30pm · Like · 1

Rich Ritter Climbed in the window a few times too...
February 11 at 8:30pm · Like
Alfred Donovan On the other hand, 60 mph heading outbound was....
February 11 at 8:31pm · Like · 1

Rich Ritter Ya 1 bump and those guys are rolling down the tracks..
February 11 at 8:32pm · Like

Juan Miguel Avila Once I was hopping from Reservoir to Longwood at night alone and I gave some BU Student the "tug on the string" gesture so it would stop and she totally freaked out and told the T driver who stopped the train.
February 11 at 8:35pm · Like · 3

Rich Ritter Hahaha....
February 11 at 8:36pm · Like

Juan Miguel Avila Anyone ever pull the "no hands" maneuver? That was another fun one to pull on riders.
February 11 at 8:37pm · Like · 1

Rich Ritter Oh ya!!!
February 11 at 8:38pm · Like

Mark Young Michael Kennedy comes to mind...walking out of the tunnel from Kenmore to St. Mary's St freaked a lot of people out too!
February 11 at 8:40pm · Like · 2

Kelly Gollobin Rich Ritter, I'm shocked you rode the back. Heh heh
February 11 at 8:51pm · Like · 1

Rich Ritter Hahaha...
February 11 at 8:57pm · Like

Sarah Rosenfeld-Mahoney Aren't they on the free side?
February 11 at 9:00pm · Like · 1

Rich Ritter No inbound right behind the High School Sarah....
February 11 at 9:07pm · Unlike · 2

Edward Edub Differ No doubt. Was holding on to a wiper one day, snapped off.
February 11 at 9:12pm · Like · 1

Sarah Rosenfeld-Mahoney Not if that's the UA building or the pool on the right side of that train they are going towards beaconsfield which would have been free back then
February 11 at 9:14pm · Edited · Like

Irena Deych Fine oh boy brings back memories
February 11 at 9:13pm · Like

Tucker Robinson Amazing we're alive !!
February 11 at 9:15pm · Like

Rich Ritter It's not Sarah...that is the other side...the picture was taken from the High School side...they are right before Brookline Village train stop..
February 11 at 9:15pm · Unlike · 3

Dennis Radley Great picture how did we survive?
February 11 at 10:15pm · Like · 2

Rick Grundstrom I remember the post one night and my boy Miley K bouncing down the tracks when we had to abandon ship because A head popped up in the rear facing canright after leaving Longwood station. 40 miles an hour and 300 lbs bouncing down the tracks on nice soft rocks, does not leave a Picasso in the end'
February 11 at 11:38pm · Unlike · 5

Dennis Radley Rick he always got up!
February 11 at 11:55pm · Unlike · 3

Rich Ritter I remember that story Rick Grundstrom
Yesterday at 12:03am · Like · 1

Glenn Calvert I miss Bev Scott already!!! she is awesome on gbh public radio!
22 hrs · Like · 1

David Green HA! When I left Brookline I think the most we had was 9 kids and a bmx bike. We would also open the window to the rear conductor's compt and turn on the windshield wipers. Hitting the big red emergency stop button made it exciting. Going underground into Kenmore sq was fun. Especially when another train came up behind us and called ahead. MBTA cops couldnt run as fast as a 13 year old. Thanks for the memories Rich Ritter
18 hrs · Unlike · 2

Seth Miller Yup.Scotty Gil on fb?? His tumble was a night to remember...
15 hrs · Unlike · 3

Jean Kelley omg they look like my kids!!!!!!
10 hrs · Like

Michael Forde How do you think I got that metal plate in my head? Haha
8 hrs · Unlike · 2

Rich Ritter Scotty Gil isn't on Facebook. ...but I remember his tumble. ..
1 hr · Edited · Unlike · 2

Tommy Glover First time I was with Tommy Sutherland and I puked my brains out mid-ride.
6 hrs · Like · 1

Monica Pomeroy Johansen Yup.
5 hrs · Like · 1

Leighton N. Honda I hear that one dark and stormy night, 12 conscious and 1 unconscious ruffians rode from Cleveland Circle to the Village, with four of said ruffians keeping John Langdon's carcass attached to the merry mob supported only by arm power. IOW, his feet dangled the entire ride, with him out like a light from start to the point we were forced to all jump and drop him like a sack of yams. I mean THEY were forced. I heard about it from someone. I was at home studying trig or something that night... And yes, I said *THIRTEEN*.
1 hr · Like · 3

Rich Ritter Ya boy!!!....13 is it!!...I remember that story too...
1 hr · Unlike · 1

Leighton N. Honda It was an all time record, I'm quite sure. This with none cheating by climbing in through the windows, either.
1 hr · Like · 1

Rich Ritter Frigin cheaters!!!
1 hr · Unlike · 1

Leighton N. Honda No doubt. For a long time I thought it was just a rumor that some hoppers were tossed a curve ball by an evil conductor hip to the hangers-on, when the primary safety hopper-handles (AKA windshield wipers) were turned on. That myth was smashed on more than a few subsequent rides. Pretty sporty, those rides. For those thinking, "how do you know it was done intentionally": I suppose they could've been co-inky-dinks, but generally speaking, wipers on the trailing/arse end of the train don't get activated by the train operator, particularly on cloudless, hot summer nights...
1 hr · Like · 1

Rich Ritter What would happen is Gerard Coleman would open the conductors window and crawl inside. Then HE would screw with us and put the wipers on!!
1 hr · Unlike · 1

Leighton N. Honda Holy shyt. Memory trigger. Kissing up to the conductor in case we had T cops/other waiting for us a couple stations ahead. Sneaky bastid. The fun rides always started when the last train or the next to last headed inbound. If few to no passengers were either requesting a stop or no one was at the platform waiting to get on, all you'd get would be an almost imperceptible reduction in speed. Your best shot in those instances would be to A., hang on until Kenmore and be forced to hump it back, or B., to jump, with feet pedaling to beat the band before hitting the tracks. Most times, of course, you'd end up like a fuggin' yard sale, rolling and flopping with bottle, smokes, hat, shoe and whatever flying, as you try to scan for Johnny Law at the same time... Good times. Man, to be young,
1 hr · Edited · Like · 1

Rich Ritter Or if by chance someone was sitting in the back of the train, you would signal to them to pull the cord so it would stop at your destination train station
1 hr · Unlike · 1

Leighton N. Honda Lucky SOB. Never had that happen. But then I always tried to hide my face. "It's not what you know: it's what you can PROVE!"
1 hr · Like · 1

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If you're gonna do this - unless you don't care to have feet, don't stand on the coupling.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by FreeMe

If you're gonna do this - unless you don't care to have feet, don't stand on the coupling.

Almost all of us did. The D/Reservoir trains couplings we hopped on always moved horizontally on turns, with a little vertical bounce, but they were always unattached. IOW, we weren't riding a coupled link between cars. Always on the back, 'male' end. Losing a foot was certainly possible, but not as a result of getting pinched/wrenched off.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That looks like fun KG, I was a country boy the trains that passed by us were moving way to fast to hop, although I did make pipe bombs stick'm in my front pockets and go fish'n.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 12344mag
That looks like fun KG, I was a country boy the trains that passed by us were moving way to fast to hop, although I did make pipe bombs stick'm in my front pockets and go fish'n.

Quarter sticks of dynamite taped to used spark plugs.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Quarter sticks of dynamite taped to used spark plugs.

Lures by DuPont!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A suicide race off the side of a mountain sounds a lot more fun at the top than it does half way down with the horses on the bare edge of control and fighting to keep from rolling. Once was enough.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Beating on a 22 shell with a claw hammer on a tree stump till it went off.
LOUD!
That is one thing, by no means not the only.

Last edited by wabigoon; 02/13/15.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ain't telling , not sure the statute of limitations is up even after all these years.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Didnt have a car while in college, but the train was 1/2 block away. Use to hop the freight cars for a ride into town and then back to the dorm.

Carbide, black powder, smokeless powder, and dupont fishing all work, just some better than others.

Climb in girlfriends window at night, parents in adjoining room.

Drive without headlights, at night.

Drive without brakes, day and night.

Ride bulls/steers- broke ribs caused me to rethink that career.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Wanted to see how straight up I could shoot an arrow....nuff said...

Homemade pyrotechnics.....nuff said.

Taping firecrackers to records and throwing like a frisbee....nuff said, but you've got to say it into my 'good' ear....

I could go on, but Rick doesn't have the necessary bandwidth....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd be pecking at this keyboard the rest of my life!
INfamous Mark quote - "HE-- YEAH! I can ride it!"

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pyrotechnic and Carbide fishing,riding the rods on trains, hitching a tow on a bike from a bus or truck, driving the John Deere to town, setting off M-80's in mail boxes or garbage cans (that lid would fly!)....... and many more.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

Taping firecrackers to records and throwing like a frisbee....nuff said, but you've got to say it into my 'good' ear....

Ours involved holes in windfall green apples… pretty loud when the fuse burned fast on the windup………..awesome midairs when they cooperated how
ever!

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My uncle had all kinds of these little steel cased blasting caps,and me,and my cousins couldn't figure how to get them to go off so we threw some in a old coffee cup and poured in a little gas and took it behind the garage and lit it ,Well it went off alright,and blowed that cup all to hell .It was a hillbilly hand grenade

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tornado chasing by bicycles. Well, hell, we were too young to drive man.

A pasttiem we called "Nazi" (no idea why, today should be called ISIS) which meant dressing head to toe in black, toting black plastic uzi squirt guns, and trying to infiltrate and cross the backyards of suburban city blocks undetected at night. Just for the thrill of the sneak; we had no interest in theft or harming anything. Would get us killed today am afraid, but as pre-teens you don't worry about such stuff.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Good stuff. A few above had me chuckling with remembrance. Dumbasses, the lot of us, but we knew how to have fun!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Daisy BB gun battles with my two younger brothers, just SOP for West Virginia kids in those days..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm pretty sure I did America's first bungee jump in the 60's, after seeing some primitives do it in National Geographic. It worked really well too, except for the hanging from a tree with one of those skinny water hoses tied around my ankles for a couple of hours.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
my dad also wondered what happened to his gunpowder

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (38HBWC, 35, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 9 invisible), 2,109 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,025
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.