Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Today at 10:30 A.M. I shot and retrieved my first Gopher of the year (elevation 5,200') .
It was also the contest winner for "First Gopher of the year" at my local sport shop.
The unseasonably warm weather here abouts (new record "high" low temperature set last night at 39 degrees - old record high low was 35 degrees!) has brought the Ground Squirrels out early this year.
This is by far the earliest (February 13th) I can recall shooting a Gopher, at this elevation anyway.
Its on boys!
Particulars were: an 80 yard shot with a Ruger 77/17 V/T in 17 HMR caliber using a Weaver V-16 scope and Hornady 17 grain ammunition.
First shot was a complete miss (buck fever?) but the second shot was DRT.
My entry into the contest beat the second place winner by less than 30 minutes.
Money will go to buying more ammo.
Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable Colony Varmint season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Go Pats!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Today at 10:30 A.M. I shot and retrieved my first Gopher of the year (elevation 5,200') .
It was also the contest winner for "First Gopher of the year" at my local sport shop.
The unseasonably warm weather here abouts (new record "high" low temperature set last night at 39 degrees - old record high low was 35 degrees!) has brought the Ground Squirrels out early this year.
This is by far the earliest (February 13th) I can recall shooting a Gopher, at this elevation anyway.
Its on boys!
Particulars were: an 80 yard shot with a Ruger 77/17 V/T in 17 HMR caliber using a Weaver V-16 scope and Hornady 17 grain ammunition.
First shot was a complete miss (buck fever?) but the second shot was DRT.
My entry into the contest beat the second place winner by less than 30 minutes.
Money will go to buying more ammo.
Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable Colony Varmint season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

No, no, no, no VarmintGuy.

You did a whole lot of schit talking before the Super Bowl. You don't get to pass GO and collect $200.00 buddy.

You take your ass topside and own the fact your team got their asses beat before you go talkin' gophers.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You used a .17. Are you all out of .22LRs?

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We only have our first gopher confirmed sighting so far...no confirmed kills...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Haven't seen one here yet, but we a almost 7000 feet.. Been checking every day.

VG spend your bucks wisely, nice job.

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
NO gopher until we talk football. Unbelievable.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
DeFlave: Yes, yes, yes TRAVIS - I will do exactly as "I" please!
Your inflated ego MAY think you have enough standing to be "chief justice" and influence others conduct but that, in fact, is not so!
I indeed DID post here that the New England Patriots "WOULD KNOW THEY HAD BEEN IN A FIGHT COME THE END OF THE SUPER-BOWL GAME" and that "THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS WOULD NOT BE BEATING THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS BY 38 POINTS (like they beat the Colts by in the previous playoff game!)" - I stand by both of those CORRECT and prudent comments!
For YOU to describe the Seahawks narrow, last second loss as getting their "asses beaten" in this past Super-Bowl is simply IGNORANT - they lost fair and square, but an "ass beating" - well I would describe that comment of yours as ridiculous (deflave like?)!
And if you had any sense of decency you would tone down your over-inflated ego and delusions of grandeur!
You, nor anyone else on this forum, can, has or will dictate what I say or do!
Make NO mistake about that little buddy!
I am and I will talk Gophers or anything else I choose, regardless of your immature and erroneous musings.
By the way I shot a couple more Gophers yesterday with one of my 22 rimfires (if you don't mind?)!
GO HAWKS!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Inwe: Yesterday, Saturday the 14th, I made a 320 trek from Dillon to Wisdom to Hamilton to Missoula to Drummond and then back to Dillon and saw exactly five Ground Squirrel in my travels.
I did see everything else including Moose, Elk, Deer, Antelope Coyotes and a Fox though.
I thought with the warmth in Missoula (60 degrees) I would see lots of them but that was not the case.
Back to my original point I thinks its unusually early for even those few Gophers to be up and about.
Did find a great Ruger Target Mark III (stainless in Hamilton) though and a cool pair of Bausch & Lomb Zephyr binoculars (pawn shop in Deer Lodge) though for my troubles.
Come on Gophers!
I do opine that "Snowpers" will be a real rarirty here in SW due to the lack of normal snowfall this year.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
WyoCoyoteHunter: Thanks for the advice and observations.
Some on this forum could learn a lesson from your informative, upbeat and MATURE postings (deflave!)!
The Gophers will be along soon down your way - I am sure.
By the way I found NO Gopher useable 22 rimfire ammunition (perky hollow-point stuff) in my recent 320 mile journey around SW Montana.
I take that back, one store had CCI hollowpoints but at a premium and I passed on those few boxes and the Sportsmans Warehouse in Missoula had two boxes of 22 ammo but the guy and gal in front of me bought them before I got close enough to identify them.
I stopped at 12 places or so but no luck.
I am seeing more and more subsonic and roundnose 22 ammo though.
Maybe things will perk up?
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JFC, you are a complete idiot.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
VarmintGuy

Very exciting. Everybody's just as thrilled as you are. Also just as proud of you as you are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Your inflated ego............

And if you had any sense of decency you would tone down your over-inflated ego and delusions of grandeur!

VarmintGuy

Here it is.........inflated ego, delusions of grandeur. Delusions of self-importance.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Your inflated ego MAY think you have enough standing to be "chief justice" and influence others conduct but that, in fact, is not so!
I indeed DID post here that the New England Patriots "WOULD KNOW THEY HAD BEEN IN A FIGHT COME THE END OF THE SUPER-BOWL GAME" and that "THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS WOULD NOT BE BEATING THE SEATTLE SEAHAWKS BY 38 POINTS (like they beat the Colts by in the previous playoff game!)" - I stand by both of those CORRECT and prudent comments!
For YOU to describe the Seahawks narrow, last second loss as getting their "asses beaten" in this past Super-Bowl is simply IGNORANT - they lost fair and square, but an "ass beating" - well I would describe that comment of yours as ridiculous (deflave like?)!
I am and I will talk Gophers or anything else I choose, regardless of your immature and erroneous musings.
By the way I shot a couple more Gophers yesterday with one of my 22 rimfires (if you don't mind?)!
GO HAWKS!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You will post what the [bleep] I tell you to post!

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You are mental -

- Greg

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
GO HAWKS!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

This post is awesome.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
GO HAWKS!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You will post what the [bleep] I tell you to post!

Travis

Boom! TFF!!!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For some reason, I get the distinct impression, that if a guy was to talk face to face with VG for more than about a minute, you'd come away thinking that he is a strange SOB....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A minute?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I knew he was mental 6 years ago in his 17 HMR rants -

Guy is a complete idiot -

- Greg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 219DW, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,711
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.