Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The mistake was made by reporting it. They'll probably burn him to the full extent of the law. Keep us posted if possible.

NRA Range Technical Team Advisor-Retired
Nra Endowment member
TSRA member
NRA F-class Master
NRA Pistol Coach-Retired
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
With all the rabid wolf huggers trying to get all the publicity they can drum up, I think they will raise all hell over it being shot. I sure hope the best for him, being up front and honest about it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2168022-155/wolf-killed-in-utah-in-december

Just in. It is the same wolf as the one in the Grand Canyon

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by fishnut
http://www.sltrib.com/home/2168022-155/wolf-killed-in-utah-in-december

Just in. It is the same wolf as the one in the Grand Canyon

You mean Echo? It had a name. Surely these antis won't work that to their advantage for sympathy. mad

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
the last echo poor echo heard was the echo of a rifle shot

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
So, you have a coyote bounty program in order to protect the mule deer but they are re-introducing wolves. Sounds like sound government practices going on out west.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
The only moving wolves are doing from Wy to UT is in game department trucks. Bet on it.

While wolves are capable of doing it, certainly makes me cast a narrow eye at F&G.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Ken_L
So, you have a coyote bounty program in order to protect the mule deer but they are re-introducing wolves. Sounds like sound government practices going on out west.

Where was it said that Utah is introducing wolves?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No, but unofficially.......? Or was it a covert relocation conspiracy?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

I never said Utah was... but Utah is paying for culling coyotes as the wolf is being protected their. Seems very counter productive to me.

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I do not think it is that simple. There are no known breeding population of wolves in Utah. They are considered endangered and thereby protected. Just the same as a 'skunk ape' is protected in Florida...nothing tangible to it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

I never said Utah was... but Utah is paying for culling coyotes as the wolf is being protected their. Seems very counter productive to me.

Need to make the distinction between state managed coyotes and wolves protected under federal law. Although Utah could have a statute protecting wolves also.

Too bad, because this is going to put pressure on the Utah's bounty program. I just wish the hunter could have been smart enough to make the distinction between a coyote and a wolf.

I'm thinking if somebody can't make that distinction, can he tell the diff between a deer and a elk?.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It would appear from pics that the wolf had a collar on.

I'm not defending the wolf reintroduction stuff a bit. I am a bit puzzled as to how a coyote hunter mistakes an animal at least three times the size of a western coyote, and wearing a collar, for a coyote.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
This wolf was sick or something and only around 70lbs from one report I read. It was also harassing the cattle. It needed to go...I don't think this is a case of mistaken ID, but simply some hunters doing the right thing.

Wolves continue to pass through and perhaps live in Utah. A small three-year old female, weighing 70 pounds

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2014/12/29/female-wolf-shot-near-beaver-utah/

Last edited by Pahntr760; 02/12/15.
S
S
Interesting comments on this thread.

No, Utah law does not give the Gray Wolf protection by any statute or decree, like that of California where the State Wildlife Commission gave the wolf State ESA protection. Except for a small north-east portion of Utah, the Gray Wolf is under federal ESA protection, as it is in many other western states. In that north-east section, the wolf has been delisted and it's management falls under Utah jurisdiction.

In 2010, the Utah Legislature directed the Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) to prevent any packs of wolves from establishing within the delisted portion of Utah (S.B. 36, Wolf Management Act). The law also directs the DWR to request that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) immediately remove any wolves discovered in areas of Utah where they are still listed under the Endangered Species Act. When wolves are delisted statewide, the Utah Wolf Management Plan will be fully implemented. For now, Utah only has authority to manage wolves in the delisted area. To comply with S.B. 36, the DWR will prevent wolves from becoming established in this portion of the state.

As to the shooter reporting to authorities what had happened, good for him, he is a stand up individual and knew fully well what may or may not transpire having done so. I hope the feds take all the information into careful consideration and the outcome is fair and just for him.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Stillhunterman
Interesting comments on this thread.

No, Utah law does not give the Gray Wolf protection by any statute or decree, like that of California where the State Wildlife Commission gave the wolf State ESA protection. Except for a small north-east portion of Utah, the Gray Wolf is under federal ESA protection, as it is in many other western states. In that north-east section, the wolf has been delisted and it's management falls under Utah jurisdiction.

In 2010, the Utah Legislature directed the Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) to prevent any packs of wolves from establishing within the delisted portion of Utah (S.B. 36, Wolf Management Act). The law also directs the DWR to request that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) immediately remove any wolves discovered in areas of Utah where they are still listed under the Endangered Species Act. When wolves are delisted statewide, the Utah Wolf Management Plan will be fully implemented. For now, Utah only has authority to manage wolves in the delisted area. To comply with S.B. 36, the DWR will prevent wolves from becoming established in this portion of the state.

As to the shooter reporting to authorities what had happened, good for him, he is a stand up individual and knew fully well what may or may not transpire having done so. I hope the feds take all the information into careful consideration and the outcome is fair and just for him.

Stillhunterman

Loc: The Rockies

Welcome to the Fire

Interesting to see that after nearly a year since joining the group here at the Campfire, that you have suddenly found something to respond to .
Indeed you have lived up to your namesake.

Last edited by nitrosonic; 02/13/15.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
S
S
Thanks? nitrosonic. Yes, it has been a long time since I signed up. Kinda got lost in a couple other forums and left this one and a couple others go by the wayside unfortunately. Sometimes, life just gets in the way...

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I edited my ? lol
I researched your organization and thought the ? was out of place.
I do agree with your appraisal of the shooters actions; he is the one responsible for his integrity and conscience.
He alone is the one who has to live with himself in the future.
I would be tempted to cover it up ,due to the repecussions which will be forthcoming, but I am not He.
In the future he may have second thoughts about his honesty, but I doubt it.

S
S
Agreed.

As to the organization (UWC), i was one of the founding board members and it was a very difficult undertaking, but worth all the headaches and sleepless nights. I've since left the org and have moved on to new endeavors, with a focus on Mule Deer and their decline. I'll have a new signature line soon... ;-)

Last edited by Stillhunterman; 02/13/15.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Stillhunterman, you have a PM
in case you are not familiar,you can access PM's next to the "Forum List" by clicking the "My Stuff" icon

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (117LBS, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 46 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,920
Posts18,518,786
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.