Hop To
Page 26 of 63 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 62 63
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
ihookem: Nice Wisconsin buck and good to see the retro photo of your uncle with the mule deer. Nice buck! wink I notice that big bucks also tend to be long!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
akbob: Hey...... the moose is cheating! smile That's a good bull. You don't generally get those out in one piece!

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TheKid
That's not fair, I can see your wheeler right next to that bull. You didn't even have to pack him.

Nice blacktails further up BTW. Hunting Kodiak for those bucks is some of my favorite deer hunting and I try to go every year.

[Linked Image]

Big antique Forkie my Mrs shot on Kodiak in 2013.

Kid: That's a wonderful, chunky blacktail on Kodiak! Never been there but I bet that's a great hunt!

Two other things stand out...a wood/blue rifle in coastal Alaska? How did you manage to kill anything? whistle

And best of all a lovely lady makes the whole scene complete! Congrats all the way around! wink smile

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bob. That rifle is not only wood and blued, it's a 270!!! I built that rifle for her as a Christmas present the year before we were married. The stock is claro with a rosewood tip, the last blank I had Ed Shulin turn for me before he passed, think I payed him $40 for the blank and $60 to turn it. He covered shipping, he was a good one. The barrel is a Douglas that I got at a bargain price because it was a #5 .277. I turned it to match a Shilen #1 and finished it at 22". In my hurry to have it ready for the inevitable post Christmas range trip I put the only scope I had around on it, a Leupold 1-4 Shotgun with a heavy, and I mean heavy, duplex. She shot it like that and refuses to have any other scope or reticle. She's used it on deer and bear so far so I guess I'm not going to argue with her since all have been one shot kills.

She shot the buck with a 130 hornady and Jack's load of 4831, he fell as if he'd been struck by a bolt from above. I was right beside her and had to talk her out of shooting the smaller buck that was with him. Probably should have let her knock him over but you know who was doing the dressing and dragging.

For the trip the picture is from we gave the rifles a quick coat of Johnson's paste wax and had zero problems with rust after 5 days hunting. Though I'll admit it didn't rain much that trip.

If you ever get the chance to hunt Kodiak do it. We go as often as we can and always have a great time. It is truly a special place.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kid: Nicely done! wink

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just thought of another picture to post. It has been posted here before.
this was taken at the end of the season at my families Northern Saskatchewan bush camp, during one of the years that we could take two either sex deer each. These bucks are from the efforts of four of us over a week. We aren't really trophy hunters, so we were not being very fussy, just taking the first decent mature buck that comes along. I miss those days, a series of hard winters has really reduced our deer herd. Looking forward to the comeback!
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

Originally Posted by TheKid
That's not fair, I can see your wheeler right next to that bull. You didn't even have to pack him.

Nice blacktails further up BTW. Hunting Kodiak for those bucks is some of my favorite deer hunting and I try to go every year.

[Linked Image]
Big antique Forkie my Mrs shot on Kodiak in 2013.

Kid, haha. The rule always was the wheelers never moved unless you shot something, then they were only used for retrieval which was interesting at times! Trust me, we had to pack a few, especially down in a burn we called "The Bullpen."

Really nice BT BTW! Wifey's smile says it all!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
akbob: Hey...... the moose is cheating! smile That's a good bull. You don't generally get those out in one piece!

I most definitely cheated, but with the intent to keep this cool thread moving! I'll take the penalty of enduring the viewing of more BIG deer. Grin.

BTW, the moose always end up in big pieces and the guts stay with the carcass. It's the only way to get those big buggers out!

Last edited by Akbob5; 02/14/15.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
western plains in Oklahoma

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Awesome pictures folks! Some ginormous deer on here. Love to look at them.

Here is my 10 y/o daughters first deer/buck from this past Fall. Wouldn't have mattered if it was 170", it was one of my best days in the woods.

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here is the best buck I have gotten on trail cam here in Va.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sorry, no monster muleys, but they are mine...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My best buck with a bow

[Linked Image]

Here is my old Marine buddies Idaho buck

[img]http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww233/beretzs/HUNTING/IMGP7906.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww233/beretzs/HUNTING/IMGP7910.jpg[/img]

Keep the pictures coming. Pretty darned motivating...

Semper Fi
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scotty outstanding! Course we all know you can hunt! smile

Good grief that VA buck is ridiculous shocked Is he still around and alive to hunt?

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
castnblast: Saskatchewan is unreal...I hunted there during the two deer years. What can you say about bucks like those!

Numbers will rebound up there.I guess they always do....it's all a cycle.

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
rick: SUPER mule deer buck! I guess parts of Oklahoma are sleeper mule deer country. I drove up through there from Amarillo on the way to hunt Lamar, Colorado and my buddy from there said Oklahoma has some very good mule deer hunting.

Do you still hunt there each year?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My uncle works for OK dept of wildlife, has for a long time. He helped get the mulies that were planted in western OK back in the day. He trapped a bunch of RioGrande turkey and the traded them for mulies to the Wyoming dept of wildlife. I have never seen any bug bucks in OK but I did try to stick a spike with my bow out on our ranch about 75 miles east of the supposed mule deer range and my cousin missed a forkie with his muzzleloader one fall. I knew the one I was after was a mulie having hunted them before but my cousin was flabbergasted when the one he missed started bouncing when he took off!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Beretzs,
Hunting is its own reward.
Enjoy your family, that is the ultimate reward.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I killed a few mule deer bucks just north of the town of Knowles, OK near the Cimmarron River.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have never killed a mule deer around Knowles several big whitetails over the years. My wife Inherited a farm North of Knowles several years ago never hunted it yet.

Bob we don't have many "Good" mule deer. I was Born and raised in that part of the world. All my family are scattered from Woodaward to Boise City

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I notice that big bucks also tend to be long!

Very true. That's a main difference I notice between southern deer and ones from the Midwest. A mature northern deer's body resembles that of a horse.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Scotty outstanding! Course we all know you can hunt! smile

Good grief that VA buck is ridiculous shocked Is he still around and alive to hunt?

Haven't caught him on a trail cam in a couple of years now. I tried to hunt that SOB for three years during the archery season. Like you mentioned before, he just slipped into the ground, unnoticed..

I looked at any picture I could find of deer taken and never saw him, or ever found his horns.. Hopefully he passed along some genes...

Semper Fi
Page 26 of 63 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.