-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And one day you will not have schools because there are no bombers to keep them safe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Story told at his farm in Gettysburg: At semi-formal dinner they had at the farm the conservation turned to "Mr. President what did you do today"? His reply was "worked at the barn hauling manure". At that, a guest whispered to Mamie "Couldn't you get him to say fertilizer" her reply was " It took me thirty years to get him to say manure"

I always thought that that was Harry and Bess.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Like would be an understatement..

[Linked Image]

Things have damn sure changed since that era!! THAT....was back when you had to be registered as a friggin DEMOCRAT to cast a vote in Louisiana!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
George C. Marshall thought he was pretty sharp....made him SAC of all forces! MacArthur said...."Eisenhower was the best orderly I ever had!" Me thinks that bit of 'crow' was hard for MacArthur to swallow after all was said and done!!

Last edited by RMulhern; 02/15/15.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by denton
Paraphrasing as nearly as I can remember:

Some of you feel pride when you see one our bombers pass overhead. You ought to shed a tear. Every bomber that is made is a school that was not built. The future of this country is in schools, not in bombers. In the final sense, every weapon of war that is built represents a theft from people who are hungry and not fed.

Just possibly whomever came through with that comment needs to re-torque their thinking!! If it wasn't for bombs, bombers, rifles, and a whole helluva lot of dead GIs....whomever wouldn't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of!! mad mad

Last edited by RMulhern; 02/15/15.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Denton was paraphrasing an Eisenhower quote. Ike's words,not his.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I would like to think Ike knew one end of a shovel from the other, that attribute might be lacking in our present day politicians.
Most couldn't pick a shovel out of a tool line up.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the sound bite crowd, I suggest you sit down and take a read of the text of the speech. It hits on a great many useful topics and the much quoted line about the military industrial complex is more about big business in general, it's just that the military business was quite large then. He also give them credit for many advances that improve life.

Ike's speech

If I were to pick something out that is interesting to discuss that is current I'd suggest that this quote,

"Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific technological elite."

could be applied to the "global anthropomorphic climate change" that is driving so much of the political agenda.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a whole, Eisenhower did a fine job as President, and was the right man at the right place and Time for ETO in world war two! It was major league work to keep the Allies together, sure there were some mistakes made along the way- Operation Market Garden comes to mind- problems of supply and transport, German subs were operational and a threat from Sept 1,1939 to May 6, 1945 when Adm Doenitz surrendered and ordered them to stand down! As for the Military Industrial Complex business, from his view point yes there was some validity to that- seeing how when I was a young 2nd Lt. The standing army of the day was pretty much and undermined under equipped constabulary, lucky for us that the both world wars afforded us the time to build up and get things going, it cost a lot and not just money! After the Second War the draw down was so low that when we got blindsided by Korea we had major problem for a time, some would say to this very day- only a cease fire , that war is not over! On a wider field Eisenhower was a master at disinformation, kept the Soviets in check and it time that real threat would disappear with out a shot fired pretty much considering the sort of things we and the soviets had at our disposal then! The Industrial Military complex as he put it was the right tool at the right time, there was no World War III, yea we got this Muslim Jihad thing that has been going on for the last 1400 years dealing with that is nothing compared to dealing with the likes of the Last World War! And our only problems with the current mess is the problems we make for ourselves - we are not as ruthless as Eisenhower really was!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Eisenhower, like Reagan later, had a wealth of experience.

We dearly need people like them, not pretty hairdos.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Funny how almost every state on that map was a different color for the last election. And just how many have been consistently a different color for a decade or so.

When I was a kid and Ike was in, that map was why everything was good, except for where it was red....i.e KKK, race problems. That red has spread to all the big cities and we now have different but similar problems today. We sure have dummied down since those days.

"By the time you realize your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by jnyork
If you had ever driven across country before the interstate system was built, you would like Ike a LOT!!

don't know about that... many a times I got my kicks on Route 66

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.