Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Beautiful

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Here are some 99 Savage killed deer. A late season shed buck with a .22 HiPower, went right down. One with a .358 Featherweight, went right down. A nice sized doe with a 30-30, hit both lungs. This deer trotted farther than any deer I ever hit in what people call "The vitals". Guess we should leave the 30-30's at home.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Those are what I would call "typical" deer. A pretty nice 7 point(or 8 if I had killed him laugh ), a doe, and the other buck would likely be a 4 or 6 point had he not shed....hard to say. He does not look to me to be as big as the 7 point.

Folks, take a good look at them. Note how NARROW the chest area is on all of them....I'd say it is about a foot maybe on the biggest one. All who have dressed and skinned a deer know that there is not much tissue covering the vitals. The ribs are puny,no meat to speak of on them, and the hide is about as thick as shoe leather. Is it even remotely logical to believe that a high powered 22 with a controlled expansion bullet can't punch a hole through them? It is little more than shooting a milk jug full of water.

I can see the need for a bigger caliber/cartridge if you intend to shoot them up the butt and if you only see a couple of deer per season I suppose there is a need for that. But point being, on a broadside shot if you look at the animal and how it is constructed it is easy to see how anything from a pointed stick flung by a 45lb recurve bow to an elephant rifle can kill one of these animals.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My .222

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
GP, that .22 HP is really cool and I like that you hunt deer with it. I'd love to have one for deer myself. That 71 grain bullet sure wasn't designed for woodchucks! Great gun, how do you get ammo?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I reload mostly. Sellier&Bellot sells it new and markets it under the metric designation: 5.6x52R. As far as I know, Hornady is the only outfit making the .228 bullets to reload with. Norma makes empty brass and had started making .303 Savage brass too. You can form it from some other brass too, but I never have.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Very nice pair of 99's.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DumbassDon,

Exactly how many deer have you killed in the past decade? Ranges, angles, and details? Exactly how many shots did you pass up on legal deer during that time period?

Methinks, as usual, you are completely full of schit, speaking without experience or knowledge, and basically out of your league when discussing actual hunting.

Prove me wrong (you can't).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In the woods I like my Remington 722 in .300 Savage.....

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by 4ager
DumbassDon,

Exactly how many deer have you killed in the past decade? Ranges, angles, and details? Exactly how many shots did you pass up on legal deer during that time period?

Methinks, as usual, you are completely full of schit, speaking without experience or knowledge, and basically out of your league when discussing actual hunting.

Prove me wrong (you can't).
I asked Savage_99 about his experience with the MRC M 1999,still waiting for an answer and that was about a month ago. So,don't hold your breath.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At least Swarf came back on and tried to defend his opinions. Where's Don?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by moosemike
At least Swarf came back on and tried to defend his opinions. Where's Don?

He probably has us all on ignore.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yes Mike. The "Pittsburg Machinegun." If I remember correctly these are at their best with see-through mounts, and any cheap scope.

These are also the people that cannot bring enough alcohol to camp to stay at least partly well plastered for a few days straight, and are what we called "ticket fillers." Their motto is, "we have six licenses, so we should shoot six deer. What's the difference who shoots them?" Hence the machine gun term.

My father started hunting over in PA before WW2. He started taking me over there when I was about 14. As family changes took place we sold our last place in Elk County. When my father started taking me we were lucky we had money for gas, and often slept in the car Friday night to hunt Saturday. I saw my first bear in the woods about then. During deer season. It made my entire hunting season. I never hunted bear over there, but I always enjoyed seeing them, and just getting to observe them in their element.

I am not anthropomorphic. But, when I harvest game it is in a legal season and allotted, and I do think that I owe it a good and unexpected death without suffering, and not the inevitable decline of old age, starvation, and suffering.

This is the last place were I should think that someone who has had the opportunity to knock around Alaska for a year or so should be belittled and remanded for wanting to buy another rifle... It's not necessarily what you are doing, but also what you want to do next.

Do you really need a big excuse to want another rifle? Maybe some of you people should just go out and buy a chicken and choke it to eat.

If my being somewhat educated, well read, and well informed is offensive to you, and having formed opinions. Shame on you. I pride myself on having learned, grown, and changed many of my opinions since I was 14. I still try to do that. Science has changed its opinions on many things since I was 14. It seems a sad state of affairs in the world today that many have only become more simplistically hysterical and only look for evidence to buttress there views - like a bad scientist, or a poor historian.

I have gotten to the age and stage in life where when sometimes, someone says something I often say, "Maybe I'll get hit by the "Big Truck" by then." They often respond, "But you might not die!" My response is always a surprised look and, "Don't you understand the term BIG?"

We should all be happy to be our game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by swarf
Yes Mike. The "Pittsburg Machinegun." If I remember correctly these are at their best with see-through mounts, and any cheap scope.

These are also the people that cannot bring enough alcohol to camp to stay at least partly well plastered for a few days straight, and are what we called "ticket fillers." Their motto is, "we have six licenses, so we should shoot six deer. What's the difference who shoots them?" Hence the machine gun term.

My father started hunting over in PA before WW2. He started taking me over there when I was about 14. As family changes took place we sold our last place in Elk County. When my father started taking me we were lucky we had money for gas, and often slept in the car Friday night to hunt Saturday. I saw my first bear in the woods about then. During deer season. It made my entire hunting season. I never hunted bear over there, but I always enjoyed seeing them, and just getting to observe them in their element.

I am not anthropomorphic. But, when I harvest game it is in a legal season and allotted, and I do think that I owe it a good and unexpected death without suffering, and not the inevitable decline of old age, starvation, and suffering.

This is the last place were I should think that someone who has had the opportunity to knock around Alaska for a year or so should be belittled and remanded for wanting to buy another rifle... It's not necessarily what you are doing, but also what you want to do next.

Do you really need a big excuse to want another rifle? Maybe some of you people should just go out and buy a chicken and choke it to eat.

If my being somewhat educated, well read, and well informed is offensive to you, and having formed opinions. Shame on you. I pride myself on having learned, grown, and changed many of my opinions since I was 14. I still try to do that. Science has changed its opinions on many things since I was 14. It seems a sad state of affairs in the world today that many have only become more simplistically hysterical and only look for evidence to buttress there views - like a bad scientist, or a poor historian.

I have gotten to the age and stage in life where when sometimes, someone says something I often say, "Maybe I'll get hit by the "Big Truck" by then." They often respond, "But you might not die!" My response is always a surprised look and, "Don't you understand the term BIG?"

That's an extraordinarily rambling response to no one in particular and without any coherent point at all. Would you care to try again?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Well, let's see. My attack on slob hunters and a lack of judgment has turned into an attack on even God.

Well, more people have been killed in the name of God than any other single thing, and it seems they still are doing just that. I am 67 years old, and have known many professed Christians whose Christianity has only been an asset to them, and they still have been a detriment to society...as long as they followed the pro-forma "they" where alright.

Knowledge does not grow on trees, and many people are incapable of good judgment through a long life.

I never implied that that a 6mm with appropriate bullets was not an adequate deer rifle. There are appropriate bullets, and there are appropriate effective ranges limits for every cartridge combination.

I live in a developed area and state. There is little public land. When I ask a land owner if I may hunt groundhogs on his property with my 221 Fireball, or 22-250 with lightly constructed bullets many now say, "no way!" This is because the last idiot that he permitted on his property had his AR and assaulted a charging, fast firing, 200 yard distant groundhog by bracketing it with a barrage of at least 6-8 rounds. Many times these are the "cheapest" from Walmart, or wherever. The landowner then says, "all of those bullets go somewhere...." Next year up go "No Hunting" signs.

I have done most of my deer hunting in PA. Shots can be close, or over a power line. The record black bear is in excess of 600 pounds. I think that last year three were taken that were over 500 pounds.

I have taken my last few deer in PA with a patched round ball, and a traditional flintlock muzzle loader. The last year I hunted I didn't take a deer. Everything that I could get close to was so small that it wasn't worth getting my hands dirty.

By the way, I do have a niece custom 358 Win, and I do hope to take a deer with it and my own home cast bullet, and I'd call that a 100 yard or less project.

I try to be an ethical person, I try to exercise good judgment, I try not to be a hypocrite. When I hunt I am usually an outsider. I travel a distance, spend money, and attempt to give my self, my game, and all around me, a quality experience with their exposure too me. I want to be welcomed back, able to come back, and at least be a pleasant memory, if I never get back.

I want to appreciate my game, my companions, and my environment. I feel that I'm lucky to have all of them.

If this "my" attitude pees in someone's campfire because my attitude offends you - too bad. It should in some cases.

I advise you to drink more before you post in the future.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
when I harvest game it is in a legal season and allotted, and I do think that I owe it a good and unexpected death without suffering, and not the inevitable decline of old age, starvation, and suffering.

Says the guy that wishes slow, cancerous deaths on people that use the .223 for deer.

Too [bleep]' funny...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Well, from the view finder of a born and raised ridge runner from Pa I can say this: you sir have an ego of epic proportions and seem to be the type that would be most unwelcome in my hunting camp, [bleep] you don't even know proper terminology. It ain't a Pittsburgh machine gun, it's an Amish Machine gun and it's [bleep] near the State rifle of Pa Please refrain from soiling our Commonwealth with your presence....

Oh and God Bless

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Swarf, on this side of the state we call it the "Amish machinegun".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny how the discussions on minimum cartridges go, guys bashing on them, but forgetting that lots of guys use stick and string. Usually they don't go tracking arrow shot game for 1/2 hour to give them a chance to bleed out. Doesn't sound like drt, which is the argument for using big calibers.

Of course that's much different than using a smaller caliber. (sarcasm intended)

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

373 members (01Foreman400, 2alphas2, 2500HD, 160user, 3333vl, 257 mag, 39 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,501
Posts18,472,222
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.