Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The first deer I killed with a .22 CF was back in the early 80's. It was a Rem 788 chambered in .222 and the rack from the 172 lb. 8 point is hanging in my living room now. One shot through the lungs from 125 yards and he dropped right there. Since then I've killed a pile with the .222, .223 and .22-250. I never lost a deer with any of them so I'd have to say they're adequate but I was always pretty careful about my shot placement and maybe a little lucky. I would not however, call the .223 or any .22 centerfire "my best woods rifle for big game" or even my best for deer.

GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by swarf
Yes Mike. The "Pittsburg Machinegun." If I remember correctly these are at their best with see-through mounts, and any cheap scope.

These are also the people that cannot bring enough alcohol to camp to stay at least partly well plastered for a few days straight, and are what we called "ticket fillers." Their motto is, "we have six licenses, so we should shoot six deer. What's the difference who shoots them?" Hence the machine gun term.

My father started hunting over in PA before WW2. He started taking me over there when I was about 14. As family changes took place we sold our last place in Elk County. When my father started taking me we were lucky we had money for gas, and often slept in the car Friday night to hunt Saturday. I saw my first bear in the woods about then. During deer season. It made my entire hunting season. I never hunted bear over there, but I always enjoyed seeing them, and just getting to observe them in their element.

I am not anthropomorphic. But, when I harvest game it is in a legal season and allotted, and I do think that I owe it a good and unexpected death without suffering, and not the inevitable decline of old age, starvation, and suffering.

This is the last place were I should think that someone who has had the opportunity to knock around Alaska for a year or so should be belittled and remanded for wanting to buy another rifle... It's not necessarily what you are doing, but also what you want to do next.

Do you really need a big excuse to want another rifle? Maybe some of you people should just go out and buy a chicken and choke it to eat.

If my being somewhat educated, well read, and well informed is offensive to you, and having formed opinions. Shame on you. I pride myself on having learned, grown, and changed many of my opinions since I was 14. I still try to do that. Science has changed its opinions on many things since I was 14. It seems a sad state of affairs in the world today that many have only become more simplistically hysterical and only look for evidence to buttress there views - like a bad scientist, or a poor historian.

I have gotten to the age and stage in life where when sometimes, someone says something I often say, "Maybe I'll get hit by the "Big Truck" by then." They often respond, "But you might not die!" My response is always a surprised look and, "Don't you understand the term BIG?"

We should all be happy to be our game.

I honestly don't think you realize it ,but I think you have a superiority complex.I don't think you mean to offend folks,but it's just the way you are.You feel that your being "Somewhat educated",as you put it gives credence to your opinions,and that us commoners are just incapable of knowing something you don't.You do honestly feel all this negative attention you've been getting is because we "Resent your education",as you put it,and you must think that referring to yourself as "Well read",and "Well informed" commands respect of your views.Why don't you show the deer your PHD Degree,and see what they think...P.S. What do you mean by"We should all be happy to our game"?

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Blackheart right on 22 cf kill deer but are not the best deer round in any way or form.I have killed only 3 deer with 223 and all where very dead but the last one I shot ran 60 to 80 yards and there was no blood I found the deer after a 15 min search.The bullet did not exit on the heart shot deer no bones hit just some front leg muscle.The bullet 55gr rem reload I know a premium bullet will make the 22 cf behave bigger but good god man there is so many other better rounds out there.I have found that real serious rifleman use the 22cf not slob hunters so as everybody that knows anything about anything knows its where you put the bullet.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If ignorance was water there would be many drowned

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I may use a 22 centerfire for deer hunting,but then I normally don't ass shoot many either.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by swarf

If my being somewhat educated, well read, and well informed is offensive to you, and having formed opinions.

Ummm. Errr. ok.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like eggs.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I like tits.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
They make me a jolly good fellow.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,especially when they jiggle.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, this thread is a portal into a lot of "thinking" for sure.

Were I hunting New England whitetail I'd use a 257 Roberts or 250 Savage. The whitey is a small beast without much between either side, and there's little use getting beaten up killing one.

Give me a 115 or 120 grainer and I'm happy.

I've killed plenty with the 223 and its ilk, but am happier with a trifle more.

I like stuff in the 2,650 to 2,850 land.

A 358 is fine for those that fancy a whitetail to be the size of a moose... certainly works, but hardly necessary.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Brad,

Here is a key statement from my first post on this topic:

"I determined that if I had a powerful rifle and practiced with it I would get more.

I should have added that means that I will take any safe shot to get that buck! I will shoot at running deer and I practice it.

If someone uses a tiny cartridge he, in theory, might have to pass up some shot on some buck sometime!

I don't want have to pass up that shot.

PS: It's 3F in our Ct backyard, the wind is North gusting at 10

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Savage_99

"I determined that if I had a powerful rifle and practiced with it I would get more.

I have no idea what that means...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wrote above:

"If someone uses a tiny cartridge he, in theory, might have to pass up some shot on some buck sometime!"

I know I can take tougher shots with a more effective cartridge.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You know that how?

Of course you have me on ignore so blow it out your ass.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Brad

I have no idea what that means...

Neither does he

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Damn Savage, the fact that you have those firearms in your possession worries me. You eat a lot of paint chips when you were younger?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Travis,

I'm fully engaged on the "drink more, then post" ethos. But " Swarf " (which reminds me of the sound that occurred when I plundered a Rubenesque Chi Omega in the Fall of '83) can By Godfrey! Spell Judgment correctly! That has got to be worth something in this age of illiterate Trogs destroying our native tongue.

P.S. All anyone needs to kill deer is a slow twist .22/250 w 55 grain Core-Lokt inside 300 yards, however. Crack-Thump _ grin
#ikilllikeiwant

P.S. Woodford Reserve make me think purty.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since I have been hunting deer and other game for a lifetime here is how and why I chose the rifle I use prefer.

Most of my game hunting has been in Vermont where I have had a cabin for most of my life. We have hunted from there since 1964.

Right now its ready and the heat is on!

The hunting there has required that it be a buck with antlers.

Very few hunters get anything there.

The success rate has been about 10%, ie: one in ten get a buck!

I determined that if I had a powerful rifle and practiced with it I would get more.

I chose my Savage 99 F in .358 Winchester.

We run running deer matches at our rifle club here. I participate in them and in others in the region.

I tested rifles chambered for various cartridges and learned about bush cartridges.

I know a hunter will do better for this hunting shooting the most powerful rifle they can handle!

Those that use tiny cartridges for hunting are passing up shots and hurting our sport of hunting.

[Linked Image]

This is a joke, right?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your comment about helping a chubby sorority sister in need cracked me up! Heck, if you drank more often, you could probably be a professional gun writer with wordsmithing like that!

I, myself, prefer the 22-250 and 60 grain Partition combination, but lots of deer begin the path from woods to table via 55 grain bullets.

I didn't know that Remington made an Core-Lokts in .224" bore, where did you get them?

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Anaconda, 35, 406_SBC, 1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 41rem, 10 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,117
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.