-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So I'm pretty sure I'm selling my 2012 PSE stinger bow set up to my brother. which means I will be starting over with a whole new set up. the only thing I am keeping is my wrist sling and release.

I'm really leaning towards the 70# PSE surge as a bare bow to start with. after looking at all the options out there I'm undecided on the extras.

I've had whisker biscuits since they came out, and flipper rests before that. the drop-aways all seem to be the rage, especially on longer shots. I'm thinking 60 yards will be my max distance as a goal for now. does anyone have any suggestions on what is good or what are some brands to stay completely away from?

next would be the sights, adjustable? or 4 or 5 pin? I know a lot of that depends on the person. my last set up had 4 pins in 10 yard increments with 45 being my max. it was fine but nothing made me like or dislike them, they worked but that was all.

budget will be a factor as I will also be buying new arrows. and I'm open to suggestions there as well!

thanks in advance

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
PM me if you have any questions. Be glad to get you fixed up.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
You'll get a bunch of opinions, mine - with two dollars, will get you cup of coffee about anywhere but Starbucks...

I was a Flipper II fan back in the day.

IMHO, the Drop Aways tend to be a bit less sensitive to "wear" over time, support the arrow through more of the shot, and can be tuned to consistant shot to shot.

However, they can also induce limb twisting/lean through the cable that actions the arrow rest, come out of time with the bow, or break internally. I ran the Mathews Downforce, it was an accurate rest, but caused lower limb problems on a Reezen by torquing the lower limb with the rest cable. Local dealer replaced it. I've used the QAD series, good rests, and easy to tune. One out of three I owned failed, and QAD replaced it, no problems. However, I could not have continued to hunt with the failed rest in place.

I've settled on the Limbdriver Pro V series as my favorite, easy to tune, easy to fix in the field, and does not "seem" to cause any limb issues to date. I've been running them for three-four years now.

280 Ack is sending me a new rest to try out, he handles more rests than I ever will, so I'm taking his advice.

The Whisker Biscuit is good rest, and you are familiar with it, so no flies in starting there. Only you know how fast you "wear-out" the brisles.

How much did the biscuit tear up your vanes on your hunting arrows?

Sights are as personal a choice as you can get. Sometimes more is less, and more is, well more than needed. I've played with three fixed pins, three fixed and a floating fourth pin, five pin fixed, and a seven pin fixed. I've pretty much settled on a fixed five pin, Spot Hogg Hunter or Montana Black Gold, as my favorites. The Montana works well for me with Idaho archery rules, and I don't hunt extreme cold weather temps where the Montanas have issues. The SH takes abuse well, and it's compact with a big sight window.

Four pins on a speed bow: seeing guys here using a set-up with a 25 yard pin, and 40-50-60 pins. Expectation is using the 25 yard close in the treestand, and reach out with the other pins as needed.

For arrows, get the specs on the bow, decide on a broadhead weight, and then see what arrows match the bow for spine. Without knowing your draw weight, draw length, and desired arrow weight, any suggestion here may be a mute point, the physics of what you want may limit the choices outside of an opinion of the "best".

Last edited by AH64guy; 02/19/15.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
that is a bunch of great info! thank you, I sent a PM to 280A'zed

the whisker biscuit didn't tear up my vanes, I usually would only shoot a dozen or two shots a night 3-4 times a week so I wasn't over doing it.

never considered the torquing of the limb on the drop away, tht would be a big concern.

I was told I would never be able to shoot tight groups at longer range with a whisker biscuit because of the resistance and friction it caused.

my draw length is 30" with my optimum draw weight at 60-65 lbs.
I've been shooting the 75 grain Muzzy broadheads lately with great results. always been a muzzy fan so I've used them since I can remember, always used to use the 100's but when I got back into archery after college & the service all they had was 75 grain field points and broadheads at the local store so that's what I went with.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
280A'zed will take good care of setting up your final decison on a bow and arrows. Buy some extra arrows if he tunes your bow, you'll likely break a couple...

I've heard this before: "I was told I would never be able to shoot tight groups at longer range with a whisker biscuit because of the resistance and friction it caused."

Define longer range...the Biscuit will work if the the arrow diameter and the brisle holes are correctly matched in diameter. With a correct tune, it's as accurate as any other rest when new. I shot an Octane rest for a while, and had no issues with tuning and accuracy out to 60 yards.

Resistance and friction? Friction wear on the bristles will show a change in the POI over time. You are pushing your vanes through the biscuit on the shot, there is some of both present, and the vanes don't travel the same path through the biscuit each shot - but very close. For hunting use, the biscuit will work if you recognize when it is time to change to change it out.

What I didn't like with the Octane and the biscuit, the bristles wear with every shot, and you have to make a decision if a drop in performance/accuracy is a bad day on the range (me), or if the rest is worn enough to replace the brushes. The drop-aways are pretty easy to see if the launch fork, pad, or arm needs attention.

I wouldn't get too worried about the limb twist with a drop away, there are a number of very good systems out there. If the installation is done correctly, shouldn't be a factor.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

155 members (160user, 44mc, 3333vl, 2UP, 1eyedmule, 308ld, 12 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.