-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A curiosity and fascination with how it all works. Then experimenting with what could be done beyond commercial ammo on both the high and low ends of the spectrum. Then tuning for accuracy way beyond what I could use as a practical matter. And somewhere along the line economy.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm curious to hear what got you into reloading? [/quote]

The high cost of factory ammo and the relative rarity of some of chamberings even then. My first centerfire was a Model 92 .32-20, then I used my sisters .25-35 and at twelve dad bought me a .300 Savage for my own use.

The first cartridge I loaded for was the .300 Savage. I used
Ball C-2 for powder, 100 grain half jackets for varmints and 150 grain Hornady flat base spitzers for deer. I used the reloading gear at the old Foster Sporting Goods in Portland at first. I was under the watchful eyes of the guys who worked there and they tauhght me enough to get by.
The .300 Savage with its short neck and sharp shoulder was a good one to learn on.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Reading John Wooters and Jim Carmichel is what got me interested.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
45-70, same reason more or less as some of the others here.....expensive to shoot with factory....reloaded cast bullets were alot cheaper even not casting myself

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Economics: I didn't really save any money; I actually spent more... but I shot more...which is like saving money over factory ammo.

Pick My bullets: I could load what I wanted and when I started hand loading the best game bullets available were not loaded by the factories.

Consistency: My hand loads, back when I started,were "better" than factory.

Convenience: When I bought a new rifle, I never worried whether the ammo I wanted was available from the factories. I bought dies and brass and was ready to go.

Confidence: I could trust my ammo on hunts. A few thousand rounds a year meant I knew the rifles,kept them zeroed,and knew them well from so much shooting. This paid off on hunts.

It was a simple choice.

What Bob said, years ago.

The bonus is, by the time my kids were of an age to start centerfire, I was plenty experienced enough to get some good starting point information from a couple of the guys here and develop ideal reduced recoil loads for them. The equipment has more than paid for itself in quality time dividends and economy.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Curiosity and a .257 Weatherby Mag.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Started with a Lee Loader and a .410 single shot back in 1976 at the age of 12. Made a whole lot of racket on moms kitchen table trying to crimp W-W hulls. Later progressed to handguns and rifles. Still have both the shotgun which was a Christmas present and the tools.

P.S. No one posting here truly understands terror until they have spilled a bag of number 8 shot on a green shag carpet in the AM and then trying to get it up before the parents got up!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It really had nothing to do with economics for me. Realistally speaking if I wanted to be economical I would have purchased a 308 of some sort and put food on the table for a life time shooting factory fodder for less money.

The truth is for me its a hobbie along with shooting that I really enjoy. It was worth every penny.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Economics: I didn't really save any money; I actually spent more... but I shot more...which is like saving money over factory ammo.

Pick My bullets: I could load what I wanted and when I started hand loading the best game bullets available were not loaded by the factories.

Consistency: My hand loads, back when I started,were "better" than factory.

Convenience: When I bought a new rifle, I never worried whether the ammo I wanted was available from the factories. I bought dies and brass and was ready to go.

Confidence: I could trust my ammo on hunts. A few thousand rounds a year meant I knew the rifles,kept them zeroed,and knew them well from so much shooting. This paid off on hunts.

It was a simple choice.

Bob's always right grin cool . However, the reason I started reloading a long time ago is because I bought a 300 wby magnum. I couldn't afford to shoot factory ammo. I bought a complete reloading kit for what a few boxes of ammo would have cost me!!! Been reloading and making good ammo for quite some time now. Oh I like accurate ammo too, so this is why I reload:

[Linked Image]

My handloads are still better than factory Bob. Probably better than other guy's handloads too. The proof is generally on the target, whether it's critter or paper... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
leomort, I was in love with guns, shooting, and hunting since probably before 5 years old. Somewhere around that time we were visiting my uncle, and I watched him do some handloading. Bought my first centerfire ( Win. Model 88 in .308 Win.)at 14. Within months I bought the old Lee Loader($9.95 I think) and started loading.First centerfire handgun(S&W Model 28) at 16. At around age 20 started casting bullets for the Model 28.I'scrounged" wheel weights, a friend gave me a bunch of 38 Special brass,and I was shooting light-load 38's cheaper than I could get 22 LR's.Then started casting bullets for the Model 88 soon after. I shot turtles,snakes and armodillos during the summer, then on to squirrels and rabbits in fall, transitioned to jacketed bullets for winter deer hunting. I don't load,shoot,or hunt as much as I'd like, but still do some as time permits. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by leomort

I'm curious to hear what got you into reloading?

P.O. Ackley

Have Dog

Will Travel

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I grew up along the edge of the Blue Ridge mountains in Northern Va sandwiched between dairy farms (Catlett Va). In 1976 (16yrs old) I bought a Rem 788 in a 6mm Rem from Rankins Hardware $129 to deer hunt with. That spring and summer (77) I discovered the enormous population of groundhogs on the 20 plus farms within a few miles of our property. I enlisted a buddy of mine (Win 88 .243). We would take a card table two lawn chairs and a backback to rest the rifles on and set up on a field (both rifles wore 3X9X40 Bushnell Banners). We learned how to hit "hogs" out to 400 yds. The local farmers referred to us as the "groundhog boys" and would call our Dads and ask if we would come to their farm to help in the eradication of the varmits on their property. This required a lot of ammo. The summer of 77 I went to Clark Brothers Gun shop, Opal Va and bought a Rock Chucker kit and IMR 4350 and Sierra 85 gr HPBT (Dies for a 6mm and .243). Gained access to a lot of deer land. Hunting, reloading, and people seemed less complicated in 1977. I still have that Sierra manual with all my notes/loads.

Last edited by Moses; 02/21/15.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm cheap

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I didn't ever know anything different. Dad started letting me "help" when I was strong enough to run a Lee Auto Prime with two thumbs and a grunt.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Because I wanted to roll my own.

Getting a load specific for a certain rifle is fun and a little bit of pride. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a Kimber 257 Roberts & at the time there wasn't much ammo to choose from.

Scott
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
To get the most out of what I've got.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
About 1988 and me bitching at the range about the cost of Freedom Arms 454 Casull ammo, an older man that built all the locks and dams on the Arkansas river invited me to his place and showed me the ropes on handloading.

Bought an RCBS Master Reloading kit and got busy, had a 7 mag, 378 WBY and 458 Win Mag at the time too.

That day was the first of many trips and a friendship that lasted a couple decades till he passed away in 2009, helluva good man he was.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Economics initially, started with a Lee Loader for my 30-06 when I was 15 or 16. I'm 52 now.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
375 H&H, I bought one, rounds were $30 for 20. At the time (early 80's) '06 and 7 mag was about $8 a box!! My simple math told me it was $1.50 every time I pulled the trigger, so I started reloading!

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 222ND, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,366 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,609
Posts18,511,675
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.