Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Will be time to put a new set of sneakers on my Jeep Cherokee soon.

Currently running Maxxis Bighorns http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-12-104-bighorn-mt-762 on the ol'boy and they have certainly done well on our rough, icy West Virginia back roads but I'm thinking there's a rough usage tire out there that's tad bit better in the snow.

Care to share ?

As always a big thank you !

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had these on my pickup for about 4 years and they've been fine.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T-MAXX.aspx

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another vote for the Coopers.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
BF Goodrich KO or KO2

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The Mastercraft Courser is a great tire for what you are after. Not a lot of road noise, either, great traction in the snow and rain, and very good wear/mileage.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
kumho mud terrian gives excellent traction , wear ain't great got like 30,000 out of some on my jeep

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Last Year I Run a Set Of Federal's.Couragia.Their a Little Cheaper Than The B.F's.And IMO Go Better In The Mud-Snow. Only Down Fall Is I Only Got about 25,000 Out Of Them.I'm Running A Set Of Micky Thompson MTZ Now.

Last edited by Mull; 02/21/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I've had these on my pickup for about 4 years and they've been fine.

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-S-T-MAXX.aspx

That's all you need to know.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
A voice crying in the wilderness here folks.

Soft tread rubber gives good traction, but wears faster.

Take your pick.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Wife got Granada HT for the Kia Sorento 4 wheel drive (real 2 speed transfer case) she had. Now it is mine, agressive tread, quiet, 6 ply rated, stands tall. This was from Les Schwab.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I love toyo M/T..but diesels chew them up (what dont they chew up)..M55's are tougher, but suck in mud.

I'm running a pair of "new design" BFG T/A's now, and they have a great tread pattern for hook up..but again, ford diesel is chewing the chit out of them.

Oh, and if you're using it on an actual truck, get E range (10 ply), dont even [bleep] around.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Currently running Maxxis Bighorns http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-12-104-bighorn-mt-762 on the ol'boy and they have certainly done well on our rough, icy West Virginia back roads but I'm thinking there's a rough usage tire out there that's tad bit better in the snow.

Care to share ?

Why don't you ask some of those stupid hillbillies you moved by and are always bitching about.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Goodyear silent armor quiet, wear good,and will climb up the side of a house

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EWY

Why don't you ask some of those stupid hillbillies you moved by and are always bitching about.

Ernie

Would that be the child molesters or the thieves ?
The daughter raper and thieves are in prison now. Pretty quite now on the home front.

Which of the two do you condone ? I'm thinking both

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Goodyear Duratracs are very popular here for this sort of thing, some guys stud them and that seems to work well too.

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
kumho mud terrian gives excellent traction , wear ain't great got like 30,000 out of some on my jeep

Thanks for the reminder. Small garage near here won't sell anything else. Not adverse to having another set of tires on separate rims for summer use.

Last edited by 284LUVR; 02/21/15.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

Care to share ?

I checked the link and like the tread wear on the "Bighorns"! Looks like something I could use off-road.

I used to race off-road and still run the my vehicles hard in the woods and desert, I have been very happy with Michelin - LTX® A/T2 they have worked great on my winter high Sierra hunting / camping trips and wear up to 70k miles on highway. (at 282k ON MY 4X4 I am running my 4th set)

Found out a friend back on the PA/ NY border runs them on his two suburbans and has also been pleased with them.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lived down several miles of dirt road years and still do over a hundred miles of dirt most months.

I am running tread about like what you've been using, and like it fine for off road and dirt.
For dirt and pavement, the tread design Sam linked to works great, will wear longer, and a better tread design all round.

Just depends on what a fella wants his tires to do the most.

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
old willys, my neighbor runs them on his Durango. Riding behind him I noticed how well the tread cleaned out in the snow. I had forgotten about them.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by old_willys

Care to share ?

I checked the link and like the tread wear on the "Bighorns"! Looks like something I could use off-road.

I used to race off-road and still run the my vehicles hard in the woods and desert, I have been very happy with Michelin - LTX® A/T2 they have worked great on my winter high Sierra hunting / camping trips and wear up to 70k miles on highway. (at 282k ON MY 4X4 I am running my 4th set)

Found out a friend back on the PA/ NY border runs them on his two suburbans and has also been pleased with them.

I thought I had found a nice compromise with the Michelin LTX, then a week pronghorn hunting in the black rock desert of NV absolutely shredded them..i've tired all the supposed great tires..and imo, a great tire hasnt been invented yet..not for offroad diesels anyway.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 1lessdog, 160user, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,151
Posts18,484,245
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.