Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By gonzaga
If it had been a coyote that's one thing....an elk is something totally different.....
If you got her, I'll bet it was a beatch getting her out....any hero photos of her on the ground?

I hear this all the time. I think this is total BS. Where do you draw the line with species? Are some afforded more mortal status than others? Nobody would have given him crap for shooting a chuck in the head yet here we are crucifying him for a cow elk shot in the head. What's good for the goose is good for the gander or something like that.

This is exactly the way I look at animal life. They are all the same. I kill freas and I kill game and varmints. Dead is dead.

Someone posted if the shot was 2" to the right, he would have missed. If the elk had wings it wouldn't be an elk. What's mature about a "if"? The shot didn't go 2" to the right. It hit the head.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If you guys ever had to debate this in front of voters you would lose big time (the elk vs coyote guys).

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
I kill freas

I kill head rice......

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
With your equipment shown, I ASSUME you practice, and have a range finder that is +,-, one yard. It looks as tho conditions could not have been better, flat light, no marage I could see in the video, but slight elevation on the shot. If you missed high, you missed, low hit her in the neck. I looks like you just cought her in the top of her head, almost a high right miss. To me, conditions would have dictated the shot, and again ASSUME you thought this out.
It worked out for you. Nice job.

Last edited by CGPAUL; 02/23/15.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote]

Someone posted if the shot was 2" to the right, he would have missed. If the elk had wings it wouldn't be an elk. What's mature about a "if"? The shot didn't go 2" to the right. It hit the head.

Did It? or is there an elk running around with one ear?

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by gonzaga
If it had been a coyote that's one thing....an elk is something totally different.....
If you got her, I'll bet it was a beatch getting her out....any hero photos of her on the ground?

I hear this all the time. I think this is total BS. Where do you draw the line with species? Are some afforded more mortal status than others? Nobody would have given him crap for shooting a chuck in the head yet here we are crucifying him for a cow elk shot in the head. What's good for the goose is good for the gander or something like that.

Pests and vermin are not attributed the same value or care that a big game animal, pet, livestock, or human being is for that matter.

I don't really care if my mouse trap catches a mouse by the head, chest, guts, or legs- so long as it catches him and he's dead when I find him.

Exactly!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This is exactly the way I look at animal life. They are all the same. I kill freas and I kill game and varmints. Dead is dead.

Well, it's not the same way state game agencies look at wildlife.

Shoot a coyote and let it lay. Then call your state game agency and tell them you did it.

Then try the same with an elk.

An elk has more value, both in terms of the 150-odd lbs of some of the healthiest meat you can eat, and the $600-800 per head that non-residents are willing to pay for just the chance to kill one.

And PS, by your logic, you'd feel exactly the same about running over an earthworm in your driveway as you would if you ran over your dog.

Is that the case?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Cabin Fever Season.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting mindset. On the strange side.

Thinking about any big game animal I've killed, I never once thought about anything else as the point of aim but the shoulder area or just behind no matter what range. But then I really can't shoot either grin

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by gonzaga

Pests and vermin are not attributed the same value or care that a big game animal, pet, livestock, or human being is for that matter.

I don't really care if my mouse trap catches a mouse by the head, chest, guts, or legs- so long as it catches him and he's dead when I find him.

I would not set out to torture a mouse to death OTOH either...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smokepole,

And PS, by your logic, you'd feel exactly the same about running over an earthworm in your driveway as you would if you ran over your dog.

My opinions are not established by other folks, including the game departments. I don't have a dog.

Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

Well, it's not the same way state game agencies look at wildlife.

Shoot a coyote and let it lay. Then call your state game agency and tell them you did it.

Then try the same with an elk.

An elk has more value, both in terms of the 150-odd lbs of some of the healthiest meat you can eat, and the $600-800 per head that non-residents are willing to pay for just the chance to kill one.

Is that the case?

And again, what do game laws have to do with ethics. Where do you draw the line? Is elk not subject to cruelty ethics because it is $600 tag, good eating? Certainly, they are no smarter than a coyote. Feral horses are bigger and smarter than an elk yet afforded NO protection, is it OK to head-shoot them at 1000 yards? Again, where do you draw the line on what it is OK to gut shoot and leave to crawl away vs making every shot the perfect scenario where you can't possibly wound an animal?

If any of you have EVERY wounded an animal, I refer you to the words of the Savior in John 8:7

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If any of you have EVERY wounded an animal, I refer you to the words of the Savior in John 8:7

I have wounded animals that I could not recover, and when the long range videos show up, I always wonder, how many misses or wounding shots were made before a video that was OK to post was made. I am not speaking to this video directly, and frankly I did not watch it. Just talking about things that I see posted often. Most will deny that they ever miss or let animals get away, but it happens. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I will happily admit I let alot of them get away. Because I was not comfortable with the shot. Close or far.

Getting to popcorn time already... LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last deer I killed took me seven minutes before I was comfortable making the shot. And it was only a 276 yard head shot.

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And again, what do game laws have to do with ethics.

I don't believe I raised the issue of ethics, did I? The issue I raised is one of intrinsic value.

I wouldn't personally go for a head shot on a coyote at 900 either. My philosophy is, any animal I shoot will get as humane a death as I'm able to give it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted By Ringman
Fotis,

Quote:
No one I know would ever take a 900 yard head shot at a Big game animal.

Do you know anyone who can make three consecutive hits on a man sized target at a mile and a half?

Personally no, I do not

I guess it can't be done then.

I am not arguing whether it can be done or not. What I meant was I do not know any "HUNTER" that would attempt it. Body shot yes but WHY a head shot?

Would you? I would never.

Last edited by Fotis; 02/23/15.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My opinions are not established by other folks, including the game departments. I don't have a dog.

Your opinions may not be, but your convoluted logic just was.

I'm not surprised you don't have a dog. If you place the same value on a dog as an amoeba, why not just stick with that?

Costs less to feed, and no vet bills. What's not to like?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Your opinions may not be, but your convoluted logic just was.

I'm not surprised you don't have a dog. If you place the same value on a dog as an amoeba, why not just stick with that?

Costs less to feed, and no vet bills. What's not to like?

They're very difficult to train to retrieve to hand....

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rcamuglia

They're very difficult to train to retrieve to hand....

That made me laugh out loud.

He will have to retort with something. He has to have the last word.

Everyday Hunter
Page 4 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,715
Posts18,514,120
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.