Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Might do it in a MRC with it's 3.125" box. What length box is Reed using in his products?

John

I didn't think of that. I have 2.8" engraved on the brain. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shoot for 8", and they might settle for 9" wink

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This thread is about a rifle? Wow. I thought it was who could be the most vulgar and offensive. Thanks for the heads up.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Might do it in a MRC with it's 3.125" box. What length box is Reed using in his products?

John

I didn't think of that. I have 2.8" engraved on the brain. grin

You're close if they haven't modified the original Ed Brown magazine it's 2.85" for short action and 3.70" for long.

http://www.usfirearmsacademy.com/assets/images/Ed%20Brown/Ed%20Brown%202010%20Catalog.pdf

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'dvd,

Ms. Reed is outta pitches.(grin)

math',

Throat/twist/COAL geometry are easily arranged...but "Legendary" sure as fhuqk ain't gonna connect them dots.

If only obviously.

Jordan',

30's ain't nearly as maligned as lesser diameters and have been wayyyyyyyyy "over" twisted for many moons. 9" would give the Subsonic Faction some traction.

Not too "surprisingly" none of the Whining Kchunts have muttered a word in regards to their rifle's "particulars". Prolly a VERY good fhuqking call,as they'd of been rubbing their own noses even further,in their INCREDIBLE fhuqking Stupidity.

Funny how it actually works.

UFO Nig,

Cheer up...noone is going to trump your Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit "approach",let alone your fhuqking amazing Stupidity. Your cup runneth over and here's to the sweet "satisfactions" that are your's,due them facts.

Bitchin' job on the Imaginary Pretend Ignore,you really know how to make a "stand"!

Laffin'!

It remains a shame,that you cain't begin to savvy your Incredible Dumbfhuqktitude and far you are in over your head.

Keep the pics coming.

Re-laffin'!

taylor',

2.85" grants copious opportunity...but Legendary went FULL Fhuqking Retard on all of it.

Bless their hearts.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
It takes all of ten minutes to test a twist. It is not emotion, it is science.

I had some 65gr v-maxes loaded up for a 243 sitting in the closet. I wanted the brass, so I took them out and shot them through my 7 twist. They shot great too.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Vmax's on critters in a fast twist sure is something to behold -

I shot 60's in a 7" twist .223 for a good many years at dogs. Electrocution like I have never seen.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GregW
Vmax's on critters in a fast twist sure is something to behold -

I shot 60's in a 7" twist .223 for a good many years at dogs. Electrocution like I have never seen.

Standby for 20 replies explaining you didn't see what you saw.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I know what I saw - I had a pretty good sample size - grin...

They start spewing that stuff it'll just let us know who hasn't done it...grin...

- Greg

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boxer,

In Bryan Litz' book 'Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting', he outlines some of the most prominent factors affecting the modern rifle's ability to perform beyond close and medium ranges. Two of those factors are....you guessed it.....COAL constraints and twist rate. He also discusses throating. It's a good read that takes a Myth Busters' approach to dealing with some of these misunderstood topics.

Here's an excerpt:

In this image the circles are factory offerings, and the black dots are the average factory offered twist rates for each caliber. He discusses velocity in the RPM requirement, as well, but focuses on showing that in general most factory twist rates are too slow.

[Linked Image]

"These twist rates between normal and fast are just what’s required to shoot the bullets with adequate stability...There are measurable performance benefits which result from super- stabilizing bullets. In particular, the effects of super stability can suppress the magnitude of limit cycle yaw which can allow the bullet to fly with less induced drag and higher BC’s especially at transonic speeds."

"...giving the mass produced rifle a faster twist so it can shoot higher BC bullets doesn’t hurt anything. With a 1:8” twist, you can shoot any bullet from light weight varmint bullets up to the high BC 105’s. Likewise extending action and magazine length in repeaters is something that only makes a rifle more versatile by allowing it to shoot high performance long range ammo as well as short and medium range options."

Hopefully the manufacturers start to take notes and apply same *grin*

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Litz and I are very close internet friends.

Despite his never replying to my posts.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In my book Titled: "Bajillions Of Rounds Fired"...I mention that I've long had an affinity for Reseve RPM and for more than a couple/few reasons,which also happen to be facts.

I also mention that the ONLY way to connect dots,is via the harmonious melding of twist/throat/COAL.

Haven't been stating same,for much more 3 decades.

I can only lead 'em to water...and would refuse to make 'em drink,even if I could.............(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Are Bryan Litz and Boxer one and the same?

Seems I remember reading the intro. to Litz's book and he said:

"Let's start at the F***ing start?"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
2.85" is good for me. I have another 6mm build planned when I'm done with my training program at work, but I'd buy an off the shelf .243 Win if it had an 8 twist barrel throated for the majority of 105's to be close enough to kiss, and that will feed reliably at 2.8" COAL. An off the shelf .243 set up this way would save me a nice chunk of change in the long run.

I throated my last 7 twist .243 for 115's which it shot very well both Berger and DTAC, but I had an easier time stocking 105 Hornady and Berger bullets, which it shot equally as well but faster. The 6 Creed intrigues me but I'll probably go back with the .243 since I have piles of brass or give the BR a try. I'm just in the planning phase anyway, any parts collecting will be a few months off yet.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Boxer,

In Bryan Litz' book 'Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting', he outlines some of the most prominent factors affecting the modern rifle's ability to perform beyond close and medium ranges. Two of those factors are....you guessed it.....COAL constraints and twist rate. He also discusses throating. It's a good read that takes a Myth Busters' approach to dealing with some of these misunderstood topics.

Here's an excerpt:

In this image the circles are factory offerings, and the black dots are the average factory offered twist rates for each caliber. He discusses velocity in the RPM requirement, as well, but focuses on showing that in general most factory twist rates are too slow.

[Linked Image]

"These twist rates between normal and fast are just what’s required to shoot the bullets with adequate stability...There are measurable performance benefits which result from super- stabilizing bullets. In particular, the effects of super stability can suppress the magnitude of limit cycle yaw which can allow the bullet to fly with less induced drag and higher BC’s especially at transonic speeds."

"...giving the mass produced rifle a faster twist so it can shoot higher BC bullets doesn’t hurt anything. With a 1:8” twist, you can shoot any bullet from light weight varmint bullets up to the high BC 105’s. Likewise extending action and magazine length in repeaters is something that only makes a rifle more versatile by allowing it to shoot high performance long range ammo as well as short and medium range options."

I'm glad somebody finally got a chart posted....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
TFF

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
In my book Titled: "Bajillions Of Rounds Fired"...I mention that I've long had an affinity for Reseve RPM and for more than a couple/few reasons,which also happen to be facts.

I also mention that the ONLY way to connect dots,is via the harmonious melding of twist/throat/COAL.

Haven't been stating same,for much more 3 decades.

I can only lead 'em to water...and would refuse to make 'em drink,even if I could.............(grin)

grin....

- Greg

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Reed has not been back or change anything on the web site
Still no answers on mag measurements

From the downloadable PDF on their website:

THE 704 ACTION SPECIFICATIONS:
• Material: 416SS Receiver; 4340CM Bolt
• 2-lug Bolt
• Hardness: 42 Rockwell C
• Overall Length: Long Action 8-23/32” Short Action 7-7/8”
• Receiver Thread (Barrel Tenon): 1.0625 - 16tpi (Remington Standard)
• Scope Base Hole Spacing: 0.860” Front And Rear, Same Height (Nesika Bay Pattern)
• Scope Base Thread Pitch: 8-40tpi
Magazine Box Length ID: Long Action-3.70” Short Action-2.84”
• Bolt Diameter: 0.695”
• Bolt Face Diameter: Standard 0.475” Magnum 0.540”
• Bolt Hardness: 46 Rockwell C

Wish they woulda gone with a little longer box on the short actions...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Boxer,

Here's an excerpt:

[Linked Image]

I'm glad somebody finally got a chart posted....

Seriously. I couldn't stand it any longer. Somebody had to do it grin

Page 18 of 26 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,238 guests, and 1,109 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,723
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.