-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A-Frames, it seems, appeal to the 'gacker' in many people (and I am one). But, as Mule Deer pointed out quite long ago, they tend not to do anything the older, somewhat less expensive Partition doesn't do (with apologies for any errors I've made in paraphrasing). I haven't noticed the experiences he's related with them to be any different than what I've seen. Partitions tend to dig a bit deeper since they can shed their front core. A couple times when I've thrown Partitions and A-Frames of like weights at the same animal (moose) the Partitions have penetrated more.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This is one of the only threads where every single contributor is correct in his opinion.

There likely isn't another cartridge where every suggestion will work exactly as described.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
A-Frames, it seems, appeal to the 'gacker' in many people (and I am one). But, as Mule Deer pointed out quite long ago, they tend not to do anything the older, somewhat less expensive Partition doesn't do (with apologies for any errors I've made in paraphrasing). I haven't noticed the experiences he's related with them to be any different than what I've seen. Partitions tend to dig a bit deeper since they can shed their front core. A couple times when I've thrown Partitions and A-Frames of like weights at the same animal (moose) the Partitions have penetrated more.

Pardon my being partial to the 250 gr a-frames, I fell into about 900 of them at a very attractive price, and they have shot great in 4/5 different 338 WM's I've had over the years. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No need to pardon that kind of partiality. grin It's not like you're promoting the Matchking as an ideal hunting bullet after all. wink

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
laugh, 10-4 Klik, haven't used them on a moose yet, but haven't got to recover one with the few animals I've shot with it so far.

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm piling on here and readily admit I am a dangerous (know it all) poster because I have killed exactly one animal with a 338. Somewhere along this thread they were asking for pics so I thought I'd contribute. With apologies, this is from a previous post in the elk hunting forum detailing a successful hunt with my late 60's vintage Sako 338 that I rebuilt, using factory Federal Premium Nosler Partition 210 grain. To say I was pleased with the performance would be an understatement. He hit the ground from 110 yards and I only put a finisher in him to put him out of his misery. He never moved, but was coughing up blood, etc as I got up to him. I dug the 210 grain bullet out and the terminal performance blew me away. I've killed a ton of game in the past, but this is only my second animal taken with a factory load. So far so good with this rifle. Now that I have been able to find some Redding dies, I can work up some loads and improve on those 3/4" groups it was shooting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bigswede358
Good stuff.

Anybody else, besides Coyote Hunter have pics of your rifles??

OH, you know I do.. Quit your begging... grin.. I've always used 24" tubes on my 338's and ran either RL19, IMR and H4350 powders fired off by CCI 250's. Accuracy has always been excellent and it puts elk down very nicely. I'm in agreement with SNAP whole heartedly with using a 225-250gr bullet in the 338 and see no need to go lighter. If I were going to run a damn 200 gr. bullet, I'd be shooting a 300WM. Pointless to say the least. 338's were made for heavy bullets and killin elk. 300's were made for 200 gr. pills. I've got 308's for 150's, 30-06's for 180's and 300's for 200's. Makes perfect sense to me anyway wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
This is one of the only threads where every single contributor is correct in his opinion.

There likely isn't another cartridge where every suggestion will work exactly as described.

You know that post rings out the most truth I've seen on this subject. Damn near (if not every) bullet made for the .338 was designed for killin elk. They all damn near work perfectly. That's why I like the 338 win mag so much!!!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
For the 250 NPT fans...

Brian Pearce has published a load with RL22 that gets 2852 fps with 24".

WOWZER!!!! eek

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tracks
I can kill anything I want with a 250 at 2700. grin
I save the 210s for my 338-06s which are pretty fair Elk rifles, been trying 200 gr Federal fusions in my 338-08AI. They look to have some promise.

I'm with you on this one tracks. I'll even load them milder when I want to practice with the rifle off the bench a lot. I've shot 50 rounds off the bench in one session with my 338 before with nice mild loads that I also know will kill elk. BTDT grin. My 250gr. sierra gameking load comes to mind...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
TOM,
Did you get good penetration on the squirrels? Did they travel far after being hit?

A couple of older fellers I used to work with had a couple of dedicated squirrel rifles themselves.
One of them shot a Whitworth 375 H&H
the other a Ruger No. 1 in 458 Win mag.

Damn, I use my 9.3x62mm. Only because that rifle is pretty damn accurate. However it is only marginal for the squirrels around here... laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good stuff.

Anybody else, besides Coyote Hunter have pics of your rifles??

Ok I guess:

One of my favorite elk hunting rifles. Ruger m77 mkII 338 win mag. Taken elk with it's favorite bullet (250gr. gameking). Here's how she shot too:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I've punched through both shoulders with this bullet, but did get core/jacket separation. Core exited and was never found, jacket found on offside hide:
[Linked Image]

Failure: Hell no, but I probably wouldn't want to trust it wholeheartedly on a big brown bear...

Pre 64 model 70 338 Alaskan:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Custom pre 64 338 win mag built on H&H receiver:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0146_zpscefbbc95.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0136_zps83dcb8fb.jpg[/img]

It's showing some promise, even though the weather has been chit around here lately:
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0059_zps2b30e4ac.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/IMG_0060_zpsa08858c6.jpg[/img]

Yes, I'm taking it elk hunting this year!!

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
1917, some very nice .338's..

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
BSA,what's your load for the 250 gr Sierra? Thinking of using that bullet in my .338 Win mag.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I reload for a buddy with 210gr TSX FB and watched him punch three of them lengthwise through the biggest Kodiak bear I have ever been around. The first shot was broadside and it hit plenty of bone and left like the three end-on bullets.

I've only used the 210 TTSX on one moose, but it impressed the hell out of me. That bull took one step and was stone dead before I could even walk the 65 yards to it. That Barnes slug copter churned that mooses chest cavity into lung/heart soup.

And it consistently stacks three rounds touching at 100 yds out of my Ruger Hawkeye, I am sold.

Eat moose, burn spruce
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
BSA,what's your load for the 250 gr Sierra? Thinking of using that bullet in my .338 Win mag.

Just Sierra book loads. I have tried from 67 to 70 grains of IMR 4350 with great success. I run R-P and w-w brass with CCI 250 primers. They shoot great and hit hard. Elk generally only take about 1 step and keel over... They also have some pretty good BC and SD numbers..

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks BSA.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Thanks BSA.

If you can get your hands on some H4350, you may want to try that first since it's not as temp sensitive as IMR. I've had really good luck with it and the 225gr. Hornady sp interlocks.. I'm sure Sierra probably lists it as a great powder choice for the 250gr. gameking as well.. Good luck buddy..

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Have 2-3 lbs of H-4350,IMR-4350 however,have 10 lbs of it. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Fav bullet is the 230 FailSafe.

225 XLC, 250 Partys have done very well too.

I'd imagine presently available 225 TTSX's would do about the same.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.