Hop To
#9606534 02/15/15
M
MickeyD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm considering buying a Forbes 24B in 280 Reington but have questions on these rifles.

Looking for info from only those that have first hand knowledge.

Are there any quality/accuracy issues?
Have they been consistent in quality/accuracy?
If you own/owned one, would you buy another? Why/why not?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Mike-

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have only fired a prototype .30-06, which worked very well, and was as well-made, and for all practical purposes as accurate, as my nearly identical NULA Model 24 .30-06.

But while I was working with the prototype, a friend came by and after handling the rifle decided he needed one. He ordered an identical production model, and is quite happy with it. I could ask him for more details, but that's all I know from hands-on experience.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
MickeyD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks John. That helps.

Being fairly new rifles, without much history, I'm a bit hesitant to "pull the trigger" on this one.

Decisions. Decisions. Descisions......

-Mike-

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got to handle the Forbes Rifles at the SHOT Show this year. I like the feel of it so much that I ordered an all-stainless in .280AI. It's supposed to ship in April, so I'll post a range report when I get it.

Some info that was given to me at the show:
- .280AI is a new chambering for this year
- 5.5 pounds for the 24B
- 3-3/8" mag box
- Fluted bolt (2 lugs) with Sako-style extractor
- Welded & machined both handle
- ER Shaw barrels
- Timney triggers
- They make their own stocks, and each is full-length bedded and serial numbered to the barreled action.

I really liked the feel of the rifle, so I'm hoping it shoots as well as it looks and feels!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Good luck to you sir

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Good luck to you sir

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Best of luck, guys.

If they are anything like the ULA rifles I've owned, they should be great.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have one in 270 Win.I bought it used.I could not adjust the trigger below 4 1/2 lbs.I sent it back to the factory and they set it up at the 2 1/2 lbs I requested.They paid shipping both ways.I get 5 shot groups of 2 1/4" at 200 yards as fast as I can work the bolt and shoot.Yeah,I would buy another one.I guess my only bitch is LOP is 14 1/2".I would like to take it down an inch.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a new one about two years ago when they first came out in .270 Win. It is well made and shoots very well. I like it better than my former NULA in 7mm-08 which I bought used and which did not fit my smaller hands as well as the new one does. Quality of mine seems on par with the NULA I had. I have handled several new ones since then in stores and the later ones do not seem to be as well put together as the early one I own. The inability to customize from the factory might be an issue for some but it fits very well for me. I would buy another one but not sight unseen. The tolerances are so tight that the bolt needs to be worked a while to make it easier to cycle.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I picked up a .270 a little over a year ago and have been extremely pleased. In my limited experience it seems all new production rifles require a bit of tweeking and my Forbes was no exception ... the rails were a bit rough but a bit of stone work and some time cycling the action smoothed things up just fine. Trigger was 2.7# out of the box and feels perfect. Feeds, extracts and ejects reliably and the rifle is spooky accurate for a lightweight.

Huntz, LOP of my rifle is 13-1/2". It is odd that your rifle was 1" longer. Mine was an early production rifle with a serial # in the mid 200's ... pre bolt fluting.

Backpacking hunting for muleys in the high country is a passion of mine and this rifle will serve extremely well in that environment.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 02/16/15.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hey Dan are you surre they are building ss actions? I asked Melvin last month and he said NO, as only he can. Wondered if anything changed since??? Thanks just curious, Dick

If you want to know how well the government manages things, ask an Indian!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had an couple of them. Currently I have a 30-06 with the jeweled bolt. I am pleased with it. MOA or less has been easily obtained and the barrel while not the absolute smoothest bore I have seen doesn't foul particularly bad. The bedding is well done on this one and the trigger is great. I did have to file down the mag well as it was binding a little. I prefer the jeweled version to the fluted but that's just me.

I do tend to flip rifles a bit and so far I am keeping this one. For now...

M
MickeyD Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Great info, guys. Just the stuff I was looking for.

Thanks to all.

-Mike-

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
I picked up a .270 a little over a year ago and have been extremely pleased. In my limited experience it seems all new production rifles require a bit of tweeking and my Forbes was no exception ... the rails were a bit rough but a bit of stone work and some time cycling the action smoothed things up just fine. Trigger was 2.7# out of the box and feels perfect. Feeds, extracts and ejects reliably and the rifle is spooky accurate for a lightweight.

Huntz, LOP of my rifle is 13-1/2". It is odd that your rifle was 1" longer. Mine was an early production rifle with a serial # in the mid 200's ... pre bolt fluting.

Backpacking hunting for muleys in the high country is a passion of mine and this rifle will serve extremely well in that environment.

Mine is also an early one with the 3 position safety and jeweled bolt.Yes that LOP threw me for a loop as I have handled other ones that did not seem to be that long???

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rdobrow
Hey Dan are you surre they are building ss actions? I asked Melvin last month and he said NO, as only he can. Wondered if anything changed since??? Thanks just curious, Dick

Yes, the Forbes Rifle is offered in all-stainless (I was told that was new this year).

The NULA is not offered in all-stainless, and when I asked about it, Melvin said, "no, I want them to last." As only he can..... grin

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My wife gave me one for Christmas in 30-06. Local shop had it I stock. I mounted leupold 6x with heavy duplex. I cleaned bore with Shooters choice and Kroil then sighted in 1.5" high at 100y with Federal 165 NBT. Bore sight got me on paper at 25, adjusted and took one shot at 50y, adjusted and took one shot at 100y and adjusted. I let barrel cool completely then shot 3 shot group that was less than 1" (around .65). I then hunted with it and took an average 8pt and two hogs, all shoulder shots. No issues with rifle. I one point I hunted in rain, so I ran some dry patches through it just to make sure no moisture in barrel. After that I fired one shot at 100y to check zero and it was good. The bolt is not as slick as I like, but it seems to be getting better (or I'm getting use to it). I have worked the bolt unloading the rifle a good bit. For such a light rifle recoil is not an issue. I plan to clean it and test some other loads, just haven't had time. Overall I'm pleased so far. Trigger pull is good, so I didn't feel the need to measure it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (44mc, 35, 345dl, 338rcm, 300Sav, 7887mm08, 15 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,979
Posts18,499,570
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.