-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,478 of 1,842 1 2 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1841 1842
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those that lampoon slug guns are sorely mistaken. Yes, they have their limitations, but how many deer in Minnesota are really shot at long range. We're not all sitting on the edge of a bean field or looking down a pipe line or power line. Shots inside the woods seldom test the long range capabilities of most firearms or shooters for that matter. The new slug guns can reach out further, and with greater accuracy than the older smooth bore and Foster slug set ups. As Berettaman said, we do give up a bit on the long range side of things, but these new rigs are very accurate to those that know how to make them perform.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have two slug guns-an old smoothbore 870 and a Mossy 500. The 870 has the barrel silver soldered to the frame and wears a Leupie base and rings, and a Weaver K 1.5x-4.5x. It shoots one hole groups at 50 yards and 2" groups at 100 yards. Sighted in 3" high at 50 yards puts it 3" low at 100 yards. My little Mossy is a plain jane 500 that I added a cantilever rifled ported barrel to. I'm still working on loads for this gun, but it shoots inch groups at 100 yards with Hornandy SST loads. 'Haven't had a chance to take it out to 200 yards yet.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There are no such rules here in South Carolina as to whether to use rifle or shotgun in different areas. I have opportunities to use either/both depending on whether I hunt really thick places or open areas. Also I have had the experience of jumping up a deer going to or coming from a stand. My main deer firearm is a Baikal MP-94 over/under. The top barrel is 12 gauge with screw in choke tubes and the bottom barrel is .308 WIN. It is topped with an extended eye relief 1.5-4.5X32 Simmons scope. I have found it to be very accurate with either rifle barrel or shotgun barrel.
Actually this is my "one" gun which I feel is good for any game in season.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
but you can use buckshot can't you?

in the slug zones in MN it's a solid slug only. maybe it's that way in SC too, I ton't know. I do know buckshot is legal in many southern states.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Buckshot or slugs are legal. I carry buckshot going into a stand and change over to a Brenneke "KO" slug when I get there. Coming out I revert to buckshot.
The average shot in the upstate in the woods is 40 yards.

Stan in SC

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Buckshot or slugs are legal. I carry buckshot going into a stand and change over to a Brenneke "KO" slug when I get there. Coming out I revert to buckshot.
The average shot in the upstate in the woods is 40 yards.

Stan in SC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that's what I thought, sounds about like Virginia then. I was stationed there for 3 years. blew my mind when I first learned they used buckshot.

kinda like when I moved to SD and learned road hunting was legal for small game and turkeys. just seemed wrong to me because I grew up with it being illegal.

smile I still can't bring myself to do it

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave

You couldn't pay me enough to hunt shotgun slug country and for a lot of shotgun slug hunters, you couldn't pay them enough to hunt in rifle country.

Quoted for truth.

The "culture" of our shotgun zone hunters is quite different than that in the rifle zone.

I did the shotgun zone once (other than muzzle-loading season, which is obviously quite a different animal) and won't do it again unless I am on about a zillion acres of private land. Alone.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by northern_dave

You couldn't pay me enough to hunt shotgun slug country and for a lot of shotgun slug hunters, you couldn't pay them enough to hunt in rifle country.

Quoted for truth.

The "culture" of SOME OF our shotgun zone hunters is quite different than that in the rifle zone.

I did the shotgun zone once (other than muzzle-loading season, which is obviously quite a different animal) and won't do it again unless I am on about a zillion acres of private land. Alone.

Fixed wink

smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I grew up hunting the shotgun zone. Never hunted the first two day season always hunted the 4 day second weekend. The farmers I knew all did the first and let me hunt the second worked well for me. I was always invited to hunt with them but liked to be on my own.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm really not sure why someone would want to from rifle back to shotgun. Kinda weird IYAM, but nobody did. laugh there were plenty of shotgun area near my place in WI, but we were in rifle. A few years ago, they switched to rifle and nobody I know or heard of wants to switch back.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I wish we would switch to rifle where I hunt. (South of 10)

If they did, I doubt people would want it switched back.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well you guys in eastern ND are weird, so who knows. grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave,

I'm assuming it was too cold for an ice castle break, this last weekend ?

Damn near froze me butt to the living room couch !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Im just happy we can now use 22 centerfire for deer.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by fluffy
Im just happy we can now use 22 centerfire for deer.

I have traveled over to the rifle zone 3 miles away and took a doe with my 22-250. There was more damage there than when I have shot deer with shotguns or or my 7mm mag. That little bullet makes a mess and definately kills.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Dave,

I'm assuming it was too cold for an ice castle break, this last weekend ?

Damn near froze me butt to the living room couch !

We could have pulled it off but I prefer to not have the fam out there when I know its going to dip under -30. The smaller lp tanks don't have the capacity to overcome that kind of cold, they usually do fine when full but you are likely to have troubles if you try to run one out before switching tanks. The thin walls of the fish house, it would work, we could stay warm but the furnace would never stop running. All of this, and also the vehicles, and the little Honda generator, nothing performs perfectly in those temps.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's a lot of cold to keep that many mechanicals running without issue.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tzone

Here is this years forky with the mighty 338. I had not used it on anything since 07 so this year it went deer hunting.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That looks liken to worked better for you than the deer. grin

Page 1,478 of 1,842 1 2 1476 1477 1478 1479 1480 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 12 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.