Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'll be able to cut back to part time at 58 and retire fully at 62. My wife and I take nice vacations but live well below our means with very few "toys". So many of the young guys at work don't save and stupidly state "I'm going to work until the day I die". They seem to think that their health will be good until the day that they croak. I keep telling them that there's a big difference between working because you want to and working because you have to.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by wageslave
I have employees that don't.
I've talked til I'm blue in da face.......
Then they wonder why they don't advance above minimum wage......

If their only making minimum wage, they can't save, they have to eat and pay bills. Been their and done that. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread is funny and sad as [bleep] simultaneously

Everyone including myself is saving for retirement with all kinds of incredible plans for enjoying the fruits of our labors during our "Golden Years"

My doctor who is barely 60 and not yet retired has gone down with an incurable blood disorder and will die well before he enjoys his best laid plans.

There are no guarantees

Enjoy your life as you live and treat yourself along the way.

Eat your dessert first and die a pauper!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
35 years ago we assumed that SS would not exist when we retired, so we planned accordingly.

Last edited by logger; 02/23/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am the Forest Gump of investing. I went all in on Microsoft in 1994. Then I went all in on Google at the IPO in 2004, where I still am.

Gold, Guitars, Guns, etc make 3% compounded.
I have made 20% compounded annually over the last 20 years.

Everyone knows more about investing than I do.
They all say a 63 year old like me should not be in growth stocks.
I guess I am just dumb.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

There are no guarantees

Enjoy your life as you live and treat yourself along the way.

Eat your dessert first and die a pauper!

As other have posted in this thread - one needs to strike a balance. I've seen retired folk trying to live on little more than Social Security and it sucks. I know people who have saved for retirement and are enjoying themselves and that looks like the way to go to me. I hear people talk about their standard of living going down when they enter retirement. Not me; I am planning for my income to be the same or (if I am lucky) higher in retirement. I live frugally and have a reputation as a tightwad but the only thing I want for now is more time to enjoy my hobbies. I would like to be able to go on another bicycle tour (like Birdwatcher's epic adventure last summer), but I'm not going to quit my job to do it.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I am the Forest Gump of investing. I went all in on Microsoft in 1994. Then I went all in on Google at the IPO in 2004, where I still am.

Gold, Guitars, Guns, etc make 3% compounded.
I have made 20% compounded annually over the last 20 years.

I guess I am just dumb.

At age 60 hour should not be in growth stocks. They are the most volital and would take the biggest huge drop in a correction.

You've already take the risk over the years and done well. It's too late to remake it if you loose it. Time to get a tad conservative at age 60.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I disagree somewhat as it depends on the investor. The 'fire is always good for generalizing... I have not invested in stocks outside of what my company provides as part of my annual final compensation, base, bonus and stock. That said, at 53 and retiring within months I do and have for years invest in fairly high risk funds but check them daily (30 minutes) and do a full re-evaluation quarterly. I have my accounts set up such that I can be out of them and "under the mattress" in two days which I have done four times in 28 years at it. Lots of scenarios but the key is the majority do not even explore them. I am a dumbazz engineer that could not spell Wall Street 28 years ago when I started investing fresh of of college. Hell most here won't trust their spouse with money let alone a financial adviser.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My goal is to be, easily, the largest in my quartet.

and have a Honda step-through drag bike.
But that's just me.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtimer303

If their only making minimum wage, they can't save, they have to eat and pay bills. Been their and done that. GW

Sir, this is rural Idaho.
On ten bucks an hour I sent two girls to private school.......
It was a life choice.
These employees could invest if they wanted too........
They just choose smoking, tattoos and texting on smart phones instead.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

It was a life choice.

That's amazing you did all that on your own at only 10.00 per hour.

Great job.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

It was a life choice.

And that, folks, says it all.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
OrangeOkie, When I was in my early 40's, I had that "pretty much" doubled. But, with some shrewd market strategy, I lost most of it. So, I started over! In 1041 days, I get to see if I can make it without a job!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm

I guess I am just dumb.

If they are suggesting you should be in growth at over 60 years old, they know less than my 6-year old son.

Just say'n.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you plan to burn it all up by the time your 80, then you've still got close to a 20-year time horizon.

If you lost it all in a market crash, could you still work well enough to take care of your needs? If so, growth isn't all that crazy. A balanced portfolio would make for more stability though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No worries, Obama is working on that little retirement thingee as we speak.

[Linked Image]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The $$$ Social Security pays out at age 62 sucks.

Be aware that if you have other income, you will have to pay income tax on part or all of your Social Security money. Right now, I am paying close to 25% of what I draw, back to them in April. They do not hold it out, so you have to come up with cash. Most people do not know that you will be penalized for taking care of yourself, and I did not either until the first April of retirement. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm well above any of those amounts buy I stopped investing in the stock market last year at 40. I don't like all my eggs in one basket. I've invested heavily in other retirement plans over the last 20 years, and continue to. I now am receiving about $30,000/year from those investments that are paid off.
I fear the stock market crashing and a lot of people will be in trouble. It doesn't hurt to also invest in land/rentals/business or something liquid.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by milespatton
The $$$ Social Security pays out at age 62 sucks.

Be aware that if you have other income, you will have to pay income tax on part or all of your Social Security money. Right now, I am paying close to 25% of what I draw, back to them in April. They do not hold it out, so you have to come up with cash. Most people do not know that you will be penalized for taking care of yourself, and I did not either until the first April of retirement. miles

Correct, if you start drawing SS before your full retirement age, you will be penalized for every dollar you earn over $15,720, in 2015.

I.E. for every $2 you earn above that amount, you will be penalized $1 in SS.

It's probably better to keep working past age 62, if you can, instead of trying to draw SS early and then continue to work.

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There is a whole lot more to the retirement picture and financial health than what you've got in a 401k.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 12 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,245
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.