Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9631715 02/24/15
R
ribka Online Sleepy OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
A possible job transfer opportunity might come up in the near future for a position in Billings, MT. I hunt and fish quite a bit in MT and have Driven through Billings a few dozen times.

Any input on quality of life in Billings? Home prices in good areas, etc? Decent airport to fly out of to other cities?

I know gets cold in winter and hot in summer.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Airport is good/large.

Not familiar with housing.

Weather down that way is not bad IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to live in Billings.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
ribka Online Sleepy OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Thank you.

I have noticed that Billings has really grown the past decade. I bird hunt around Billings and enjoy fishing up in Ft Peck and fly fish the Big Horn. Would prefer more trees but seems like worse areas to live.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eekEgads!! You and Travis BOTH in the same state??? crazy

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call the Chamber of Commerce in Billings, ask for a relocation pack, you will get a large envelope stuffed full of info on the city, real estate, things to do, etc. If for some reason they don't have such item, any real estate office will be glad to send you one.

Last edited by jnyork; 02/24/15.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Trees are overrated.

One thing about MT (and you obviously know this) is you are going to have to drive no matter what. Texans think they drive a lot? They ain't got schit on the people in MT.

So you have to ask yourself, does Billings have MOST of what you want? Because very few places in MT have it all.

In my opinion Billings is a pretty good launching point for doing most anything. And that is what I would consider more than anything else.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Personally, if you want to live in the west, just take the transfer and don't look back. I don't know where you live now, but there really isn't much that you can't get/do/find in Billings that would be worth traveling somewhere else for. Unless you live for professional sports or have to attend a concert every other week or so. That, and it's a little short on beaches. It's got a decent enough airport to get you to those things.
Housing is probably the most reasonable there of the "cities" in Montana, and if you want to live on the outskirts, it's not much of a commute.
Can get a little warm in the summer, but doesn't have as harsh a winter as a lot of the rest of the state. Neither cold nor hot lasts very long.
As far as getting out of town, a 2 hour drive can get you from lakes to mountain top to high plains to wherever (except a bigger city).
Bring a truck, bring a boat, bring a good attitude, and you'll enjoy it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Airport is good/large.

Not familiar with housing.

Weather down that way is not bad IMO. I wouldn't hesitate to live in Billings.

Travis

Coming from someone that lives in Havre...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shrapnel

All you snobs in Bozeman are the same.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep sticking my toe in the Montana water with my wife to see if she'll go for a move. The latest was last week when a job I'm well qualified for popped up on Manhattan, Montana. Pics of the area look nice, if a little thin on trees and I see it's near Bozeman, which I understand is a college town and probably fairly liberal.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel

All you snobs in Bozeman are the same.

Travis

Yeah. I remember driving down from Calgary about 30 years ago to do some fly-fishing in the Bighorn and some spring creeks down thataways. Stopped at a convenience store in Billings to get some whiskey and the little gal looked at my driver's license and chirped, "It must be a treat for you to come to a big city, isn't it?"

I had to smile at that.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Scott-
Yeah it's a college town. Keep in mind that fairly liberal in Montana is probably fairly conservative most other places. There is that element to it though.
I will drive to Manhattan (or Logan, or even Willow Creek) for a good steak, though. Better than most anything you can get in Bozeman.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
But that dig aside, I looked really hard at Billings when I moved back west in 2011. My decision came down to where I'm at now and Billings, and in fact if the hospital there had come up with a just a bit more scratch, I'd be living there now instead of here in butt-phuggin-Egypt west Texas.

Like Travis said, anywhere in that part of the world you're gonna be driving to get anywhere... but the anywheres you can drive to from Billings blow anywhere else outta the water. Provided you like to hunt & fish & recreate outdoors.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I keep sticking my toe in the Montana water with my wife to see if she'll go for a move. The latest was last week when a job I'm well qualified for popped up on Manhattan, Montana. Pics of the area look nice, if a little thin on trees and I see it's near Bozeman, which I understand is a college town and probably fairly liberal.

I'll never understand the fixation people have on trees.

Travis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I know. You'd think they'd never heard of planting a shelter belt... sheesh...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin

You'really not doing very well in your assumptions..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep. I grew up in Bozeman, and while it is more liberal compared to back then, there are still a LOT of conservatives, partly because even many of the Californians who have moved there are conservatives who grew weary of their state's politics.

As for Billings, I could be pretty happy living there rather than any place else in most other states, because as Travis and others point out, you're still going to end up driving a ways to do a lot of the outdoor stuff anyway. Having said that, I prefer living in smaller Montana towns because uncrowded fishing and hunting is only a few minutes from my door, instead of most of an hour. Left Missoula in the mid-1980's not only because of the increasing number of airheads (once got called out by a hippy when dragging a legally harvested Christmas tree back to the pickup) but grew weary of fighting traffic both at the beginning and end of a day of fishing or hunting.

But Billings sure beats Denver, or even Boise.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You could seriously do a lot worse than Manhattan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife and I lived in Santa Cruz, she's even lived in Berkeley and Boulder.. We always laugh when people call Bozeman liberal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So you have to ask yourself, does Billings have MOST of what you want? Because very few places in MT have it all.

Originally Posted by DocRocket

Like Travis said, anywhere in that part of the world you're gonna be driving to get anywhere... but the anywheres you can drive to from Billings blow anywhere else outta the water. Provided you like to hunt & fish & recreate outdoors.

Originally Posted by 264mag
As far as getting out of town, a 2 hour drive can get you from lakes to mountain top to high plains to wherever (except a bigger city).

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

As for Billings, I could be pretty happy living there rather than any place else in most other states, because as Travis and others point out, you're still going to end up driving a ways to do a lot of the outdoor stuff anyway.

. . .

But Billings sure beats Denver, or even Boise.

I have no personal experience with Billings other than driving through a few times. My son has been there a couple of times to play music, and he likes it. But, when I see posts like the ones above, I certainly take note.

Unless a person is independently wealthy and can write checks to live in his personal concept of paradise, living within strike distance of the amenities one holds dear is about as good as it gets. The ability to go somewhere on the weekend that others have to plan a vacation to visit is a tremendous quality of life benefit for a person who has to work for a living.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 02/24/15. Reason: add stuff

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,807
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.