Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I knew what you were doing! wink

Just trying to keep things in perspective.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The best thing for your dog to eat is a raw diet.

Raw bones, raw meat, berries, and raw eggs, you can also throw in some cottage cheese and yogurt and nuts as well.

If you are going to feed a kibble find something that is grain and rice free. No soy, corn, wheat, or other grains. Fillers should be potatoes if anything and it should be mostly meat.

I feed my dog Taste of the Wild mixed with the raw stuff. Blue Buffalo is also a good grain free kibble.

Most of the dog foods out there are terrible for you dogs and it slowly kills them. Feed them a healthy diet and they will be more energetic, itch less, the dog smell will mostly go away, they shed less and have a healthier coat, and their schit is way smaller and will break down much faster.

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by heavywalker

Raw bones, raw meat, berries, and raw eggs, you can also throw in some cottage cheese and yogurt and nuts as well.

If you are going to feed a kibble find something that is grain and rice free. No soy, corn, wheat, or other grains. Fillers should be potatoes if anything and it should be mostly meat.

I feed my dog Taste of the Wild mixed with the raw stuff. Blue Buffalo is also a good grain free kibble.

Most of the dog foods out there are terrible for you dogs and it slowly kills them. Feed them a healthy diet and they will be more energetic, itch less, the dog smell will mostly go away, they shed less and have a healthier coat, and their schit is way smaller and will break down much faster.

EXCELLENT! Thanks! I sure appreciate it!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ironbender
I knew what you were doing! wink

Just trying to keep things in perspective.

Good! There's always more than one side of a story!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I fed my dog Purina Beniful at one point, she was fine for the first few years but after a while she started breaking down and would itch like crazy, and lick her paws until they bled. I'd have to take her to the vet ever few months for either her paws getting infected or a yeast infection in her ears.

The vet was no help and all too happy to take my money so I did some research and found out the truth about most dog foods. I switched her to a grain free food and in the remaining 6 years of her life she never went back to the vet until the day she was put down. Not one more infection in her paws or yeast infection in her ears.

She ended up being def and had huge lumps of scar tissue on her paws from the schit food.

That was all the proof I needed to never feed a dog of mine any of that crap again... Hell even most dog treats are made from schit that is terrible for them.

Last edited by heavywalker; 02/25/15.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use Natures Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato. It's supposedly grain free and the dogs do well on it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Karen makes Libby's dog food and always has. 965 hamburger, basmati rice, sliced boiled eggs (free range) and a few other things.

Sh1t, it's better than what we normally have for dinner (Karen's in the other room now, so I can write that grin).

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is a popular local brand called "Zamzow's NeighborCat Dog Food". I don't know what's in it but apparently dogs love it...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Agree completely. I feed Taste of the Wild and my dogs do very well on it. I'd go to the BARF (bones and raw food) diet if time and circumstances allowed, but it doesn't (for me.) My dogs don't have health problems. I've seen a lot a stuff going on with some folks dogs in recent years that was fixed by going to a good, grain-free dog food.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I fed my dog Purina Beniful at one point, she was fine for the first few years but after a while she started breaking down and would itch like crazy, and lick her paws until they bled. I'd have to take her to the vet ever few months for either her paws getting infected or a yeast infection in her ears.

The vet was no help and all too happy to take my money so I did some research and found out the truth about most dog foods. I switched her to a grain free food and in the remaining 6 years of her life she never went back to the vet until the day she was put down. Not one more infection in her paws or yeast infection in her ears.

She ended up being def and had huge lumps of scar tissue on her paws from the schit food.

That was all the proof I needed to never feed a dog of mine any of that crap again... Hell even most dog treats are made from schit that is terrible for them.

Thanks for sharing that! Hopefully we can all learn from it! I had no idea just how important diet is for our little friends! I figured if they can eat their own poop, they could eat just about anything!

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hell, I eat Taste of the Wild.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Hell, I eat Taste of the Wild.

does it make ya raise your leg to pee???

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My previous 4 dogs (a lab, a beagle and two Rotties) were on Purina Dog Chow. All four of them died between ages of 6-9 from cancer. Our current lab has been on grain free and filler free since birth and he's now almost 11 years old and acts like he's 4. He's not overweight, he's energetic and has never been to the vet.

Can't say with certainty that cheap old Dog Chow was what did in the other dogs, but I can say that I'll never feed that crap to another dog of mine.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by RyanTX
My previous 4 dogs (a lab, a beagle and two Rotties) were on Purina Dog Chow. All four of them died between ages of 6-9 from cancer. Our current lab has been on grain free and filler free since birth and he's now almost 11 years old and acts like he's 4. He's not overweight, he's energetic and has never been to the vet.

Can't say with certainty that cheap old Dog Chow was what did in the other dogs, but I can say that I'll never feed that crap to another dog of mine.

Thanks! I have some friends that love dogs and always keep a couple pointers for the occasional times we get to bird hunt! They always seem to die way to young of different tings but it could just be the diet! Amazing how many stories just like yours that folks have!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with slumlord about the prop glycol, first thing you give cows with Ketosis is prop glycol. Purina was busted up years ago and the pet food went to the highest bidder, that is normal business. I used Purina for years when I had dogs with no problems . The comments about mycotoxin where dead on and open bag at home is a problem 80% of the time. Same for all animal feed.

You can't hit the target if you don't take the shot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since nearly all commercial dog foods contain food ingredients that are unfit for human consumption including carcasses of diseased animals, including dead pets recovered from vets and kill shelters that have all died from something including cancers or infectious diseases in combination with raw ingredients from China...

and that there is no governmental oversight, (as if that would mean anything), it is not surprising that so many pets suffer ill health and contract cancer.

Vat rendering doesn't effectively kill viruses and Prions.

Vets, Municipalities and Ag gets to dispose of millions of tons of toxic hazardous biological waste at no cost and pet owners of America pay for it...that's a pretty good con.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rlott
I've been feeding mine Purina Pro Plan Sport 30/20 and he's fit as a fiddle & sheetz like a draft horse.

Actually, my understanding is that is a sign of the dog not getting enough good nutrients in them. On the food that is grain and filler free, my dog craps less than the dogs did on the chow, way less. Makes sense that it's because his body is able to use more of it and not have to discard the "crap" that's not being used.

Not trying to criticize how you feed your dog at all, so please don't take it that way. Just pointing out some info I've witnessed and discussed with others over the years. not saying it's a fact either, just my experience.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This
Originally Posted by T LEE
We have always fed Iams or Science diet, none of that grocery store crap.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've fed Purina Dog Chow to dogs almost exclusively for nearly 40 years. The youngest age at which one of my dogs died was 15 years. All were/are large breeds - labs, huskies, malemutes and crosses. All in the 50 lb to 80 lb range and none of them fat.

not knocking anyone else's experiences, but it sure has worked for me. That's not to say it's the best dog food, but I think it's pretty good for the price point.

Again, the lawsuit is in regard to Purina Beneful.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Has anyone here tried a partial raw diet with their dogs? I ve fed both all raw and all kibble, the raw is absolutely superior, but holy schmidt! expensive.

I will try this out and let you guys know if I see any obvious benefit

1/504 PIR
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 2500HD, Amos63, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,574 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,670
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.