Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Would anybody call it reckless?

No. He took his time, thought it out, lasered the animal, and got set up. And the only thing endangered was the elk.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
C'mon..... grin

So an act isn't reckless if you take your time and are deliberate doing it?

And it can't be reckless because it's an animal at the other end?

smoke pole you seem really resistant to the idea that such an act may have been illegal. Why does that make you nervous? confused smile

Doesn't concern me at all....when you have experienced people on here calling the shot selection "stupid"(and more) under the circumstances,, I think we are nudging around the edges of "reckless".

Maybe you are right....maybe this sort of thing is not illegal,aside from the obvious contempt and disdain shown for the animal. But if I were a warden and witnessed something like this, I'd charge the perp and let the prosecutor and the judge sort it all out.

If you think "reckless" doesn''t count and doesn't pertain to conduct toward animals,you need to read the relevant Utah statutes. wink

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Found it macabre to say the least. Like said no issues with head shooting meat animals I get. Posting photos I don't.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
He posted this and asked what we think, knowing that it would spark a lot of controversy, BECAUSE HE HAS MONETIZED THE VIDEO. The more people click on the YouTube video, the more money he'll make off of it from YouTube. He gets a few cents each time someone watches the video.

Unbelievable.......

Gerry.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
smoke pole you seem really resistant to the idea that such an act may have been illegal. Why does that make you nervous? confused smile

It doesn't make me nervous at all Bob, but I can see how you'd be confused.

What makes me nervous is do-gooders trying to legislate what can't be legislated.

If you think "reckless" doesn''t count and doesn't pertain to conduct toward animals,you need to read the relevant Utah statutes. wink

Bob, it's common sense. If you're legally shooting at a game animal with intent to kill it, what more can you do to endanger that animal?

But since you asked, I looked up the Utah Big Game regulations brochure and the Utah criminal code on discharge of firearms. Nothing in there about reckless endangerment by discharging a firearm at game animals. I did find this though:

76-5-112. Reckless endangerment -- Penalty.
(1) A person commits reckless endangerment if, under circumstances not amounting to a felony offense, the person recklessly engages in conduct that creates a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury to another person.
(2) Reckless endangerment is a class A misdemeanor

Maybe you are right....maybe this sort of thing is not illegal,aside from the obvious contempt and disdain shown for the animal.

No "maybe" about it Bob. If you want to be sure, look up the Utah regs like I did.

And by the way, "obvious contempt and disdain" is not illegal either. Do you think it should be?

IC B2

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
But its ok to have contempt and disdain if its a wolf in your hunting area right? Just curious where some people draw the line.Let the games begin. ED K

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm not the one who's confused.76-5-112 isn't dispositive.

You got the wrong statute.

Point being it's a little late to worry about the legislature of Utah and other states passing laws that can't be enforced....this stuff is already codified in Utah and other states.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/26/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know in Oregon, the gamies could stick him with "Game Harassment" and I believe there is a statute for intentionally wounding game. Pretty even in my county a jury would fry him for that shot.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Rogue
I know in Oregon, the gamies could stick him with "Game Harassment" and I believe there is a statute for intentionally wounding game. Pretty even in my county a jury would fry him for that shot.

So shooting an animal in hunting season is "game harassment"? How do you prove intentionally wounding?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by jwp475

So shooting an animal in hunting season is "game harassment"? How do you prove intentionally wounding?

How can anyone that considers themselves a sportsman not condemn this guys actions? He should have license revocations at least for trying to be a hero and attempting a questionable, at best, shot. Trying this very low probability shot on a live animal and not recovering the animal seems like a clear case of "game harassment" or "willful waste" or whatever other moniker one could use. I see this no different than a trophy poacher dropping a deer, snagging the antlers and leaving the meat to rot.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
now THAT's a stretch.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm not the one who's confused.76-5-112 isn't dispositive.

You got the wrong statute.

Point being it's a little late to worry about the legislature of Utah and other states passing laws that can't be enforced....this stuff is already codified in Utah and other states.

Bob, I have a news flash for you, nothing you've posted is dispositive. I posted the only thing that came up when I searched the Utah code for reckless endangerment.

Maybe you'd like to post the portion of the Utah code you've been referring to that says taking a risky shot at a big game animal during the open season with a valid tag in your pocket is either reckless or endangerment.

More likely, you'll just continue with your opinions, which are not consistent from one post to the next.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Originally Posted by jwp475

How can anyone that considers themselves a sportsman not condemn this guys actions? He should have license revocations at least for trying to be a hero and attempting a questionable, at best, shot. Trying this very low probability shot on a live animal and not recovering the animal seems like a clear case of "game harassment" or "willful waste" or whatever other moniker one could use. I see this no different than a trophy poacher dropping a deer, snagging the antlers and leaving the meat to rot.

Well, you're wrong about this being the same as leaving an animal to rot. Leaving an animal to rot is black and white and enforceable. Either you didn't recover the meat or you did. And I don't know if you've noticed, but the guys saying he did nothing illegal including myself have also roundly condemned this bozo for his actions.

The distinction is, what he did was not illegal. Nor should it be.

The reason being, it's both too subjective/open to interpretation, and unenforceable.

Who gets to say what a risky shot is? Lots of guys would say a 500 yard shot at a broadside animal in perfect conditions is too risky.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm friends with a few gamies, they're good guys that seam to do the right thing.

If they could write the for anything, pretty sure they'd go for it. I know a guys that have been written for less.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What was the charge?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Game Harassment. It's written pretty loose.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I can see how a game warden would get ticked off and do that but personally I have a hard time calling an attempted shot on an animal "harassment."

You'd have to prove the guy was trying to wound the animal. I don't see how you could prove that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
His advertised attitude might be enough for a conviction, though I'm no prosecutor and not claiming to be a Leo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
He posted this and asked what we think, knowing that it would spark a lot of controversy, BECAUSE HE HAS MONETIZED THE VIDEO. The more people click on the YouTube video, the more money he'll make off of it from YouTube. He gets a few cents each time someone watches the video.

Unbelievable.......

I wonder if a fish cop could make a run at Utah 23-13-13: http://le.utah.gov/code/TITLE23/htm/23_13_001300.htm

Or, 23-20-3(u): http://le.utah.gov/code/TITLE23/htm/23_20_000300.htm

Last edited by 4ager; 02/26/15.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
So Smokepole...you are perfectly OK with what this guy did? As in the shot, the video, and the lack of recovery?

Also, I am not 'wrong' on 'seeing it as the same as leaving meat to rot'. That was my opinion...And I completely stand by that comment.

Page 12 of 24 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 219DW, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,688
Posts18,513,554
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.