Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I never wanted to go thinking it's just not my thing. I had a great time and really enjoyed it. Get the headphones for walking around. You will get a lot more info about the place that way. Wait till you see the "den". I spotted a mannlicher schoenauer in the gun cabinet. The library is fantastic. I really liked the servants areas and the kitchen downstairs. The built in pool was pretty amazing as was the gym.

My family and I stayed in a cabin not too far from there at a very reasonable rate and even did a horseback ride near there. Lots of deer on the property too.

Headphones are a necessity. No doubt about it. And the mannlicher? Wow. I leaned as far as I could across the Dutch door into the den and slobbered all over the floor. That gun cabinet was something.

Something else I learned in a side tour concerned the electrical wiring. At the time of construction it was not yet determined whether AC or DC would be adopted as standard in the industry. That being the case the mansion was wired for both. When you consider the enormity of the structure, the number of rooms involved and the state of the industry at the time that was quite a decision to make. Another tidbit of information concerned the bathroom plumbing. They had early flush toilets but not plumbed sinks. Seems it was only proper for servants to bring fresh water to the occupant for washing. Aristocratic don't you know.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If you have a canoe go in the summer, you can put in on the French Broad River at Bent Creek and paddle right on through, for free.

Well you need to bring a sammich, they won't feed you, but Ingles is way cheaper than the carriage house food.

Place is pretty awesome and to anyone who digs architecture and/or history it's worth going, at least once.

-Brian-
Whatever you do, do well.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
BTDT, the winery tour too, I skipped the flower gardens, the ice cream was good there too (biltmore dairy). Then I did 6 mile paddle trip the french broad river the next day.

it's a go if you're in the area

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Wife drug me there a couple of years ago and I actually ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Asheville is a pretty place and has a chitload of good restaurants in every price range. The restaurant at the Farmer's Market is great for lunch.
John

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great place to visit and even after quite a few tours of Biltmore there is still much more to know. Asheville is a great place to visit with excellent fly fishing in the area.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Cool place, was there in 2013

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
It is interesting to see what was built, in the time it was built, and with the technology at the time.
Take the behind the scenes tour (extra) and see the inner workings of the place
Beautiful country and lots of other things in the area.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Biltmore is fantastic. Do NOT arrive mid-afternoon because that won't give you enough time. Seriously, make sure you're there in the morning and plan on taking or buying lunch there.

The wine is not great, regardless of what RWE thinks. wink But it's fun to take the wine tour.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Biltmore House is well worth the time to visit. I've been a couple of times and would go back in a second. I haven't been able to get a look into what one of the guides called the gun room yet. Supposedly it is off the great dining room and was a room the gents retired to after dinner for smokes and drinks. I'm not sure about that but that was the story I was told. If it is anything like the rest of the house, it will be awesome.

Asheville, NC is noted for its craft breweries too. There are 21 different craft breweries in the Asheville area. If you like good beer, you can find it in Asheville and timing the visit to the Biltmore with their Annual Craft Beer Week might be worth looking into.

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem
Yep. If you go check out the side tours they do. One we went on dealt with the architecture. We ended up in attic areas, on the upper roof dormers, in the basement areas, etc. Also there is a tour of the service areas; kitchen, laundry, servants qtrs, etc. Been there a couple of times and enjoyed it all. A great time to go is in November when it's decorated for Christmas. Very impressive.

All this. Well worth the time and if you do the extra tours it will take all day at the house.

We stayed here http://www.bohemianhotelasheville.com and would do it again.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Family has lots of mountain property 5 minutes from Biltmore. Been in the tree for well over 220 years. All my kin before me were raised in the area mountains and grew up on the grounds of the estate and the town of Biltmore. My Grandfather ran the downtown Army-Navy Store so deep roots and great memories.

Having said the above, I highly recommend the trip. Should you decide to go I can send you a list of things to see and do. 60 miles down the road is Greenville, which is also a great little town to visit.

FWIW the highest point on the East Coast is about 45 minutes from Asheville. Big mountains!!
David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by slumlord
BTDT, the winery tour too, I skipped the flower gardens, the ice cream was good there too (biltmore dairy). Then I did 6 mile paddle trip the french broad river the next day.

it's a go if you're in the area
Bull to the Shiit! Ain't no way your tightass dropped the coin to do any of the above mentioned things. You eat Baloney and frozen pizzas on vacation.

"I'll beg to differ, sir. We started a game we never got to finish. Play for blood, remember?" Doc Holliday
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Go during the Christmas holidays. It is decorated for the seasons.

This. It's simply incredible to see and the Christmas decorations are over the top.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A BIG YES!! They do a special Christmas package. Anytime is a good time...Christmas is very nice. I've been 5 times. I'm about ready to go again. The estate is in continual renovation. Every several years new wings or rooms are opened up. The fireplace is awesome. The library is extensive...rivaling college libraries. I think the gentleman had and read volumes in 9 different languages. If you go, take one of the guided back-stage tours. They will point out lots of interesting facts and details in the structure that one would never have noticed the significance.

Did I say It is a great visit?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Biltmore is nice, been there several times,,,,, side tour of the roof is good, winery is good,,, just roaming the grounds is good
you need a couple of days to really soak it in

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I agree about the roof tour. Can you imagine what that placed must have looked like when first finished with its sandstone white walls, royal blue slate rood, and gold plated trim?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was there in the early 1950's and it was impressive. I remember the huge pipe organ they had. I also seem to remember it was a working farm at the time and they made ice-cream that was delicious, but any teenager would like fresh ice cream. I can't imagine what kind of tourist enterprise it is today.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My wife and I went last October.
It was really interesting.
I too was drooling at the glimpse into the gun room.
What I picked up on was that what's there now is only a token amount of the firearms that were there in it's heyday!
Next time I'll want to take one of the more 'in depth' tours.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I agree about the roof tour. Can you imagine what that placed must have looked like when first finished with its sandstone white walls, royal blue slate rood, and gold plated trim?

Not just that, but can you also imagine standing on the deck and knowing that when you looked in any direction you owned all the land you saw. IIRC over 125k acres early on. Eventually most of it got sold off, what remains is a small fraction of the original estate.

-Brian-
Whatever you do, do well.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by blynyrd
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Not just that, but can you also imagine standing on the deck and knowing that when you looked in any direction you owned all the land you saw. IIRC over 125k acres early on. Eventually most of it got sold off, what remains is a small fraction of the original estate.

In 1914, Edith Vanderbilt sold approximately 86,700 acres of the estate’s forested mountain land, known as Pisgah Forest, to the federal government, creating the Pisgah National Forest.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (22kHornet, 1Longbow, 222ND, 12344mag, 160user, 257man, 46 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,875
Posts18,478,865
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.