... Pray for our president...Psalms 109 verse 8
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Beautiful rifle!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If Mosin Nagant married Arisaka, it would look like this...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you are really hard up for a rifle if you custom build off these actions

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Haters are gonna hate. They would go great with a restored Ford Pinto

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Roy-
The two rifles are really attractive. The combination of the basic color and finish of the walnut stock and the blued steel is particularly fine looking. Other than redoing the bolt handle, were any other modifications made to the actions?

Your choice of chamberings is interesting. The 7x57 brings to mind the Mexican Arisakas. I'm curious about your rationale for selection of 22-250 for the other rifle.

(With his arisaka-mosin image, I'm not sure where shrapnel is coming from. Given the gun-destroying activities from which his nickname is derived, perhaps he's envious of your methodology &/or choice of test weaponry. Good grief--it took a compressed charge of Bullseye to make the M99 come apart : http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3503943/all/Blow_Up_Test_On_T99)

--Bob

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had a 1974 blue Pinto wagon. smile

I'd take any of the Finnish Mosin Nagants. I'm partial to M39s. They certainly are not compact, but they are great shooters. I have an M24 Lotta that's wonderfully accurate.

The Finns employed action shims in their stocks for help with bedding, long before it was fashionable or wide spread.

They tossed the Russian stocks and barrels and refitted them with their own.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
R
BullShooter, Thanks for the nice thing you said. First I am an 81 year old farmer in the Mississippi Delta and I have my own machine shop for my hobby of tinkering with guns. I stated collecting WW11 rifles when I was in highschool. Had a few from every nation till about 20 years ago when I decided I needed to specialize in one type or nationality of rifles. Some where on this web site is a pretty good rendition of the rifles I own.

This is a hobby that I have enjoyed for a long time. Putting these two rifles together gave me a lot of pleasure and relaxation and I had fun doing it.

Why the 7x57 - In my parts barrel I found this very nice T38 barrel that had been bored and rechambered and rifled in 7x57. How do I know it was a T38 barrel instead of one off a Mexican t38 - The cone over the cylinder is much longer on the Mexican rifle than the regular T38. It screwed up tight and the extractor notch was where it should be and the headspace was correct.

Why the 22-250 in a T99 - Back to my barrel I found this barrel and it too looked unused and the bore is beautiful and... it was threaded for a T99. It was a bull barrel and I turned it down to a sporter configuration of my liking. This was a short chambered barrel and I had to buy a reamer to headspace it, that and buying the walnut stock was all the cost except for the bluing. The maple stock was in my stock pile also.

These two rifles make 9 Japanese rifles I have sported and no serviceable rifle was used. Almost forgot I did a Swed 94 with a mannlicher stock just before these two. And I have all of them here with me, never sell one. Its all good clean recoration.

Last the butter knife bolt handles. While in Germany in 1955 I got hold of a butchered 98 mauser and carried it to German gunsmith and he put a nice mannlicher stock on it. Also put a butter knife handle on it with express sights. That has always been my pride. So I ham emulated it 5 times. Thanks for listening. Roy

R
R
bea175 I sure would like to have your dog. I showed it to my wife and she said I could keep in inside the house if I got it.

Roy

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Roy-
Thank you for the detailed reply.

Originally Posted by riceone
... Some where on this web site is a pretty good rendition of the rifles I own. ...
You posted photos of a couple of your rarer Arisaka military rifles at the tail end of this thread: Military Gun Info. They may be the ones that you're referring to.

I think forum member Hatari had the best response to critics of selecting an Arisaka acton as the basis for a sporting rifle:
The Arisaka is not a slick action for a custom rifle, but it is as reliable as an anvil. It is also a piece of history. Use it and have fun with it. Makes the best foul weather rifle I can think of. It sure is a conversation starter. (Link to thread: Anyone with 6.5 Arisaka experience).

--Bob
edited to repairr formating

Last edited by BullShooter; 02/27/15.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well I have an action. What caliber to build? I am thinking 7X57. Or a 257 Roberts.

But, I hesitate when comparing it to the Argentine above. Maybe I will just keep the Arisaka action for a paper weight. Or turn it into a hog shooter in 35 Rem or something.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cabriolet; 02/27/15.

Survivor of the 13th Original Colony, I escaped on December 17, 1968.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Haters are gonna hate. They would go great with a restored Ford Pinto

[Linked Image]

The good thing about those Pintos……………?

They weren't:

[Linked Image]

grin

Originally Posted by shrapnel

If Mosin Nagant married Arisaka, it would look like this...

[Linked Image]

Hey, nobody's family is perfect. Condolences sent anyway. laugh

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunGeek
http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=08e1534e62d37285bba1c898965ae8e6;act=ST;f=30;t=18615

This one is about the best looking one I'v seen. Not exactly a good looking rifle, but certainly not an eyesore.

It's no more a an eyesore than your filthy communist ass, which doesn't say much.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 3,185 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,290
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.