-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I recently found a box of older magazines (i.e. Rifle, Handloader, etc) that I used to restock the porcelain communion reading rack.

As I perused their pages during the morning visiting hours, I read several articles dedicated to the 1895 Winchester and a question formed in my mind that could only come to a hopeless Rifle Looney.

Did any company or enterprising gunsmith ever develop a scope mount for the 1895 along the lines of the side mounts used for the pre-angle eject 1894's?

An inquiring mind wants to know. smile

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Troll Slayer--Last Best Hope and Lord and Savior of the unwashed masses.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've seen a couple original 1895s that had the left receiver wall D&T'd for after market (non-original) scope mounts. I suspect they were same type mounts that screwed up to many '94s

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My great grandfather's slab-side carbine in .30-40 had a side mount and a low power scope. I don't think it was drilled and tapped by a 'smith, I think the mount used factory threaded holes. I don't have the gun handy so I can't check to be sure.

Definitely a side mount, though, off an inch or more left of bore-center. The iron sights were visible and got as much use or more than the optics.

Good memories thinking back about that rifle. I remember him getting really really mad at me one time 'cause ... gasp ... I cleaned it. He was sure it wouldn't shoot straight after that.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_O_M
My great grandfather's slab-side carbine in .30-40 had a side mount and a low power scope. I don't think it was drilled and tapped by a 'smith, I think the mount used factory threaded holes. I don't have the gun handy so I can't check to be sure.

Definitely a side mount, though, off an inch or more left of bore-center. The iron sights were visible and got as much use or more than the optics.

Good memories thinking back about that rifle. I remember him getting really really mad at me one time 'cause ... gasp ... I cleaned it. He was sure it wouldn't shoot straight after that.

Tom

I react the same way to clean rifle barrels. smile

Thanks for information about the scopes.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for the pictures.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tmitch
I've seen a couple original 1895s that had the left receiver wall D&T'd for after market (non-original) scope mounts. I suspect they were same type mounts that screwed up to many '94s

I wonder if a side mount for an 1894 would also work with a 95?

HMMMMM....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Probably, but I wouldn't screw up an unmolested original '95 like that. A Japchester? Drill away!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have done some stupid things to guns. But I wouldn't mess up a nice original 95.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 1895 (30 govt) that had a lot of holes drilled in it when I bought it. It wears a williams peep on it. I get along with it real well.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My eyes are so bad I have a lot of trouble using open sights.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have the same probs with a peep sight HBB? I'm just starting into my 40's, with the usual vision issues, but I can still shoot a peep well.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I will be 47 my next birthday and I have arrived at the bifocal requirement with my eyesight so I am even blinder than I have been.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I have 1895 (30 govt) that had a lot of holes drilled in it when I bought it. It wears a williams peep on it. I get along with it real well.

buying them that way means you can use it without as much fear of dinging it. (I'm too careful even with a SMLE)

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 35 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.