Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We shouldn't base what is legal and what's not on what the non-hunting populace would deem acceptable. Otherwise running shots would be illegal, shooting trophy bucks instead of meat does would be illegal, etc.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Shodd
I believe you'd be one of few men on a jury who would aquit.

Shodd, from reading your post and others, I believe I'd be one of the few on the jury to listen to and follow the law rather than my own emotional reaction to what this guy did.

If you want to explain what law he broke (I'm talking about the shot selection, not the stupidity of putting it on youtube, or blaze orange, or shooting across the road) and why he broke it (evidence) then be my guest, I'll tell you exactly how I'd vote.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
We shouldn't base what is legal and what's not on what the non-hunting populace would deem acceptable. Otherwise running shots would be illegal, shooting trophy bucks instead of meat does would be illegal, etc.

Agreed, and that's not (I hope) what is being discussed here. There are already statutes in UT that may well deal with this specific case. They've been discussed and at no point (at least IIRC) were those discussions in regard to what a non-hunting populace would find agreeable or not.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of the people, by the people, and for the people. It seems to me the general populace at least on this forum feel that it should be a punishable offense.

Last I checked the general populace of this forum does not write, nor enforce UT law.

I am also very confident that such a matter put to the general populace would pass as punishable by more than 90%.

I call hogwash. The youngins would be like "Cool shot!" and the Libs would be like "You murderer!" Either way, no way you're gonna get a 90% vote on anything.

Not to mention this type of behavior will most likely have a large effect on the non hunting crowd that at this point are not against hunting. It is the kind of behavior that could finish hunting as we know it.

Chicken-Little much?

I believe you'd be one of few men on a jury who would aquit.

If no law was broken, you have to. Otherwise, YOU are the one breaking the law.

Any deviation from the will of the people is called communism is it not.

Shod

Google Communism. Me thinks you need a refresher course.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am also very confident that such a matter put to the general populace would pass as punishable by more than 90%.

Shodd, that means a ballot initiative in most states.

Why don't you provide a brief summary of what your ballot initiative would say, in other words, describe what you would make against the law that would specifically apply to what this guy did.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Ringman
Why don't we just call a 900 yard shot on an unwounded animal a douche move and call it a day.

That might be good advice for you. On the other hand, there are hunters who, under those circumstance, could make a killing shot all day long.

I find this 'all day long' as hard to believe. Also, anyone shooting that far would be going for center mass, if they really knew what they were doing. This was a stupid shot regardless of who shot it. Like John Burns said...why pass up a 2 moa shot for a 1/2 moa target that has a tendency to move quickly and regularly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"just because you CAN, doesn't mean you should"

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Also, anyone shooting that far would be going for center mass, if they really knew what they were doing.

Unless part of their goal was to continue participating in a ongoing thread called "headshots" (see one of my earlier posts for a link). An opportunity to get your ego stroked if you can pull it off or lead people to believe you pulled it off.

CR

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by hangunnr
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Also, anyone shooting that far would be going for center mass, if they really knew what they were doing.

Unless part of their goal was to continue participating in a ongoing thread called "headshots" (see one of my earlier posts for a link). An opportunity to get your ego stroked if you can pull it off or lead people to believe you pulled it off.

CR

Yeah...I saw that thread. An interesting take on 'sportsman' in that thread.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
"just because you CAN, doesn't mean you should"

Very true. If we're talking about long-range hunting in general though, just because you wouldn't doesn't mean others shouldn't.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shodd,

Not to mention this type of behavior will most likely have a large effect on the non hunting crowd that at this point are not against hunting.

Anti-hunters are irrational. If the guy made a perfect center punch on the elk's head the anti's would react the same.

Smokepole has at least one ally here.

We don't need more laws!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very few have suggested more laws.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

We don't need more laws!

The "laws" are already there. And have been for some time.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

We don't need more laws!

The "laws" are already there. And have been for some time.

Yep. Just like laws against employers not paying employees for work done.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We'll know soon enough if any Utah laws were broken.

Anyone care to wager on that? I'm talking about his shot selection, not the blaze orange or the issue of shooting over the road.

I'd wager that he will not be convicted of any offenses because he was stupid enough to take a 900-yard head shot.

Any takers?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

All I've ever said was, what he did, regardless of the ethical issues, should not be against the law

Your statement

So you feel that taking a head shot at 900 yds is wrong but on the other hand you feel it would not warrant being against the law? I'm a bit confused

Shod

Last edited by Shodd; 02/27/15.

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd bet him being an asswipe gets him max fines for a bunch of little things.

He'll be getting harasses for years by the gamies for any tiny thing he slips up on.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Anyone care to wager on that? I'm talking about his shot selection, not the blaze orange or the issue of shooting over the road.

I'd wager that he will not be convicted of any offenses because he was stupid enough to take a 900-yard head shot.

Any takers?

As a parent if your child behaved as such do you feel it would warrant zero discipline?

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by coldboremiracle
What do you guys think?

http://youtu.be/95NUv1bLJTQ

I think you should've put the effort into getting closer. But then you couldn't show off what a great shooter you are. And trying for a head shot at that distance - if that's what you were even aiming for, which I doubt. It was a real azzhole stunt. And it didn't work did it? Then you're dumb enough to be posting the video.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Any takers?

As a parent if your child behaved as such do you feel it would warrant zero discipline?

Shod

There's nowhere that smokepole said anything like that.

He's been very consistent in his position that he doesn't think the douchebag's shot broke any CURRENT laws. I've disagreed with that position, and stated why.

As for new laws: none are needed. Enforce the ones on the books. They are there, and if you look at them in the same perspective that I have, then they are sufficient.

Page 15 of 24 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1911a1, 65 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,727
Posts18,514,301
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.