-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A few days ago, somebody here wanted suggestions about how to fill laser cuts in 1911 grips.

This is neither a suggestion nor a recommendation. I wouldn't dare try it, because I'd certainly make a mess of it. (And I'd have to get it right the first time.) Even if you're more daring and skillful than I ever was, it'd be wise to try it first on something that you can afford to throw away. Starting over would NOT be an option.

Brownell's may still sell Epoxy Black Pigment as a fine powder. I've used it to install butt plates and recoil pads (with release agent on plates and pads that were to be removable). Used that way, it does a beautiful job, easily.

One could (theoretically) fill laser cuts with a black epoxy paste, making sure that there was no little internal (infernal? laugh ) bubble, then sanding it flush and refinishing the grip.

I once had to replace the missing grip cap on a fine European rifle. The cussed thing was too wide for any commercial grip cap that I could come-up with, so I made one out of a ¼-inch-thick slab of solid-black Plexiglas.™ After I filed it to shape (curved side-to-side and fore-and-aft) and fine-sanded it, it looked like solid-black buffalo horn.

My guess is that solid-black epoxy, fine-sanded, would have the same look.

The big problem, I think, would be allowing plenty of working time before the paste got too hard to work with.

Marinas and boat shops sell a water-thin epoxy — Cure Rot™ — that might be better for black-epoxy inlays than Brownell's Acraglas.™ I haven't tried it, so I don't know about that.

Carolina stock-maker Joe Balickie told me about Cure Rot™ in the late 1970s — said that he had extra-good luck using it to toughen gun-stock areas that he was about to checker. (Also said that he was tempted to try it as an extra-tough stock finish.)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If you try it, let us all know your results — successes, problems, failures, solutions, whatever — preferably with a good photograph or two.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Ken,
Thanks for the tip about release agent on a recoil pad or butt plate. I have bedded quite a few rifles, but never had the good sense to consider installing a pad like that. I have epoxied them in place, but never liked that idea much. I wish I could have made the Arizona hoopla this year. Best Regards, Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (22kHornet, 25aught6, 280ACKIMP, 222ND, 270wsmnutt, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,379
Posts18,527,486
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.