Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Who has one ... what model ... and your thoughts on using it for a carry gun? Why did you choose the particular model you have, compared to the others in the Super Carry line of 1911's? Thanks.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think UtahLefty has one. Can't remember the thread, but if he doesn't show up maybe you could PM him...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
not a super carry, but i do enjoy carrying my procarry. I did notice the holster makes a big difference.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Who has one ... what model ... and your thoughts on using it for a carry gun? Why did you choose the particular model you have, compared to the others in the Super Carry line of 1911's? Thanks.

I have the Kimber Super Carry Pro HD

The Kimber had the “goods” that I wanted, only needing to change the grips which I would have done with any other purchase.

I have another Kimber purchased about 12 or so years ago, a Custom Gold Combat Stainless, that has been very accurate. I can’t recall any sort of failure with that pistol.

I was looking for a 4” or Commander size and rounded butt. I have several 1911s and wanted to give this configuration a go.

It would make a carry gun, heavy like all "all steel" 1911s. The shorter barrel and rounded butt help in concealment.

I hope this helps and Good Luck!

AJD

Last edited by AJD; 03/02/15.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've been carrying Kimber Super Carry Pro Lightweight Commander in 45 acp with the rounded butt for several years now. To me, it's the perfect weight and size for carry and shootability. It has factory Novac style night sights and has been very reliable and accurate, too.
I bought it because of my previous experience with other Kimbers I've owned and because I thought it's features had the most bang for the buck. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one just exaxctley like it, either.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Kimber Micro CDP on it's way. My thought was to maybe get a Super Carry for my full size carry gun and dump my XD 40 so that my pocket pistol and full size carry gun are Very similar. I just think having similar carry guns might make sense when shooting and training and also when my life might depend on them. Does that make any sense?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go with one dead reliable carry pistol and put the funds into ammo and training, but that's just me.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Kimbers owners seem to either love or hate their guns. Stories run from they work great or they're a jam-o-matic. I don't know why. I've sold them while part time in a LGS.

I can comment on their features however I have had different 1911s and right now I have 2 S&W Series E; a 5" and a 4.25" with rounded butt and Scandium frame.

Lightweight frame: 1) Lasts just as long as steel 2)Much easier to carry 3)Use your correct grip and recoil isn't an issue.

Rounded butt: 1)Less print through 2)If you have large hands you'll love it with a big smile 3)If you're hands are average it won't make much difference 4)I will still hold an 8 round mag.

4" barrel: 1)For social work; don't worry about the shorter sight radius. 2)Commanders have always been meant for social work. If you're going to the range, get a 5-6" model.

Nite Sites: for a CCW I think they're manditory. But I'm upgrading to XS ASAP.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't have a Super Carry, but I do have another Kimber model & have handled the SC Pro & I like it a lot.

Yes, there are issues from time to time with some Kimbers, but IMO, unless there is really something major wrong with the frame or slide, most other issues can be easily remedied.

I still have a TLE II Custom, & after going over the gun to fine tune everything & all parts & throwing away the Kimber magazines, it's been a 100% reliable gun for several years.

If you like the SC, get it........it's a full featured & nice handling gun & I'd bet a lot of money it will be no big deal to make it run well, especially with Tripp or Wilson magazines.

However, you also might look at the S&W Bobtail Commander sized gun with the Scandium frame or the Dan Wesson Guardian.........I have both & they are both fine guns & I prefer either over any of the Kimber line.

JMHO

MM

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have the Pro Covert 2, I have had it for over 5 years. Honestly have not shot but 3-400 rounds thru the gun, when I first got it the recoil spring from the factory was too light, converted to a Wolf Spring and it has worked with no problems since then. I converted to frog lube as the oil based lubricants were getting into the laser after 4-5 rounds and distorting the beam. I am thinking of buying another .45 1911 or something and I might just buy another one of these...yes I am boring.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
why do you prefer the S&W scandium commander over the kimber? Just curious?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
The Super Carry Pro is what I've got my eyes on ... perhaps with a Crossbreed IWB holster

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
why do you prefer the S&W scandium commander over the kimber? Just curious?

I do not care for KimPro finish on the Kimbers; the S&W has either a Melonited (black) or a true stainless slide, both of which wear better than KimPro

The S&W has the top of the slide ground flat & it's longitudinally serrated, which I like a lot.

The E-Series S&W (at least mine) has no internal firing pin safety system, it's a pure Series '70 system.

The S&W has the speed bump on the grip safety, the Kimber does not.

The S&W Scandium frame is tough, tough, tough; can't say how good Kimber's alloy frame is from personal experience.

The S&W comes with a standard 1911 barrel bushing setup; the Kimber comes with a bull barrel setup with no bushing.

Other than that, the Kimber is a fine gun & I would not have an issue with carrying it.............after I tweaked & tuned it & shot it enough to have confidence in it's reliability.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 1911sc in a 4.25" and I can't make it choke. I have put a heap of rounds through it and it just doesnt know when to stop...and it is light and accurate.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I have the Raptor Pro (4") and the Super carry ultra+ (3" / 8-mag)

The Raptor was slick right out of the box.

The Super Carry was pretty tight on the rails (failure to return to battery). Kimber took it right back and promised to correct it (they still have it).

They do have several features that make carry pretty slick - directional checkering / bobbed tail, etc.

I specifically wanted to try a 3" (summertime / shorts / sitting) but if I was to only get one, I'd probably go with the 4".

hope that helps

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You are 100% on the finish wearing off.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, BallisticBRYAN, Alan_Robertson, 13 invisible), 1,503 guests, and 722 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,638
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.